Need help with a USB Headset and Alsa
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldTango
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Need help with a USB Headset and Alsa Reply with quote

Getting a USB Headset to work seems simple enough but for some reason I can't get it done.

I am using Alsa built directly into the kernel and I am NOT using pulseaudio and would prefer not to. After doing some kernel fixes I am able to plug it in where aplay and arecord see the device. However I am unable to select it as a default in the DE preferences controls. I have partial success by creating a ~/.asoundrc file as follows.
Code:

pcm.!default {
   card 2
                 type hw
        hint {
                 show on
                description "card 2: Headset [Logitech G633 Gaming Headset], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]"
        }
}

ctl.!default {
   card 2
                 type hw
}

This allows it to be selected and I can play music through it via VLC, but I have no sound in YouTube videos via Firefox and I get random crashes in the Linux Steam client and the MIC doesn't work or work properly (it can be heard through the head set) which might be an alsamixer setting that is improperly set.

The USB Headset is usually not plugged in at boot time but it is the device that will most often be used by default. I have been searching any and all documentation I can in a effort to get it working but much of what I find is way out of date or not relevant to Gentoo.

TIA.... :?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: