dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016 ishardblocking <2016
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldBadger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016 ishardblocking <2016 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am satisfied user of texlive system for a lot of years.
But now i found interesting dependency. After to try to run regular update system, suddenly portage told me:
Code:

[blocks B      ] <dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016)
[blocks B      ] <dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016)

It's little bit strange now for me.
Pls, do anybody know what does it means and what shall I do with it?

Thanks very much

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]

oldBadger
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
[blocks B ] <dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016)
[blocks B ] <dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016)

Well, that says you can't do a direct update to 2016 from an older version (more likely due to file collisions, and/or texlive not being split apart as much). In this case, the easier way will be to unmerge texlive-2015 then install 2016...
Fred Krogh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably have more of texlive packages than most, but after removing a few, I just decided to remove a bunch to get texlive-2016 emerged. For me
Code:
emerge -C texlive  texlive-core  texlive-basic  texlive-bibtexextra \
texlive-mathextra texlive-latexextra texlive-fontsextra texlive-genericextra \
texlive-pictures texlive-fontsrecommended texlive-fontutils texlive-langenglish \
texlive-fontutils texlive-games texlive-genericrecommended texlive-latex \
texlive-texinfo pgf

And then after emerging texlive, I added this to get back what I had earlier.
Code:

emerge pfg texlive-bibtexextra texlive-latexextra  texlive-fontsextra\
texlive-genericextra  texlive-texinfo
Of course by this time, I can't recall why I wanted each of these packages, but at some time I must have thought each of them would be useful. One package that doesn't emerge with 2016 is texlive-mathextra. I don't expect this to be a problem.
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would probably be easier to go with app-text/texlive if you want most/all of texlive instead of installing each part independently.

Edit: Looking at the commit date, you may have to sync (and possibly wait a little bit) for it to be available, as it just got committed today.
albright
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"<dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016

there is no mention of 2015 in this block message

it is very confusing

how can a package block itself? (this is what it looks like to ordinary readers)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's very strange.
oldBadger
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
Code:
[blocks B ] <dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016)
[blocks B ] <dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016)

Well, that says you can't do a direct update to 2016 from an older version (more likely due to file collisions, and/or texlive not being split apart as much). In this case, the easier way will be to unmerge texlive-2015 then install 2016...

Oh, very sorry, wrong listing...

After a command:

emerge -avuDN world

I've get a loong list of packages would be updated and in the end of that list is:
Code:

[blocks B      ] <dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016)
   [blocks B      ] <dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016)

and this is a little bit strange, in my opinion...
:-)

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. Unchecked Disable BBCode in this post so that poster's quote tags work. -Hu]

oldBadger
NewSun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldBadger wrote:
ct85711 wrote:
Code:

Oh, very sorry, wrong listing...

After a command:

emerge -avuDN world

I've get a loong list of packages would be updated and in the end of that list is:

and this is a little bit strange, in my opinion...
:-)

No, if you know what does it means...
its relatively simple. Symbol "<" in listing says that older version of texlive-basic LESS than 2016 is blocking version newer one, 2016 of texlive-basic

Uninstall old version manually and install new one.

Its typical problem of mixig stable and testing branch.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, this is happening on ~arch systems' upgrades right now. ;) And usually you would expect portage to auto-resolve that kind of blocker, but it seems that *2015 versions of those package MUST NOT be present on the system even at build time.
rsa4046
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience as well ... thank you for posting this thread
asturm wrote:
Not really, this is happening on ~arch systems' upgrades right now. ;) And usually you would expect portage to auto-resolve that kind of blocker, but it seems that *2015 versions of those package MUST NOT be present on the system even at build time.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:

Well, and now 5 month later this block appears on now stable texlive-2016 :)
Wallsandfences
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what am I supposed to to?

emerge --depclean texlive doesn't find anything to remove, and emerge -C texlive would kick out only the container and no other packages, so in case of still not being able to update texlive I'd be left with an unusable tex-installation.

R.
Wallsandfences
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I unmerged all the mentioned packages triggering Blockers, started the world update, which had no more blocks and hoping for the best...
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here on stable amd64. Left me confused for a few moments:
Code:

[blocks B      ] <dev-texlive/texlive-langgerman-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-langgerman-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016)
[blocks B      ] <dev-texlive/texlive-langenglish-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-langenglish-2016" is hard blocking dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016)
[blocks B      ] <dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016" is blocking dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016)
[blocks B      ] <dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016 ("<dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016" is blocking dev-texlive/texlive-langenglish-2016, dev-texlive/texlive-langgerman-2016)

Finally realized what portage is saying with '<' is 'substitute 2015 for 2016' and unmerge the blockers as usual.
Code:

# emerge --unmerge dev-texlive/texlive-langgerman-2015 dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2015 dev-texlive/texlive-langenglish-2015 dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2015

and that did the trick.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be precise, any version < 2016 was unacceptable as a solution to the dependency constraints. Version 2015 is one such version, but 2015-r1 or 2014 are also unacceptable if you had those instead. When removing the package is an acceptable solution for your environment, you could use '<dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016' (exactly as shown by Portage) so that it removes all versions less than 2016, regardless of their exact value. If you do this, note the quoting, since otherwise the shell will interpret < as a request to redirect input.
Wallsandfences
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The *-2016 installed well after removing the older packages as per post #3
R.
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hu, I didn't realize that syntax would work.

Code:

# emerge --unmerge '<dev-texlive/texlive-langgerman-2016' '<dev-texlive/texlive-basic-2016' '<dev-texlive/texlive-langenglish-2016' '<dev-texlive/texlive-latex-2016'

worked fine on another Gentoo box I had with the same issue. In this case only *-2015 was installed anyway, but technically it's the better approach.
quazgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallsandfences wrote:
The *-2016 installed well after removing the older packages as per post #3
R.

Same here, but is there a way to do this automatically? Or is there a bug report already?
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quazgar wrote:
Same here, but is there a way to do this automatically? Or is there a bug report already?

Some discussions here and here
teika
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Summarized in Wiki Reply with quote

Wiki now summarizes the upgrading instruction and the reasons behind it. Thanks for discussion. (Maybe it has to be revised by the TeX team.)

@oldBadger: Could you add "[solved]" to the title?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: