Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] confused with upgrading Gentoo?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minsoehan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] confused with upgrading Gentoo? Reply with quote

I use Gentoo (systemd) + KDE Plasma and usually do
Code:
# emerge --sync
# emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y @world
to update my system.
It's ok, everything fine.

But

1) I am confused with when I read this page https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo
The wiki page says
Quote:
When a profile migration is apparent, then the upgrade has to be executed manually. The way to update may vary significantly from release to release; it depends on how deep the modifications introduced in the new profile are.

so... How can I know if my system needs profile migration?
How will the need of profile migration be apparent?
Although the wiki page says
Quote:
Portage uses this information to automatically warn administrators when they should update to a new profile.
(I have yet that experience), I just want to know if there is any command or any way to know profile migration is needed or not.

2) I found this page https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GCC
Is not GCC included to update when I run
Code:
 # emerge --sync
# emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y @world
?
If not, how can I know when does GCC need to be updated/upgraded?

3) And I also read this https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/System_set_%28Portage%29
Do I need to run
Code:
# emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y @system
?
If so, when?

sorry if the questions are stupid.
My english is weak actually so there may be misunderstanding on reading wiki pages.

Last edited by minsoehan on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for updating your profile, most times you won't need to worry too much about it, as portage will move your profile to the next year's as necessary. The main exception this, like the KDE (I view it as a complete mess, but that is just me) transition moved away from regular KDE to Plasma profile.

Now on updating GCC, yes portage will install new versions of GCC, right along other versions (they are slotted). The part portage WILL NOT do, is switch your system compiler from one version to another. This is intended to be as a conscious action to be taken. A prime example of why, is moving from gcc-4 to gcc-5, and the associated ABI change from moving between those 2 versions (need to effectively recompile the whole system). Gcc-config will show all versions of gcc installed, and also where you can switch compilers.

Similar to like gcc, the kernel is also not automatically switched either. The difference being you have to also configure and compile the new kernel, move it to your boot partition, and rebuild any kernel modules as necessary (like for your graphics card, etc..)

@System set is a portion of @World. This means that as long as you update World, @System is also updated too.

The part I do want to make note of is using depclean is recommended after you update your system. However, DO pay attention to what it wants to remove. Depclean will remove your active system's compiler and cause problems for you. So pay attention to what it wants to do, and go through the list it gives you before allowing it to continue (use -a/--ask or -p/pretend is always recommended to review portage's actions, pretend simple pretends and won't do the action, you'll have to rerun without pretend to accept the actions).
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minsoehan,

Profiles are depreciated before they are removed.

You will see a message
!!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
!!! Use eselect profile to update your profile.
!!! Please refer to the Gentoo Upgrading Guide.

every time you use emerge.

If you want to provoke it
Code:
touch /etc/portage/make.profile/deprecated
then run emerge.
emerge --sync will remove /etc/portage/make.profile/deprecated.
Other than the message, emerge will continue to work normally.

There will be a news item that tells what you need to do to migrate to a new profile.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
cboldt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little bit to Neddy's thorough reply, I've gone through three of four profile changes, and it was uneventful. No issues, no difficulties, a handful of "build again" packages due to USE changes, and that was that.
minsoehan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for thorough explanations. I now understood.

For the question about @system, Although I read https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/World_set_%28Portage%29 too, I didn't understand word encompasses right in the first line :D :D :D :D :D , now I have checked dictionary after I read this
Quote:
@System set is a portion of @World. This means that as long as you update World, @System is also updated too.
. Thanks and thanks for gcc and profile explanation and for example of emerge's warning message about profile and explanation about profile migration experience.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: