View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:14 am    Post subject: Anyone Else Driving an Electric Car? Reply with quote

Really enjoying my Nissan Leaf while really looking forward to the next one with a much larger battery. 70 miles range at moderate speeds turns into 50 at freeway speeds. But it's quiet, clean, and fits my daily commute perfectly. Plus Cisco gives me free electrons at work.

- John
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, still using gasoline. However, Oahu is a pretty ideal place for electric cars. Charging stations at all malls and many shopping places.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever works for one's own situation. 70 mile range would not be anywhere close to what I need.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

70 mile range? That's not even safe.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we seldom take it out of the metro Atlanta area where lots of things are relatively close by. We still have a Prius for longer jaunts.

- John
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for hybrids such as the Prius. Their mileage isn't great, and the environmental impact isn't much if any improvement. I like the concept of the Chevy Volt. But it is pretty pricey for what you get, and not compelling.

The Tesla Model S is too expensive, otherwise I'd probably have bought one of them. The 3 has zero appeal, especially for the cost.

Options like the Leaf or Bolt just don't have any appeal, and range isn't sufficient (at least for the Leaf). I'm not sure of what other options exist. I'm not aware of any other options ~$40k.
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're starting to look more attractive over here (UK), that's if could swap my car around (long story) - still think the technology is a wee bit immature.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole concept of lugging huge, heavy batteries is flawed. Carmakers have to throw n resources at regular cars or put them into already big SUVs to hide the fact, and the result is that a regular gas-guzzling Jeep Wrangler is environmentally friendlier over the entire course of its life if you factor in the total impact beginning at the production line. We really need the hydrogen car to succeed instead.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
The whole concept of lugging huge, heavy batteries is flawed. Carmakers have to throw n resources at regular cars or put them into already big SUVs to hide the fact, and the result is that a regular gas-guzzling Jeep Wrangler is environmentally friendlier over the entire course of its life if you factor in the total impact beginning at the production line. We really need the hydrogen car to succeed instead.
Too unsafe. What is needed is a distributed charging and a MASSIVE improvement in battery tech (I am thinking flow batteries here, perfect for cars).
The benefit of petroleum spirit is its convenience and the power density. Look at a battery ... 500Wh/l for a LiIon 9,500Wh/l for petrol. Hydrogen is only 1500Wh/l & only if you can get it compressed downto 700bar (yer thats going to pass regs...)
Thats just the volume concerns...
Petrol: 46MJ/kg
Hydrogen: 142MJ/kg
LiIon: 1.8MJ/kg

So hydrogen pops up w.r.t. weight but that is still 700bar's each car would need to sustain & during a crash...

Electric cars are fantastic as city runners (as long as tonnes of charging points...) but haulage and long distance is a different story... The best bet is biofuel(comparable in density to petrol)
THAT or thorium reactors in each car
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
but haulage and long distance is a different story...

We (England) had a solution for that, the canal network - take what can be taken off the road first.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-Boy wrote:
Naib wrote:
but haulage and long distance is a different story...

We (England) had a solution for that, the canal network - take what can be taken off the road first.
yup. This entire "we want it in the next hour" thing pushed these high energy transportation... a bit more planning and bam some goods can go via canal. Also the canals could do we alot of maint (around my area of brum there is alot going on, which is good)

Also we could use chav's to pull the narrowboats
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real solution is a Matrix. Just put people in little cubbies and let them travel and interact in virtual reality. No reason to actually move people and goods about. "Let your fingers do the walking."

In fact, no need for cubbies really. All that's really called for is a chip in each person's head!
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
The real solution is a Matrix. Just put people in little cubbies and let them travel and interact in virtual reality. No reason to actually move people and goods about. "Let your fingers do the walking."

In fact, no need for cubbies really. All that's really called for is a chip in each person's head!

So, the internet basically?
Koala Kid
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For several years we here had that project going, called Better Place, that had aimed to develop an electric car with a network of battery swapping robotic service stations.
In reality, all you got is a bastardized version of Renault Fluence which cost the same as fuel powered car, they could go only about 150km and in order to be able to swap the battery, you should've subscribe to their monthly ~$200 plan.
It has flopped, of course, and big time. I still see some of those poor suckers driving on the road, no idea how they're still able to power that shit.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

Exactly. The Internet. But with a chip inside everybody's head.
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Mardok45 wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:

Exactly. The Internet. But with a chip inside everybody's head.

We have smartphones that's sending information to the NSA every minute. Isn't that close enough?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Are there any electric SUVs? Tesla has more than proven the technology is reasonable in passenger vehicles.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ex boss had a loaner Tesla Model X (SUV) while his Model S was in the body shop. The gull wing rear doors are nigh on a work of art.

Regarding the Prius, I routinely got 50+ mpg. Do you not consider that pretty good? What it is not, is a blast to drive, but its been extremely reliable and economical. It recently turned over 300,000 miles.

- John
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
asturm wrote:
Are there any electric SUVs? Tesla has more than proven the technology is reasonable in passenger vehicles.
:lol: I think it was proved well before Tesla. They've been around since the British invented them 120 years ago.

Fuel cell vehicles are the future, not electric cars
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
My ex boss had a loaner Tesla Model X (SUV) while his Model S was in the body shop. The gull wing rear doors are nigh on a work of art.
I forgot about the X, but honestly, it seems more like a car, or a Crossover than an SUV.

John R. Graham wrote:
Regarding the Prius, I routinely got 50+ mpg. Do you not consider that pretty good? What it is not, is a blast to drive, but its been extremely reliable and economical. It recently turned over 300,000 miles.
For something like a Prius, I would think reliability would be the #1 or #2 motivation. As for 50+, I guess it depends on how much +. My 92 Honda Civic hatchback got 44mpg. So anything under 70mpg just doesn't seem notable or worthy of the "hybrid" hype.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokey wrote:
I think it was proved well before Tesla. They've been around since the British invented them 120 years ago.
That was having proven electric vehicles possible, not viable. Until Tesla, has anyone demonstrated the viability of range?

cokey wrote:
We'll see. So far they've gone nowhere. Tesla meanwhile is expanding their recharging grid. I'd buy electric before fuel cell.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:

- John

Was that a plug-in hybrid or just regenerative charging?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I'd buy electric before fuel cell.

That's because you're a global warming denier.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
cokey wrote:
I think it was proved well before Tesla. They've been around since the British invented them 120 years ago.
That was having proven electric vehicles possible, not viable. Until Tesla, has anyone demonstrated the viability of range?
GM had one in '99

pjp wrote:
cokey wrote:
We'll see. So far they've gone nowhere. Tesla meanwhile is expanding their recharging grid. I'd buy electric before fuel cell.
Right now, so would I. The world needs to get behind hydrogen like it is behind petroleum. Take some money saved by not invading countries [from another thread] and put it into that. Badda-bing! No more middle east problems
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only opinion that matters is of Jeremy Clarkson, pbuh

http://www.topgear.com/videos/jeremy-clarkson/electric-cars-day-trip-part-12-series-17-episode-6
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: