Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How can I setup emerge/portage to use ppp?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LibraMark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: How can I setup emerge/portage to use ppp? Reply with quote

Hi!

I have installed Gentoo 1.1a using the stage3 iso. All went well. Then I emerged ppp, pppconfig, and wvdial by bringing packages in on a floppy.

Now I would like to set up emerge/portage to use dialup ppp. So far, I can use wvdial to connect to my isp, but emerge does not see it. It is still trying to go through my network card (just installed for the beginnings of a home network.)

Can anyone tell me how to set this up? I searched this list and read through the portage manual and man pages to no avail.

Thank you!

Mark.

P.S. I will try soon to emerge lynx or some ftp program from a floppy and see if I can at least start downloading packages locally. Any recommendations? 8)
LibraMark
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 7:36 pm    Post subject: Answer... Reply with quote

Ok, I'll answer my own question :lol: !

I looked into my Linux Complete book and saw that for ppp you can't have a default route set in your routing table (which was done during installation.) I looked in /etc/init.d/net.eth0 (I think that's the locale) and saw that this is setting it up every boot. I looked in net.ppp0 and saw there is a line there to del the default route. So if you just run it on your own: "route del default", then wvdial will be able to set it to your isp. Now emerge works perfect (but slow!) Anyway, I can do it overnight.

I will probably try to modify the /etc/init.d/net.ppp0 script with my isp info and see if I can somehow run that script to start my connection, but there is no documentation that I can find so I'm not sure how to run it.

Maybe this will help someone!

Mark.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: