View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Else Driving an Electric Car? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
You may or may not be following, but the new Leaf isn't going to be available in the US until next year.
I really wish that topics one posted to would reappear in "View Your Posts" if they're resurrected.

I had read that, too. Engineering scuttlebutt is that 40kWh was a practical limit for Nissan's passive cooling design. The 60kWh version is rumored to have active cooling (pump circulated coolant) and thus is a larger departure from their existing battery pack design. It's also rumored to support 100kW DC fast charging, which keeps it in the same "charge from 20% to 80% in half an hour" realm as the pre-2018 models.

I test drove the 2018 model in December and was generally pleased:
  • Road noise at freeway speeds was noticeably reduced.
  • Somewhat annoying coupling to bumps in the road was dramatically reduced. The Nissan rep told me that the suspension had been a major area of focus, that they had even brought in outside talent to tune it.
  • The 110kW inverter (vs 80kW on the previous version) gives a modest boost in acceleration.
  • The styling is less "out there" than the previous version.
Otherwise, it felt like a Leaf.

- John
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a dish at this :

Environmental Science & Technology wrote:

Life Cycle Assessment of Connected and Automated Vehicles: Sensing and Computing Subsystem and Vehicle Level Effects

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.7b04576

Obviously selfdriving cars ( electric I have to assume ) causes more environmental damage. A shocker! ( spelled nuclear pp G IV+)
EDIT: The damage being in form of polluting the planet.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone Else Driving an Electric Car? Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
pjp wrote:
You may or may not be following, but the new Leaf isn't going to be available in the US until next year.
I really wish that topics one posted to would reappear in "View Your Posts" if they're resurrected.

I had read that, too. Engineering scuttlebutt is that 40kWh was a practical limit for Nissan's passive cooling design. The 60kWh version is rumored to have active cooling (pump circulated coolant) and thus is a larger departure from their existing battery pack design. It's also rumored to support 100kW DC fast charging, which keeps it in the same "charge from 20% to 80% in half an hour" realm as the pre-2018 models.

I test drove the 2018 model in December and was generally pleased:
  • Road noise at freeway speeds was noticeably reduced.
  • Somewhat annoying coupling to bumps in the road was dramatically reduced. The Nissan rep told me that the suspension had been a major area of focus, that they had even brought in outside talent to tune it.
  • The 110kW inverter (vs 80kW on the previous version) gives a modest boost in acceleration.
  • The styling is less "out there" than the previous version.
Otherwise, it felt like a Leaf.

- John
Unless I'm missing something, it looks like 40kWh is still the only option. I'm curious how much more the 60kWh will cost. I think the styling change to unobtrusively mediocre was a big improvement :). Visually it appears to be a larger vehicle, which may help it compete against the "original" Prius (they've got way too many models -- something like five with a dozen or so combined variations).

There aren't many options differentiating the S/SV/SL. But the S with Charge Pack ($1,590) comes to $32,465. I just have this mental block with sending away more than $20k for a car. I didn't like it when I used credit, but deciding to not use credit makes car buying an extremely different experience.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes; should've said the "upcoming" 60kWh (might be 64kWh) version. It's rumored to come at an approximately $5k premium which, incidentally, is about what it costs to replace my Leaf's 24kWh pack.

The SV is fairly well differentiated from the S, adding alloy wheels, heat pump, better stereo, touch screen, and navigation. The SL, not so much.

I'm personally allergic to new cars. I paid $11k for my then two-year-old 2013 Leaf SV, which looked and drove (and smelled) like new.

- John
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want an electric car.
I don't want big brother with the electric car.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
Have a dish at this :

Environmental Science & Technology wrote:

Life Cycle Assessment of Connected and Automated Vehicles: Sensing and Computing Subsystem and Vehicle Level Effects

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.est.7b04576

Obviously selfdriving cars ( electric I have to assume ) causes more environmental damage. A shocker! ( spelled nuclear pp G IV+)
EDIT: The damage being in form of polluting the planet.
That doesn't appear to be what that paper says (or at least the abstract). What it does appear to say is:
  • Autonomous driving equipment uses non-zero power. Shocker there.
  • The equipment more than makes up for that additional power by driving more efficiently than humans do, resulting in a net reduction of power use.
- John
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Yes; should've said the "upcoming" 60kWh (might be 64kWh) version. It's rumored to come at an approximately $5k premium which, incidentally, is about what it costs to replace my Leaf's 24kWh pack.

The SV is fairly well differentiated from the S, adding alloy wheels, heat pump, better stereo, touch screen, and navigation. The SL, not so much.

I'm personally allergic to new cars. I paid $11k for my then two-year-old 2013 Leaf SV, which looked and drove (and smelled) like new.

- John
In the grand scheme of things, I suppose $5k isn't horrible. But I doubt it would be an option for the S, and the SV starts at $32.5k. On your list of S vs. SV differences, the heat pump would be the only option I'd want. And the touchscreen a huge negative, but those are now virtually unavoidable.

I really want to go with a used car, but the prices are shockingly high IMO. And certified barely budge from new prices. I suppose it just depends what you're after and what you can find. For a like new 2y/o Leaf, I'd pay $11k.

eccerr0r wrote:
I want an electric car.
I don't want big brother with the electric car.
:lol:

At this point I'd settle for the incremental improvement of the automotive industry seeking treatment for its touchscreen fetish.

I can't figure out who thinks a lack of tactile feedback (of using a physical knob or button) while driving is a good interface. Witness luxury Lexus that disables features while driving. Brilliant.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want all non Tesla electric cars out of the fast lane on the freeway.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too lazy to search, but I want one of those cars that Richard Hammond wrecked on The Grand Tour. Muso, it can stay in the fast lane. :wink:

It just keeps getting better
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the BMW i8 or something like that. And I saw something about an eHog. I wonder if they're going to take a page out of the auto industry and broadcast the obnoxiousness. Which is the only reason 99% of them were bought by obnoxholes in the first place.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
There's also the BMW i8 or something like that. And I saw something about an eHog. I wonder if they're going to take a page out of the auto industry and broadcast the obnoxiousness. Which is the only reason 99% of them were bought by obnoxholes in the first place.

These guys?

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

Well, especially them.

But anyone removing the baffles because they think they're / it is cool. Or think that it saves lives.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
I'm too lazy to search, but I want one of those cars that Richard Hammond wrecked on The Grand Tour. Muso, it can stay in the fast lane. :wink:

It's a Rimac. Now it's gotten another version I think.

http://www.rimac-automobili.com/en/supercars/concept_one/
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrix_neo wrote:
Old School wrote:

It's a Rimac. Now it's gotten another version I think.

http://www.rimac-automobili.com/en/supercars/concept_one/

Just what the world needs: a Croatian sports car.
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting (and somewhat surprising) news: the Tesla Model 3 uses permanent magnet motors.

- John

Last edited by John R. Graham on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chevy uses them in the Volt & Bolt (according wikipedia).

It will be interesting to see how the ecoterrorists respond.

Touchscreenification is pushing me toward antiques.

Sure it is a bit of a hassle in bad weather, but at least crank-to-start is a physical interface and doesn't use a <colorful metaphor> touchscreen!
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad choice, since most rare earth comes from bucket-head land (China).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: