nullmailer, fail2ban, and gmail
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienjon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: nullmailer, fail2ban, and gmail Reply with quote

I setup fail2ban on my server recently and have been playing around with setting up jails and the like. I liked the idea of sending e-mails as notifications (at least while I'm learning the program) and set it up to use my gmail account. When I use nullmailer directly the email sends and receives as expected. Fail2Ban, however, would send the e-mail with an immediate follow-up e-mail that states:

Quote:
Delivery incomplete
There was a temporary problem delivering your message to root@{my domain}. Gmail will retry for 20 more hours. You'll be notified if the delivery fails permanently.

I was able to get some of these to go away by changing the relevant fail2ban action.d/ files to send to my own e-mail address instead of the non-existent root@{my domain} one, but some are still showing up and I can't help but feel that I'm doing this the hard way. Has anyone gotten this to work or have thoughts as to what config I'm missing?
Schnulli
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fail2ban works easy from the idea....
reading the logs, what means all has to be logged ! ALL....
the rest is the sendmail script, search a few in the web for this sendmail script read it and you got it than, its easy.
Security is often a thing that should not be discussed in the public... got?
Because, they read it as well !
Syl20
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I well understand, nullmailer is too simple to use aliases, which is what you need to translate "root" into "yourmail@gmail.com". You need a more powerful SMTP server, like Postfix, for example.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: