View previous topic :: View next topic  

How dependant are you on X?
Gotta have the point and click
9%
 9%  [ 42 ]
Need the icons but I know where to find the terminal
32%
 32%  [ 151 ]
Isn't a background what I type my text on top of?
42%
 42%  [ 196 ]
I live in an 80 column world
10%
 10%  [ 49 ]
I don't even need text apps. I grep the mail spool!
4%
 4%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 459

magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use X only for applications like firebird or enemy-territory.
the rest of time, I'm on X , but I use only console stuff ( mutt/vim ect ect ).
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm perfectly comfortable working Linux from the command line, but I prefer the convenience of a GUI.
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

professorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont use any Graphical config tools and use x msotly for webbrowsing and start diffrent aterms in wich I work. Had a realy good time last weekend when i spent the time with only a 233MHz and no X, did some C++ training :D
shash
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can use both, and often switch - all emerge in console, and any large sysadmin tasks, I just write a script.

But at the same time, I like playing games, XMMS, browsing in Mozilla, and KDevelop (Gideon), not to mention K3b.
supernovus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my home computer and work computer run X all the time. The fact that I mostly use it to have multiple terminal windows open, and do a lot of work on my X-free (hehe) server, doesn't mean I don't like a windowing environment. It's nice to be able to have a bunch of terminals open. Plus Gaim and a good graphical web browser (MozFirebird, Galeon, Konq, etc.), since links/lynx don't cut it for most sites.

For e-mail, I *don't* need GUI as I use strictly IMAP, and can access it using a GUI mail client, Mutt, or from a web-based client.

I use vim as my editor (the non-GUI version) on all my machines, so no X needed there.
My webhosting provider runs FreeBSD with ssh access, so there it's all command line oriented (although I still have yet to figure out what vi clone is being used in the jail)

So I guess the answer is "yes and no". I find X and GUI's in general to increase productivity if configured right, but I don't require them to get things done.

My "desktop" environment is a hybred version of Gnome 2.4, with ROX as the Desktop rather than Nautilus, and Openbox3 as the WM - it's fast as hell, and while maybe not as eye-candy filled as some desktops, but it's geared towards work, and getting things done.

X = A tool to increase productivity. It doesn't replace the need or functionality of CLI tools, but compliments them instead.

IMO
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For complete commandline usage I am to lazy. You have to know where you put the file and what its in it. (Sorry mc is a basic gui :) ) I need always two hands to type something on command line and sometimes I just want to eat my sandwich while I work.
I give you a simple example:
Larry 1. It was a cool game back then, but when I had to enter a command line it was pain in the butt. Later they switched to a basic gui which showed you the commands the system offered you. In Larry 7 you had the combination of both...

The Combination is the best solution. Use the most apropriate way in solving what you are doing.

All of you who are working on command line do own my respect by memorising so much usless stuff ;). (Of yourse it is IMHO and no offense ment you realy own my respects!)

The other reason is I use X is I feel home here. It is relaxing watching and manipulating the windows. Switching form one corner to another simply by klicking around with the mouse. I even have more X session open sometimes. (when I do major system nursening I make a x session for rood and as my user. Thanks to qingy this is piece of cake and I do not open a shel where i type startx x0:1 (or something alike :( )

And we all I think have one in common:
HURRAY TO FREEDOM! HURRAY TO CHOICE HURRAY TO LINUX! HURRAY TO GENTOO!

Have fun in your adventures!
- Legine
killfire
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

legine wrote:
For complete commandline usage I am to lazy. You have to know where you put the file and what its in it. (Sorry mc is a basic gui :) ) I need always two hands to type something on command line and sometimes I just want to eat my sandwich while I work.
I give you a simple example:
Larry 1. It was a cool game back then, but when I had to enter a command line it was pain in the butt. Later they switched to a basic gui which showed you the commands the system offered you. In Larry 7 you had the combination of both...

The Combination is the best solution. Use the most apropriate way in solving what you are doing.

All of you who are working on command line do own my respect by memorising so much usless stuff ;). (Of yourse it is IMHO and no offense ment you realy own my respects!)

The other reason is I use X is I feel home here. It is relaxing watching and manipulating the windows. Switching form one corner to another simply by klicking around with the mouse. I even have more X session open sometimes. (when I do major system nursening I make a x session for rood and as my user. Thanks to qingy this is piece of cake and I do not open a shel where i type startx x0:1 (or something alike :( )

And we all I think have one in common:
HURRAY TO FREEDOM! HURRAY TO CHOICE HURRAY TO LINUX! HURRAY TO GENTOO!

Have fun in your adventures!
- Legine

your bringing back a fossil...

but i might as well add my part...

i do a couple basic things on my computer:
code
write papers
browse the net
email
watch movies
generally administer (and break) my system

coding, email, and sysadministration i could go cli on, but i prefer xterms in a wm...

browsing the web, i just cant handle text only browsers.. personal failing.. so i go firefox
and for convenience i use thunderbird (but i have a local imap server so any client works)
writing papers in OOo (no latex here...)
and movies, well, thats hard w/o X (if anyone mentions ascii art they are insane)

so yes, i need X

killfire
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not my fault. Another thread was marked as a double to this one. (It was just dieing) And like always I have to tell my nonsense to everyone :)
gowator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't live without the GUI on my workstation boxes until someone designes a decent web browser that runs in FB and displays graphics properly etc.

It pisses me off that I need the whole of X just to run a browser on linux when my friggin phone can do it in FB...

Linux really is crap sometimes!

Mail Im fine with pine etc. and I'm perfectly happy with emacs and/or vi as editors but WHY do I need the whole of X just to run a proper webbrowser.... links/lynx are rather poor efforts .... I mean look at mplayer... works fine in FB, no GUI needed or Xine etc. but something simple like a web brwoser ..impossible??
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steel300 wrote:
X is only a way to have more than one terminal open on the same screen. It is rather difficult to browse the web using lynx though.

emacs is another one :wink:

But I'm an eye-candy addict so I guess I'm an X one!
tigrezno
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use X for apps like gimp or firefox, but for the rest, xterm is the choise.

I text mode i usually use screen, but it's easier looking at several xterms at once.
Enlight
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gowator wrote:
I can't live without the GUI on my workstation boxes until someone designes a decent web browser that runs in FB and displays graphics properly etc.

It pisses me off that I need the whole of X just to run a browser on linux when my friggin phone can do it in FB...

Mail Im fine with pine etc. and I'm perfectly happy with emacs and/or vi as editors but WHY do I need the whole of X just to run a proper webbrowser.... links/lynx are rather poor efforts .... I mean look at mplayer... works fine in FB, no GUI needed or Xine etc. but something simple like a web brwoser ..impossible??

Links works with frame buffer and _do_ display pics etc...
gowator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlight wrote:
gowator wrote:

Links works with frame buffer and _do_ display pics etc...

Yep but it doesn't render properly....
All I wanted is my XBOX running no X... since I can watch films in FB... but links just isn't a fully featured browser and mouse support was missing last time I tried!
seriously there is no reason it can't be as fully functional as Opera since this works on EPC and Palm etc. but noone seems to have got this far!
predatorfreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to work in X due to things like firefox, xchat and gaim. But If need be I can completely function in a tty without any trouble.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opera does not support a lot f newer featurs (like css) correctly. I do not know what the feature lynx can handle but I can say Opera is not that compatible to the newer http standards of the w3 Group. And i do not see the problem in firing up X. I believe even a simple thing like an Xbox can handle the load of X.
levicc00123
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a console because I can't see the screen well enough to use X without extreme eye fatique. So I use text-only apps with the SpeakUp modules so my computer now talks to me.
Kai Hvatum
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep my ecstasy usage down to a few times a week. But yeah I wouldn't be happy if someone took it away.
Illissius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the cli for some things and get along with it well enough, but am fundamentally a gui person.
titan100
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the apps I use the most (excluding base apps like ls etc.):
vim, php, perl, gcc, mutt, irssi, ogg123/mpg321, mplayer, firefox, gaim, latex

Since I mostly spend my time listening to music while coding/writing papers for school using latex etc, thats all I need, I never use apps like gimp or video editing etc, for me X is just a way to have many xterms open at a time really.
Steltek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run anywhere from 25 to 50 xterms on my work machine. My zshrc is split across 5 files and in total, is over 200 lines long.

I've also banged the hell out of some tcsh, bash, and ash rc scripts to get some of that functionality available elsewhere like in the barren wastelands known as Solaris and HP-UX.

Voted vt100 for victory.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: How dependant are you on X? Reply with quote

klieber wrote:

It amuses me when people equate "GUI" with "less-capable" and draw conclusions that people who use GUIs must be somehow weaker because of it.

Command line is great for a lot of things. No question about it. But, for a fair number of things, GUI is the only way to go. Web browsing is the most obvious example. How about graphic design? Video editing?

Totally agree. GUI is more productive for certain jobs and command-line for others. Its nice to have both as robust as possible which is seriously lacking in Windows. I use command-line when its more efficient and I use GUI when its more efficient.

For those running AMD 3800+ with 256MB video cards and 1024MB of RAM with 300GB HDs, and use nothing but command-line, please send me your hardware and I will ship you, free of charge, a P100 with 32MB of RAM, a 4MB video card, and a 7 GB HD in return...
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: How dependant are you on X? Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
klieber wrote:

It amuses me when people equate "GUI" with "less-capable" and draw conclusions that people who use GUIs must be somehow weaker because of it.

Command line is great for a lot of things. No question about it. But, for a fair number of things, GUI is the only way to go. Web browsing is the most obvious example. How about graphic design? Video editing?

Totally agree. GUI is more productive for certain jobs and command-line for others. Its nice to have both as robust as possible which is seriously lacking in Windows. I use command-line when its more efficient and I use GUI when its more efficient.

For those running AMD 3800+ with 256MB video cards and 1024MB of RAM with 300GB HDs, and use nothing but command-line, please send me your hardware and I will ship you, free of charge, a P100 with 32MB of RAM, a 4MB video card, and a 7 GB HD in return...

I agree with your setiments completely. Both the GUI and command line interfaces are important. I use both equally.
legine
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hehe. Good Idea.
But to be honest you can uttilize your comp with commandline application too. seti@home to give one example.
Or some coding stuff won't need the Gui. Or if you put on a webserver with nice gui on it...
As a compile box for your P100 it would be also great :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: