K3b for other DE's
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:17 am    Post subject: K3b for other DE's Reply with quote

Anyone know of or have an ebuild for k3b that trims down the dependencies for those who don't use KDE but just want k3b in xfce, or fluxbox, or any lighter environment? Are all those deps really necessary for k3b to function?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just recently added a patch to remove the dev-qt/qtwebkit:4 dependency. That's one huge package less in the depgraph. (see 2.0.3-r5)

Anyway, I don't see many special KDE dependencies - obviously, being k3b there's kdelibs and Qt4 dependencies.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use xfburn?

And unfortunately KDE design philosophy seems to be to centralize anything that could be useful for something else into kdelibs, so you aren't going to get rid of it or its mass of unwanted dependencies as long as you run a kde app. I feel your pain. I miss kate. :(

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you didn't notice, kdelibs has been split up into Frameworks long ago so that kate:5 can only really depend on those former parts of kdelibs that it needs.

The same is not yet available for k3b in released form (it has long been without upstream maintainer), but planned for Applications 17.04.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just realized that the "long list of deps" I complained about is probably a list of dependencies of dependencies, so I decided to just suck it up. I personally prefer xfburn, but this is for Gentoo Studio, and I think the graphical user-friendliness and functionality of k3b is what I need here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: