Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] XDM fails to start KDE desktop (NVIDIA)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
libfab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] XDM fails to start KDE desktop (NVIDIA) Reply with quote

There seemingly is an OpenGL incompatibilty between the new mesa ebuilds (version 12.01 recentlly sync'ed) and NVIDIA drivers.
I run a GTX 970 Nvidia card and driver is the latest from proprietary installer (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-375.39.run downloaded from NVIDIA's website)
Installing gentoo nvidia-drivers did not solve the issue, even by closely following the gentoo manual dedicated page.

Platform is stable branch amd64 built against g++-5.4.

Reverting to mesa 11.2.2 solved the issue completely without having to rebuild any external dependency or apps, so the issue is strictly mesa-related.

I just wanted to know if there were known ways out before possibly filing a bug report.

Last edited by libfab on Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
libfab
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Solved with full rebuild Reply with quote

Issue was solved by rebuilding all gcc-related dependencies.
I conjecture that there may have been reverse dependencies that should have been rebuilt after the new mesa install yet remained undetected by portage and revdep-rebuild.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: