gentoo-hardened broken shell stdin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sergeev917
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: gentoo-hardened broken shell stdin Reply with quote

Hi, everyone!

For some time I've encountered a problem with a gentoo server running hardened profile and stuff, now I finally got time to dive myself into it.
The problem shows itself in this way:

Code:

srv ~ # newrole -r sysadm_r
Password:

srv ~ # /etc/init.d/nginx status
Authenticating root.
Password:

srv ~ # /etc/init.d/nginx status
Authenticating root.
Password:
 * Authentication failed for root

Logs:
Code:

openrc-run[24882]: pam_unix(run_init:auth): conversation failed
openrc-run[24882]: pam_unix(run_init:auth): auth could not identify password for [root]

What I've discovered so far -- authentication process works until it has succeded once. Then it does not work anymore until the session end and a new newrole invokation. Using strace over failed commands I've found out that the root of this problem is somewhat interesting. The actual read() system call fails:

Code:

write(2, "Password: ", 10)        = 10
read(0, BUF_PTR, 511)       = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)

Seems like pseudo-terminal is broken for new child processes:

Code:

srv ~ # read x
bash: read: read error: 0: Resource temporarily unavailable

And it looks like the problem of all this is inside pam & run_init; given I enable the following line in /etc/pam.d/run_init:
Code:

auth       sufficient   pam_rootok.so

I have everything working, but without password prompts and I would rather have them stay. Shown manipulations are made on the system in permissive selinux mode, so I don't think the problem is from this part.
Are there any ideas about how to tackle this further and where the source of the problem could be?

--
PTY manipulations are coming from run_init and open_init_pty binaries from sys-apps/policycoreutils; I have version 2.6-r1 with +pam -audit -dbus.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(i had posted this earlier but removed it as i wasn't sure what run_init was from, i use grsec instead of selinux)

there are a few pam scripts that use the "root ok" mechanism (like su), i don't necessarily think it's pam's fault, but something sure doesn't seem right there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: