View previous topic :: View next topic  

How dependant are you on X?
Gotta have the point and click
9%
 9%  [ 42 ]
Need the icons but I know where to find the terminal
32%
 32%  [ 151 ]
Isn't a background what I type my text on top of?
42%
 42%  [ 196 ]
I live in an 80 column world
10%
 10%  [ 49 ]
I don't even need text apps. I grep the mail spool!
4%
 4%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 459

Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
Hopeless: Don't you wish emelfm2 was in the portage tree that looks liks a good program for batch copy move tasks. :) Maybe I should find some time and lern me some ebuild scripting.... :)

Yeah, I did this, as it was just as easy as building it manually and installing in /usr/local,
and then I stumbled across www.gentoo-sunrise.org/sunrise/browser/sunrise/app-misc/emelfm2 :wink:

I love this app, I really don't think I could manage without it.

ColeSlaw wrote:
Also, somebody mentioned "GNU Screen"? Is there a GUI version of screen out there? I didn't even know such a thing existed. What is it called in portage? I haven't been able to locate it...

emerge screen :P
ColeSlaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, I think I misunderstood then... I've been a user of screen in the CLI for quite some time. I thought somebody had constructed a graphical version of it. (i.e. I could open up a graphical window, press CTRL+A+D and resume it at a later time...)

Screen is one of the reasons I typically prefer the CLI over a GUI. The ability to break away and resume stuff is invaluable.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like the kde recent apps tray more as it automatically manages what you run the most (transparency is key... the user shouldn't HAVE to set up shortcuts), but i have other issues with kde that drive me up the fucking wall.
Is that sort of like how in XP apps that you run frequently find there way into the root of the start menu?

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColeSlaw wrote:
ah, I think I misunderstood then... I've been a user of screen in the CLI for quite some time. I thought somebody had constructed a graphical version of it. (i.e. I could open up a graphical window, press CTRL+A+D and resume it at a later time...)

Screen is one of the reasons I typically prefer the CLI over a GUI. The ability to break away and resume stuff is invaluable.
Such an app would own so hard.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
ColeSlaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
Quote:
I like the kde recent apps tray more as it automatically manages what you run the most (transparency is key... the user shouldn't HAVE to set up shortcuts), but i have other issues with kde that drive me up the fucking wall.
Is that sort of like how in XP apps that you run frequently find there way into the root of the start menu?

Exactly like it. I use that menu on my XP box all the time also.
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one of the things the guys at Microsoft actually got right, I also like being able to pin apps to the start menu, especially those that don't have start menu entries like Putty.

abaelinor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColeSlaw wrote:
Shadow Skill wrote:
Quote:

Exactly like it. I use that menu on my XP box all the time also.

yes, that's a seamless UI feature. call it UI 2.0 or whatever the hell you want. UIs should adapt to the way their user works and speed up this process... not force the user to repeatedly do silly actions.
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer just launching the software by typing in the binary name, with tab-completion support anyway. :wink:

Anyways, my environment is about half-half. I just use the tool that best suits me. If it's a CLI application I usually run it in X for a nice, large resolution, and to enable some optional features.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Skill wrote:
ColeSlaw wrote:
Such an app would own so hard.

I think such a thing is possible with Xvfb, but I tried messing around with it before and couldn't get anywhere.

Could you run a vnc server and have it restricted to local connections?
That'd probably be easier.
Zubzub
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the use of a gui in Linux has 2 purposes:
-it gives people unknown to the bash commandline and computers in general the ability to choose the answers to questions that lead to the thing they want to do with the computer.
-it gives people familiar with the bash commandline and computer in general the ability to do things with a speed improvement, the better their knowledge is of the configuration scripts, bash and linux in general, the less this speed advantage will be.
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earthwings wrote:
Why filter by GUI/command line? Use the program that works best. Some things can be done better (e.g. faster) using some GUI, others using a command line utility.

Moved from Desktop Environments to Off the Wall (not a support request, not Gentoo related).

Very, very true.

This is the one issue that drives me away from Windows. I should have a choice. Sometimes it's just faster to type a command in instead of going through a wizard or some other bloated GUI.

For example, if you need a task manager, you can use "ps aux | grep keyword" and then use the "kill" utility afterward, or you can use the Top utility. Both are much more efficient than a bloated graphical task manager. I love Top so much that I have it running on my first desktop all the time.

How about for system administration? It is much easier to edit simple configuration files rather than go through check boxes and stuff. Just define the variable, that's all.

This is not to say that a GUI does not boost productivity or anything like that. I need a notes application so I use the Xfce notes plugin applet. It would be inefficient to do that in a text mode because you wouldn't be able to.

I think a nice blend between the two is really the best.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the cli for a few things like file management, irc, torrents, and music (ncmpc). Everything else I pretty well just use the gui, ie firefox, gaim, klibido, linuxdcpp, etc.

Oh I also use the cli for running make and running my compiled programs or viewing my newly rendered LaTeX when doing school work. That's about the only regular recurring tasks I use it for :P
StarDragon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my linux box just for the shell and all the nifty things Windows (TM) users can only dream off 8)
abaelinor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the cli and all, but some apps are just done much better with a GUI. the thing about an awesome UI is that you take most things for granted. I personally love the tilda dropdown look, and wish I could set a different Fkey for each of the main apps that I use (gterm, firefox, evo, gaim, OOo, amarok). however, I'm finding that one of the beryl features works very nicely. i don't know which feature it is (anyone know?), but I move the mouse to the top right, and I get a preview of all the currently open windows and I can just click on one to move to it's desktop. this is such a wicked awesome feature.

also, the color inversion is nice, because every geek who stares at a screen for extended periods knows how nice it is to see lightly colored text on a dark background.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: