View previous topic :: View next topic  

How dependant are you on X?
Gotta have the point and click
9%
 9%  [ 42 ]
Need the icons but I know where to find the terminal
32%
 32%  [ 151 ]
Isn't a background what I type my text on top of?
42%
 42%  [ 196 ]
I live in an 80 column world
10%
 10%  [ 49 ]
I don't even need text apps. I grep the mail spool!
4%
 4%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 459

squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arkane wrote:
Dear god, I think that man is against everything.

So should we get into the GNU/Linux vs Linux debate? haha!
Atleast he is for freedoms and preserving freedoms in the USA, that is one type of person we need more of, especially with new "anti-terrorist" laws going into effect and the palladium sh^t.
hook
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how dependant? ...not really ..i know my way around the console, but i do use X more and more ...while still having 11 TTYs on and a konsole running at fullscreen always in my KDE :) ...i can't help it, i like both of the ways :)

(deep inside i'm still a tux's little helper)
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like X (fluxbox in my case) 'cos it allows you to play UT2k3 and Q3. It also allows you to easily get on the (lame) msn network. A CLI instant messenger isn't quite handy at least that's what i think. And yes all these things are rather unimportant but if you count em all you gotta love X ;)
i use CLI for all the file management and editing
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squanto wrote:
pizen wrote:
80 column world

80 colums?!?!?!?!
Try like alot of colums, frame buffer baby!
I like X, but I can't find a wm that I like. I have found fvwm, I like it, I just need to figure out how to config it to look like http://www.fvwm.org/screenshots/Mikhael-desk-1280x1024.png :)
Opengl is much more fun when you have X ;) so is quake / rtcw / counter-strike / unreal .... etc...

-Andrew

Groovy XP look on that screenie...
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

that's the thing i DON'T want :)
Sandlord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How dependant are you on X? Reply with quote

What is X ?

:wink:

Sandlord
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... 3x2 desktop areas that smoothly slide behind my screen on Alt-F1 - Alt-F6 in my customised Enlightenment 16.5.... compared to this using windows (not on my machine!) feels like riding a bike without a saddle :!:

Though, I start many progs from my Eterm... and I never learnt to use some file-manager under X... (In fact, they still are not user-friendly, although the most usable would be Rox and Endeavour II)
Btw. does anyone know how to drag a group of files between 2 Endeavour windows? I can't and it renders the prog virtually unusable :cry:

Cheers 8)
May The Source be with you!
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit hard to do cad stuff without a gui :) and im a sucker for eye candy while working and I like desktop navigation between multiple apps as oppose to cntl alt f* (Waimea 0.4.0 dual screen 9 vrt desktops ) , still ....not afraid to use console when I need to or feel like it .......dont like text mode quake much either lololol :wink:

Cheers
Dale.
JeroenV
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[sorry for being off-topic]

Swishy (or others), is there anything really usable for 3D CAD under Linux you know of? I'm looking for something that could compare to SolidWorks, but the apps I tried are all way behind :(
(Actually I think the only principle that can meet 3D engineering requirements in CAD is "feature based with object tree" (I don't know how to call that :wink: ), like for example SolidWork has)

Cheers 8)
May The Source be with you!
jondkent
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only really dependant on X for web surfing as I don't like any of the text based browsers at all. Most of the time I live within xterms as I find this the quickest way to do things. I've used vi for so long now that I don't even think about the keys I wanna use for a function and I find I'm always quicker in vi than a GUI based editor.

Jon
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JeroenV wrote:
[sorry for being off-topic]

Swishy (or others), is there anything really usable for 3D CAD under Linux you know of? I'm looking for something that could compare to SolidWorks, but the apps I tried are all way behind :(
(Actually I think the only principle that can meet 3D engineering requirements in CAD is "feature based with object tree" (I don't know how to call that :wink: ), like for example SolidWork has)

Cheers 8)

Im currently getting to Grips with CYCAS , after using Archicad under windows , CYCAS can output to POVRAY rendering engine , and the render's are I think better than Archicads default , poss even close to full blown artlantis etc .....if someone knows of a manual let me know as the free to download version doesnt have one :( , Id prefer to know ALL the features before buying :)
Im using a CAD package for interior design , renovations etc but it looks as though CYCAS is a capable package ...

Cheers
Dale.
Gibberx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I'm a gamer. Gotta have X. Jedi Outcast addiction... and Warcraft 3... (both of which I wish had linux binaries btw). Then there's Quake3 and Unreal Tournament... and I'm still waiting for the Neverwinter Nights binaries for linux (Fall 2002? I certainly hope so, they seem near done).

And even if I took to playing nothing but nethack, MUDs, and SVGA ports of Doom, I'd still use X so I could just look at my computer and say "Damn. That looks cool.". Fluxbox + Idesk + antialiasing in most apps = sooo sexy...
vers_iq
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason i like X is because i can open lots of terminals in one screen without the need to alt-fX/alt-ctrl-fX/alt-(left/right) etc..
KungFuHamster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:28 pm    Post subject: Typos make all the difference... Reply with quote

The main reason I like X is because I tend to type really fast and make a whole lotta typos. Usually little things, but get enough little things typed in wrong when in the CLI, and it makes things rather annoying. Sure, you can scroll back and fix them, but taht just gets irritating after the first few times.

Plus you can make it look purdy. :)
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: its not X Reply with quote

its not X that im dependant on. I would rather see a replacement for X, a cleaner and faster display server, OR some significant enhancements to X. The B.E.OS guys have done some mods to X to get some really great performance on window moving and redraws.

what im tied to is the amount of data that can be shown on the display with X. 80 columns is not enough.
squanto
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wHAcKer wrote:
Quote:

that's the thing i DON'T want :)

I want an XP theme, and then I am going to go down an get some tech support as to why something doesn't work properly at our school's help desk.
I want to see thier faces when they realize it isn't windoze. ;)
hehe
zombie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Console is fine, relaxing too Reply with quote

I didn't know I could live in a console-only environment until I had to do it a couple of years ago. My main machine broke down so I had to turn my good old redhat 6 server into a workstation for a whole winter. Added sound and an old shitty monitor, configured a user account with lynx, pine, bitchx and vi, added nethack, imported my mp3 collection, plugged in a cdrom drive and I was all set up.

I remember that winter as one of the most hassle-free of my whole life, computer-wise. It was simple, fast, easier on the eye.

A graphical interface is very helpful for tons of stuff, but I could live in the console if I had to do it again, and I'd probably enjoy it as much as before :)
zez
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I prefer either fluxbox or KDE (quite a contrast, eh?) in X, but I'm not really dependent on any graphical tool that I'm aware of. Being comfortable around the CLI came from both use of Slackware and Gentoo, but I still enjoy having a slick GUI around even if just to hold Eterms and browser windows.
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heathkit wrote:

Well, of course I can check my mail with mutt. What bothers me though is that there's no way (that I know of) to get at my KMail folders from the CLI. So if I'm at school and don't want to run KMail remotely, there's no way to see the mail in my KMail folders. Or my appointments in Evolution or KOrganizer. Sorry, not really relevent, just a personal gripe I have.

IMAP is your friend! I set up courier-IMAP-ssl. my email lives in my maildir. then kmail can see it, fetchmail can see it, mutt can see it. but it always stays in the maildir, so I can access it from my laptop, locally, or at my work computer, with kmail, or mutt, and with fetchmail I can use either kmail or mutt no matter my location. If I added squirrelmail then I wouldn't even need my laptop or my own computer, just a web browser.
Agitator[RoX]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... Id love some gadget that allows me to have a bgimage in CLI... But, I guess I'll have to make do without. :)
Other than that, Arachne is a nice CLI browser, thats actually rahter nice. :) It shows images and stuff. I used it way back when I had win95. :) I recently noticed that it exists as an alpha for linux. :) gotta love, gotta love. :)

Uh.. Otherwise, I use X when speaking to a lot of people via IM...
But as I love getting my hands dirty in configs, I seldomly use GUIs that take the fun away. :)
steel300
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X is only a way to have more than one terminal open on the same screen. It is rather difficult to browse the web using lynx though.
motiv8x
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the gui, but use the terminal most.

what good is a computer without mozilla?
Rem
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could do without X in al lot of cases I guess, but I generally use X when it works faster. If I can do something fast using console, I use that (which is quite often), furthermore I use (and like) X.
X makes it just faster to switch betweens terminals also...

And offcourse, there are programs like Gimp, QCad etc. for which one needs X.

Rem
Clete2
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need the icons but I know where to find the terminal

The only thing I need a GUI for is games...
magnet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use X only for application like firebird or enemy-territory.
the rest of time, I'm on X , but I use only console stuff ( mutt/vim ect ect ).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: