View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Gnome without systemd blocked package issue vmware Reply with quote

Hi,

After achieving long and tough Gentoo installation on VMware system now I am at the second step,

Since I don't know the drill much. I couldn't figure that out solving blocked package issue.

I am following this section (https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/GNOME_Without_systemd)

Here is the output that I am getting and I want to setup Gnome environment

https://ibb.co/ds1gQa

https://ibb.co/dD0xyv
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to use the unstable version of xf86-video-vmware. Add

Code:
=x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware-13.2.1 ~amd64

to your /etc/portage/package.keywords (if it's a file, add the line; if it's a directory, create any file in there with this line in it)

Actually, how the heck are you trying to install xf86-video-vmware? more unsupported software....
merta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
You'll need to use the unstable version of xf86-video-vmware. Add

Code:
=x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware-13.2.1 ~amd64

to your /etc/portage/package.keywords (if it's a file, add the line; if it's a directory, create any file in there with this line in it)

Actually, how the heck are you trying to install xf86-video-vmware? more unsupported software....

hi, eccerr0r that's all because of I am on the virtual machine. I can't see my hardware.

I just want to set up the desktop environment and I have selected gnome when I was installing the Gentoo.

I wasn't aware of they are unsupported. Maybe I should delete them and start again. But I need some recommendation about this too? I just started to learn Gentoo

Thank you
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'd say trying to install Gnome3 without systemd is probably better for the seasoned Gentoo user as this is an unsupported configuration. The software packages that require unmasking via keywords is also sort of "unsupported" as they weren't marked as "stable" as in there haven't been enough tests to ensure quality assurance.

It's nothing that particularly tricky really, just that it looks like you've jumped head first into the Gnome3 without systemd hack - something that I probably wouldn't suggest a new Gentoo user without tasting some of the other conflicts that arise without dealing with this overlay. Not sure if you chose to set this up because explicitly due to Dantrell "supporting" it without systemd, however as this configuration isn't officially supported, all sorts of troubles could be run across...
merta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you eccerr0r! clarifying things for me

So I am going to delete the gnome using the code using this page

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GNOME/Guide#Removal

Then can you describe to me what are my options and ways to setup user interface after fresh Gentoo installation (not unsupported versions I am done with them for couple years 8O )
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not like you have to give up on it, just that it may take a while and a lot of questions before you get a working machine.

What are you using your VM for? I guess if it was a "production" machine like what I do with my VM (QEMU/KVM) then I can't just wipe it and start over, but perhaps it may be easier that way.

Then the question is what do you want to do with the VM?

Most of my Gentoo machines I run xfce4 on them, but it's not the only option. It works just fine without systemd. Of course you can go ahead and use systemd, I have a couple of those boxes too that I run normal Gnome3 upon.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Gnome without systemd blocked package issue vmware Reply with quote

merta wrote:
Here is the output that I am getting and I want to setup Gnome environment

For the record, blockers are common. In fact, if you run ~ or do any kind of "heavy lifting", you are going to get very familiar with them and either develop your own techniques for dealing with them or start waiting for them to be resolved.

This particular blocker wasn't due to GNOME Without Systemd (especially since the project overlays freeze the state of GNOME to minimize these kind of issues).

eccerr0r wrote:

merta wrote:
I wasn't aware of they are unsupported.

The X.org xf86-video-vmware driver is still actively developed. Use it if you know why you need it. For instance, it's the only driver I use to test the GNOME Without Systemd LiveDVDs via QEMU.

eccerr0r wrote:
Actually I'd say trying to install Gnome3 without systemd is probably better for the seasoned Gentoo user as this is an unsupported configuration. The software packages that require unmasking via keywords is also sort of "unsupported" as they weren't marked as "stable" as in there haven't been enough tests to ensure quality assurance.

It's nothing that particularly tricky really, just that it looks like you've jumped head first into the Gnome3 without systemd hack - something that I probably wouldn't suggest a new Gentoo user without tasting some of the other conflicts that arise without dealing with this overlay. Not sure if you chose to set this up because explicitly due to Dantrell "supporting" it without systemd, however as this configuration isn't officially supported, all sorts of troubles could be run across...

The core GNOME Without Systemd patchset is not a hack, it forward-ports the original code and in some instances, corrects said code and/or introduces new code. Aside from the original Power Management Utilities (pm-utils) quirks, it's rock solid.

For the most part, any "troubles" encountered that weren't due to the occasional ebuild mistake, will be reproducible outside of the project overlays.

eccerr0r wrote:
Well, it's not like you have to give up on it, just that it may take a while and a lot of questions before you get a working machine.

The official documentation (which you should be following if you want support from me) works. I'll agree with eccerr0r that although said documentation has been streamlined as much as possible, it does assume that you are somewhat familiar with Gentoo.

Stick with the defaults unless you don't want to use systemd or you want to use a different GNOME release version.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: