Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is it possible to start a service after user login (openrc?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prof. Frink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to start a service after user login (openrc?) Reply with quote

Hey,

I'm looking for a possibility to start profile-sync-deamon (psd) after a user logged in. It is necessary to wait for the user login, because the /home directory is encrypted and therefore profile paths are not reachable before the login and

service psd start

should be executed afterwards. Futhermore when logging out

service psd stop

should be executed.

Can this be done with openrc? Or are there other possibilities?

Thank you,

Frink
markisthejob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use openrc:

Code:
/etc/init.d/psd start

Code:
/etc/init.d/psd stop
Prof. Frink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want those commands to be executed automatically. Is this possible?
markisthejob
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I misunderstood.Are you saying that

Code:
rc-update add psd default

does not work for you?

You shouldn't need to worry about logging out as it should automatically stop

There are many ways to start after login so maybe someone else has a better way and can explain how to execute the command after login

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Working/Initscripts

Last edited by markisthejob on Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Prof. Frink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that does not work, because as I mentioned before, the user has to login before the job can be started, as the home directory is encrypted and paths wont be available before login. But openrc starts psd before login of the user if I add it to runlevel default.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add start script to .bashrc, .profile, or another file that will be loaded upon login.
Or even replace your user's shell with a script that will start that service and then exec the actual shell.
toralf
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
Add start script to .bashrc, .profile, or another file that will be loaded upon login.
Or even replace your user's shell with a script that will start that service and then exec the actual shell.
Probably sudo is needed to in such a scenario.
Prof. Frink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:

First the command needs root privileges and second what about the logout? The service has to be stopped before the user has logged out, because the profile directories have to be written back to the home directory before it gets encrypted again.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Frink wrote:
szatox wrote:

First the command needs root privileges and second what about the logout? The service has to be stopped before the user has logged out, because the profile directories have to be written back to the home directory before it gets encrypted again.
In the former case, you could use .bash_logout, if you are using bash as your login shell, or for instance .zlogout if you are using zsh; regardless you would need to be reasonably careful regarding other potentially login sessions being present when a login shell exits. In the latter case, the easiest solution would be to run the shell from within the script but to not actually use exec to do so, thereby maintaining control after the shell exits, then clean up once no other instances running. You also, probably, need to factor .xinitrc into your considerations if you decide to use this type of approach.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Frink wrote:
No that does not work, because as I mentioned before, the user has to login before the job can be started, as the home directory is encrypted and paths wont be available before login. But openrc starts psd before login of the user if I add it to runlevel default.

Most guys encrypt the root partition without the boot partition. When you are paranoid you could hash /boot and verify it on every boot (which I leave out).

--

When you use

gentoo handbook layout

and only use lvm2 => luks => ext4 for root you will basically solve all those issues. You just need a new kernel + a new initramfs + move the data.

--

Alternatively you could check if your user has teh permissions to open encryption, or give it the rights.

Or use some sort of automounter

--

When yu need encryption, you should at least encrypt hole root. When you are lazy you could skip /boot.

There are some files in the system which are very sensitive and therfore encrypting root should be done, when you want encryption.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof. Frink wrote:
szatox wrote:

I disagree.

We are talking about file systems. And I assuem you use luks or something else.

The files are usually written in soem time period, determined by the file system and fstab.

when you use sync it is written. =>
Quote:
The service has to be stopped before the user has logged out, because the profile directories have to be written back to the home directory before it gets encrypted again.

Just use the sync command and thats it before.

--

I just suggest as written before from myself, encrypt your hole root. and not only half of the sensitive data on your box! Do not forget about swap also. Do not use swap!
Prof. Frink
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory wrote:

In the former case, you could use .bash_logout, if you are using bash as your login shell, or for instance .zlogout if you are using zsh; regardless you would need to be reasonably careful regarding other potentially login sessions being present when a login shell exits. In the latter case, the easiest solution would be to run the shell from within the script but to not actually use exec to do so, thereby maintaining control after the shell exits, then clean up once no other instances running. You also, probably, need to factor .xinitrc into your considerations if you decide to use this type of approach.

Looks like this is the only solution.

Roman_Gruber wrote:

When you use

gentoo handbook layout

and only use lvm2 => luks => ext4 for root you will basically solve all those issues. You just need a new kernel + a new initramfs + move the data.

--

Alternatively you could check if your user has teh permissions to open encryption, or give it the rights.

Or use some sort of automounter

--

When yu need encryption, you should at least encrypt hole root. When you are lazy you could skip /boot.

There are some files in the system which are very sensitive and therfore encrypting root should be done, when you want encryption.

You are right, this would be the best setup and would solve the problem, but I'm to lazy to migrate.

Roman_Gruber wrote:

I disagree.

We are talking about file systems. And I assuem you use luks or something else.

The files are usually written in soem time period, determined by the file system and fstab.

when you use sync it is written. =>
Zitat:
The service has to be stopped before the user has logged out, because the profile directories have to be written back to the home directory before it gets encrypted again.

Just use the sync command and thats it before.

The problem is that I'm using a ecryptfs encrypted home directory. The home directory is decrypted when the user logs in and encrypted again when he logs out. The psd service may only read and write in between.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an encrypted /home directory but my curiosity was piqued regarding starting a service automatically post login and stopping it automatically pre logout. Does your installation use X Windows? If you're using a Display Manager to start a Desktop Environment, you might be able to start and stop a service by using the Display Manager. For example, LightDM has the following two parameters in its configuration file:

Code:
# session-setup-script = Script to run when starting a user session (runs as root)
# session-cleanup-script = Script to run when quitting a user session (runs as root)

I wonder if those would do what you want if you were to wrap the commands '/etc/init.d/psd start' and '/etc/init.d/psd stop' in a couple of Bash scripts and declare them in lightdm.conf:

Code:
session-setup-script = /etc/start-service.sh
session-cleanup-script = /etc/stop-service.sh

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, if eCryptFS actually decrypted your home directory on each login, that would be a huge security hole. What would happen if the machine crashed while the user was logged in? As I understand it, what actually happens is that the home directory remains encrypted, but a mutable view of the decrypted home directory is made available when the eCryptFS is opened and is removed when it is closed. Under this model, if eCryptFS had a hook that it runs at close time, you could use that to stop the service.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: