gtk+2 default theme change?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: gtk+2 default theme change? Reply with quote

Most of the GUI apps I use on a regular basis are gtk+2 (I currently have no gtk+3 nor anything that requires it). I've been trying to wrap my head around why a minor gtk+2 upgrade (x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.31 to x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.31-r1) changed the default theme used by gtk+2. Others noticed this, for example here:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1059556-highlight-adwaita.html

It appears to be related to this:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=569552

My gtk apps have looked the same for so long (over a decade) that I never even knew what the default theme was. From that I'm finding I think it was using Raleigh. This change appears to have changed the default to Adwaita and added it as a dependency. I found that I could get the old appearance back using either this ENV variable:
Code:
export GTK2_RC_FILES=/usr/share/themes/Raleigh/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

Or by adding this to ~/.gtkrc-2.0:
Code:
cat ~/.gtkrc-2.0
gtk-theme-name = "Raleigh"
gtk-icon-theme-name = "Raleigh"
gtk-cursor-theme-name = "Raleigh"

For now I'm going with the latter, thought I'm not sure if there's a better way.

I have to say that I don't expect a simple world update to suddenly make a drastic change to the appearance of just about every GUI app I use on a regular basis...and one requiring research and some surgery to reverse. It wasn't a good change either...large menus like bookmarks didn't fit on the screen...drop down menus were borderless making them almost impossible to differentiate from the content behind them...etc...etc...all without so much as a news item?

Seems it could have been handled better.

Tom
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: