[Solved] New Kaby/Skylake Laptop - Sysrcd Boot - No Mouse
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: [Solved] New Kaby/Skylake Laptop - Sysrcd Boot - No Mouse Reply with quote

I've have a new Clevo P750DM2-G laptop which I booted with both the 4.9.2 SystemRescueCd, (Fearedbliss' ZFS version), and the Ubuntu 16.10, ISOs. The 4.9.2 SystemRescueCd would not load the DE GUI unless I selected the Alternate Kernel option.

However, once in the DE, (Gnome in Ubuntu, and XFCE in SystemRescueCd), my trackpad doesn't work correctly. The pointer is pegged in the upper right corner and won't move, although if I move my finger across the trackpad and then click the right click button, the right click popup menu will appear somewhere else on the screen. I tried booting both ISOs' kernels with the "i8042.nomux=1 i8042.reset" command line switches, but it didn't make any difference.

Kernel config
dmesg output
Xorg.0.log

(I believe on an unrelated note), while examining the dmesg output, I noticed PCIe Bus Error messages which led me to this Ubuntu bug report, and after I booted the kernel using the "pci=noaer" command line switch, they no longer appear. However, reading the thread I noticed this comment which concluded with;
Quote:
So the common ground seems to be. 4.x kernel versions. PCIe wireless cards. Intel PCIe bus. Skylake CPU series laptop.

Maybe Linux support for this combination of components is still a work in progress..

Last edited by jasn on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY opinion on this topic:

You should first proper set up your box.

Quote:
36.824] (II) LoadModule: "vesa"

set up your gpu according to the gentoo wiki is your first task

--

Boot without any of those hack parameters

Disassemble your DSDT, check if there are any errors.

check for new bios

--

set up the X server properly. input device section please

--

latest kernel.org kernel => staging section => hidden options => check every options, especially wmi related, acpi related

--

run xev and debug your Human input device

--

Quote:
Maybe Linux support for this combination of components is still a work in progress..

My 3 year old ivybridge notebook has also not full linux support.

When you have proper set up your box, and it is still not solved, than its time for bugs.kernel.org

hint: do not use exotic file-systems. do not use exotic live-cds
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks..

I agree that my best option is go ahead and install Gentoo using the handbook, (and standard options like ext4 fs), and then narrow down any issues, one by one. I appreciate you sharing that methodology with me, as it may likely be the one I need to use to fully debug things.

Lastly, when I booted the Ubuntu 16.04 ISO, I had to set the kernel option nomodeset for the Gnome DE to come up, but the mouse/trackpad worked correctly then. Perhaps this input device issue was one that was more recently introduced. Anyway, I'm off to debug now.

Jason
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasn wrote:

Lastly, when I booted the Ubuntu 16.04 ISO, I had to set the kernel option nomodeset for the Gnome DE to come up, but the mouse/trackpad worked correctly then. Perhaps this input device issue was one that was more recently introduced.
Jason

boot that up and check whats loaded, + kernel version / module + config

xorg.log
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that this is an issue with the current nouveau driver, 1.0.13.

I installed Gentoo following the AMD64 Handbook, with the Desktop Profile and the recommended defaults. I also configured the in kernel nouveau driver, and emerged the xorg server with twm. Starting the x server brought up the desktop screen with the same behavior as noticed when booting Ubuntu 16.10 and the SystemRescueCd 4.9.2 Alternate Kernel. The mouse cursor is stuck in the upper left screen corner, although I can move the actual pointer, just not the on screen icon. Using the touchpad and then trying both the right and left buttons, I would see menu screens popup, on different parts of the screen, and in the twm desktop by slowly tracing on the touchpad, I could see I was enabling focus in the different terminal windows.

I then switched from nouveau to the nvidia-drivers-378.09, and after some minor headaches during this reconfiguration process, starting the x server and bringing up the twm desktop, provides me with full mouse movement again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: