it87 module causes kernel 4.8.17-hardened-r2 to crash
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
l33tmmx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: it87 module causes kernel 4.8.17-hardened-r2 to crash Reply with quote

Does anyone else have problems with it87 hardware monitoring module and recent kernels? Inserting it87 causes 4.8.17 hardened kernel to crash.

I recently moved my two servers to hardened kernel/toolchain, but on one machine the 4.8.17-hardened-r2 kernel keeps crashing while inserting the it87 module. The same kernel with the same configuration (except for hardware-specific differences) runs fine on the other server. Kernel 4.4.8-hardened-r1 and normal kernel 4.4.39 works without any problems on the affected server. I tried also building a debug kernel (with grsecurity turned off) from the 4.8.17-hardened-r2 sources, but that crashes also... I found a Russian article on which someone seemed to have trouble with it87 and 4.7 series kernel, that's why I went straight back to 4.4 series.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of issues of ACPI versus direct access hardware monitoring software, of which the two conflict badly and cause crashes. It is unfortunate that ACPI does not have as many features as the direct access software but without hacking the ACPI firmware (I think hacking the DSDT is sufficient, but not sure) it's hard to work around.

Are there any debug messages reported on the console(dmesg?) when it crashes? Does it crash right away? May have to submit a bug against the upstream kernel to revert back to previous behavior, but if it's actually due to the ACPI conflict, they will be hesitant to revert.

I have so many random machines that I forget which one has it87, I recall one of them does...unfortunately my most frequently used machines do not use that chip. For the most part I had to resort to ACPI and live with the limited functionality, though currently I'm overriding it (the ACPI issue is known, but I can override and accept the possibility of a crash) for my f71882fg hardware monitoring chip...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: