View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oschtan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: LXDE Full Reply with quote

Why LXDE-environment does not include the full set of daily applications? I propose to supplement the package lxde-base/lxde-meta or create a new package in the tree lxde-base/lxde-meta-full the following applications:
Code:

pulseaudio? ( media-sound/pavucontrol )
gnome-extra/gnome-system-monitor # instead of lxde-base/lxtask
media-gfx/gnome-screenshot
gnome-extra/gnome-calculator
x11-misc/light-locker # amazing that it is not set in the standard
app-editors/leafpad
app-arch/file-roller
x11-misc/parcellite
x11-libs/libfm-extra
torrent? ( net-p2p/transmission )

Agree - the charm is LXDE applications on Gtk + (no heavy Qt) and there is nothing wrong with it in addition to using the Gnome application environment
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create your own set (thanks to asturm :wink:)
Code:
# mkdir /etc/portage/sets/
# echo -e 'lxde-base/lxde-meta\nmedia-sound/pavucontrol\ngnome-extra/gnome-system-monitor\nmedia-gfx/gnome-screenshot\ngnome-extra/gnome-calculator\nx11-misc/light-locker\napp-editors/leafpad\napp-arch/file-roller\nx11-misc/parcellite\nx11-libs/libfm-extra\nnet-p2p/transmission' > /etc/portage/sets/my-lxde
# emerge @my-lxde

V10lator
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: LXDE Full Reply with quote

Oschtan wrote:
Why LXDE-environment does not include the full set of daily applications?

Cause that's not LXDEs job. You're allowed to install whatever daily applications you like.

Quote:
Agree - the charm is LXDE applications on Gtk + (no heavy Qt) and there is nothing wrong with it in addition to using the Gnome application environment

With using gome apps you call in many gnome dependencies. Now you shouldn't compare QT and GTK as QT is more than just a drawing toolkit. It might be more fair to compair QT with GTK + all the gnome dependencies you want to pull in (many people I know use LXDE to get rid of the heavy gnome dependencies).

See also: https://web.archive.org/web/20160423125350/http://www.wikivs.com/wiki/GTK_vs_Qt and https://blog.lxde.org/2014/05/09/some-numbers-about-lxqt-for-those-who-are-curious/
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is about choice.

I tried those lxde and other De. I was not very fond of pulling in additional applications. A De should only pull in the needed base functionality. I just want the opposite. I can choose myself which file archiver and such. some do not even use file managers, file archivers, pdf readres, image viewers, calculators.

e.g. google-chrome offers quite a decent calculator
file archiver => cli is faster and works on any box.

I hardly use those meta packages anymore. Too many dependencies which screws up portage on a later point.

Quote:
media-gfx/gnome-screenshot

vs

Code:
ASUS-G75VW roman # scrot
ASUS-G75VW roman # ls
2017-02-02-215455_1920x1080_scrot.png

instantly a file called => 2017-02-02-215455_1920x1080_scrot.png, proper named with date and time.
Of course I wrote my custom key bindings for my desctop environment

--

viewing that screenshot

Code:
ASUS-G75VW roman # feh 2017-02-02-215455_1920x1080_scrot.png

IMHO => gtk+ / qt is just bloated, big memory usage!

--

Quote:
light-locker

vs

Code:
xscreensaver-command --lock; sleep 1 && xset dpms force off

xscreensaver is a decent screensaver. lock parameter locks the screen. I wait for one second so one instantly hit of my key does not wake up my screen. Than I disable the power of my screen backlight of my LVDS
Oschtan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrot... Quick snapshot of some window or some area? Or such excesses for wimps? And only from the console?

Light-locker... Is amazing that "Lock Screen" menu is present, and there is no lock.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just assign a key combination to those commands.

You need to edit a screenshot anyway usually. And I can not ever remember needing just a window screenshot. for myself a screenshot is the hole X-screen. Gimp is much faster to crop or do other things. I just screenshot and place it in my self made /screenshot folder in my home.

I doubt any DE will use this "dpms force off" to not degrade my backlight of my LVDS.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: