Metro: Last Light; black screen with X.org 1.19
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph K.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Metro: Last Light; black screen with X.org 1.19 Reply with quote

Game works fine with xorg-server-1.18.

After upgrading to 1.19, the usual image appears for a fraction of a second when the game starts, but then the screen goes black.
Sound and input work as normal. The game is running, just the graphics are black.
As I switch (alt-tab) back and forth between the game and other windows, I see glimpses of the graphics that should be appearing, but they disappear as quickly as the first one.

This is the only game I see this problem with.
I'm using the native Steam run-time, but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Hardware: AMD Cayman PRO [Radeon HD 6950]
Software: gentoo-sources-4.9.6-r1, mesa-17.0.1, libdrm-2.4.75, xf86-video-ati-7.8.0.

Any idea what is new in X.org 1.19 that could be causing this problem, and, how to solve or work around it short of downgrading?

Thanks, cheers.
rh
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Metro: Last Light; black screen with X.org 1.19 Reply with quote

Joseph K. wrote:
After upgrading to 1.19, the usual image appears for a fraction of a second when the game starts, but then the screen goes black.

Did a quick test to see if mine works, no issue with R390 on radeon and xf86-video-ati with MATE.

Joseph K. wrote:
Any idea what is new in X.org 1.19 that could be causing this problem, and, how to solve or work around it short of downgrading?

Well, there was about 600 patches in 1.19, the X log could give a hint. First I would try to see if disabling or enabling DRI3 would help. Second in line would be the desktop compositing, see if running with just openbox would help. Another but more time consuming would be running with another DDX. Both xf86-video-ati (or amdgpu) and modesetting should work. Last one to try would be the kernel driver, if you have AMDGPU I would try to revert to radeon, or the other way around if AMDGPU supports your GPU. These could give useful info on which component the bug is in.
Joseph K.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Metro: Last Light; black screen with X.org 1.19 Reply with quote

rh wrote:

Well, there was about 600 patches in 1.19, the X log could give a hint. First I would try to see if disabling or enabling DRI3 would help. Second in line would be the desktop compositing, see if running with just openbox would help. Another but more time consuming would be running with another DDX. Both xf86-video-ati (or amdgpu) and modesetting should work. Last one to try would be the kernel driver, if you have AMDGPU I would try to revert to radeon, or the other way around if AMDGPU supports your GPU. These could give useful info on which component the bug is in.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I just upgraded xf86-video-ati to 7.9.0 and removed some old settings from xorg.conf, which together had the effect of switching from EXA to Glamor acceleration, but that didn't fix the problem.
I think my card (Northern Islands, 6950) is too old for the AMDGPU driver.
Desktop compositing is not the culprit.
LXDE with OpenBox, same problem.

Not much luck!

I may end up bisecting xorg-server at this rate.
Joseph K.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have Metro 2033: Redux to test with. All the other games I have installed (Amnesia, Antichamber, FEZ, LIMBO, SOMA, World of Goo) work fine.

I think I'm just going to use 1.18 until I finish the game, then go back to 1.19 and, ummm, hope that the issue never comes back.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: