GRUB doesn't load intel-ucode.img
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squeegily
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: GRUB doesn't load intel-ucode.img Reply with quote

Right now, the in-kernel "firmware-style" CPU microcode loading (the only current method even approximating cleanliness) doesn't work on i686.

The current/only recommended way to load "early-initrd" microcode is incredibly hacky and unclean (breaks root=UUID, breaks on updates), however, the people over at Arch have already discussed this issue and come up with a reasonably clean fix.

This patch allows one to simply place intel-ucode.img in /boot and grub will detect it (in addition to, it seems, any existing initramfs.)

While the patch still needs a small bit of work (doesn't support AMD microcode, /boot is hardcoded), it seems that either it, or something very like it, would make a vital addition to Gentoo's grub for x86.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/intel_microcode#Configuration seems clean enough to me, and works just fine.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you write your own grub sections, which I recommend:

Code:
    initrd /early_ucode.cpio /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.2.3-gentoo

first file microcode from intel. second file my initramfs_which_was_a_bit_adapted

I do not see the issue now!

I just update kernel file + name, title of my boot section!

off topic: the grub scripts are already too dangerius to cause dataloss, e.g. linux mint for example. I never understood why guys would prefer a script, instead of copy a file, and just changing a few parts of a bootloader.

Code:
ASUS-G75VW roman # qlist -Iv grub
ASUS-G75VW roman #

+ Benefit of no disc waste of installed grub package in your world file. It's enough to have it just once installed on your disc.

edit: I think there was also a way to implement / build in an initramfs in the kernel. This may be more easier for you in this case.
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber wrote:
When you write your own grub sections, which I recommend:

Code:
    initrd /early_ucode.cpio /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-4.2.3-gentoo

first file microcode from intel. second file my initramfs_which_was_a_bit_adapted

that's exactly what i do. but i have my own custom script/sections instead of using the provided ones.

Roman_Gruber wrote:
off topic: the grub scripts are already too dangerius to cause dataloss, e.g. linux mint for example. I never understood why guys would prefer a script, instead of copy a file, and just changing a few parts of a bootloader.

grub2 is too much bloatware imho pandering to dumbing down (automating?) everything :( but i'm stuck with it, as i use btrfs subvolumes and don't have any other choice.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg wrote:

grub2 is too much bloatware imho pandering to dumbing down (automating?) everything :( but i'm stuck with it, as i use btrfs subvolumes and don't have any other choice.

Just write your own boot section for grub2. grub2 can be small and beautiful as grub 1 was.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: