View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Gentoo is dying - a wakeup call Reply with quote

I am aware that there have been dozens of threads announcing the dead of gentoo.

However, I am afraid that the situation was never as serious as it is now :(

The situation has become really dramatic: The lack of manpower is visible in every corner. Almost the only maintained packages left are those from system, and even there maintenance is visibly going down (e.g. the last gcc and glibc bumps were taking several months).

Some examples of missing maintenance in projects crucial for any mainstream distribution:
  • TeX-live is apparentely abandoned by gentoo since half a year, probably longer: The bug for bumping is completely unanswered so far.
  • Important projects like palemoon are not in the main tree. (At least there is an overlay, but not official.)
  • Important desktops like trinity are completely missing. Despite this seems to be actively maintained and there are packages of this desktop for any mainstream distribution (even for minor ones), it is ignored by gentoo. There once was a thread which points to some overlay. This overlay still seems to be maintained, but it is mainly a live overlay and so inofficial that it cannot even be found through standard means (layman or zugaina overlay list). Of course, there exists a corresponding (unanswered) request for inclusion into gentoo.
  • sci-mathematics/* is practically only available through overlays if at all
  • dev-java/* is practically only available through overlays if at all.
This is certainly an incomplete list of examples. It does not include the huge lists of packages which have been removed from the tree just in the previous weeks due to lack of maintenance.

Summary: Some essential packages for a major distribution are not available at all, and some only through overlays, sometimes even so inofficial that they are difficult to trust. The lack of TeX-Live has become a serious obstacle to use Gentoo for daily work in the academic sector. Probably the lack of Trinity is also considered essential by some people. And the lack of safe browsers like palemoon is perhaps dramatic for everybody. Specialized developers (like for java) can practically not use gentoo, either. Quite soon, gentoo will lose the corresponding user base if nothing changes.

Can gentoo change the situation? I really don't know, and I don't have suggestions which might save gentoo, but perhaps others do have.
That crucial packages like texlive are unmaintained simply must not happen for a mainstream distribution like gentoo (especially since the packaging of other distributions like from Debian could to an essential part be used here).
luismw
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess your perspective must really depend on what packages you use.

I started using gentoo back in 2010, after bouncing from distro to distro, never looked back since.

I stopped using overlays about three years ago, because all the packages I needed where incorporated into the main tree and are perfectly well maintained.

We can enter an endless discussion cherrypicking packages (you say palemoon, I counter with Vivaldi, which is regularly updated; you say trinity, I answer i3...) and getting nowhere.

I sync daily, and everyday dozens of packages get updated. You can even get graphs from github from the last year and a half or so (https://github.com/gentoo-mirror/gentoo/graphs/). It hardly looks like a dying project.

That being said, it is true that some packages could use some love. For instance, I maintain texlive outside portage with tlmgr, which as an added bonus reduces disk footprint immensely.

So, it depends a lot on your particular use case.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only "solution" is for more users, especially longer-time users such as yourself, to become developers.

I agree TeX-live is essential, but its packaging (last time I looked) is a real nightmare. So it needs someone who relies on it, on an everyday basis, who also groks ebuild development, and has the necessary motivation to stay on top of the morass. You, IOW. ;-)

WRT gcc and glibc, the former has moved very quickly in the last 3 years, by comparison to earlier periods (I'd never have expected we'd be on 6.x already.)
The interesting Gentoo work on those, goes on in hardened, IMO, and then lands in the mainline later.
Doesn't bother me so much, in that the essential requirement is for a decent compiler and libc, and we have plenty of versions that still work fine.

So maybe it's just one of the natural lulls in Gentoo; when an influx of developers move past being recent graduates, and get on with other stuff/have kids/etc.

Who knows what the next influx will bring? Hopefully we'll get some stubborn mules who actually love the UNIX tradition, and need a rock-solid base to work from, rooted in that foundation.

Whatever happens, we're always going to get some of the "look, shiny!" brigade, and personally I like all the Gentoo desktop shots down the years.
Decent use of the base doesn't preclude good graphics, which are very traditional, ime.

So become a developer, already, just for Tex-live, which you clearly rely on and use, on a daily basis; self-evidently you have the know-how to work on ebuilds.

Every distribution relies on users becoming developers; Gentoo even more so, as that's all it has.

Last edited by steveL on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
I agree TeX-live is essential, but its packaging (last time I looked) is a real nightmare.

Sure. It needs a lot of manpower. That's what is missing.
Quote:
You, IOW. ;-)

I did/do more than enough. Moreover, if a distribution depends on a single person to double/triple his effort only to keep the maintaining of basic packages, the problem already lies much deeper.
Quote:
and get on with other stuff/have kids/etc.

Yes, it seems this has happened to the core of gentoo so that practically there is nothing left; or at least no enough left to keep the distribution alive.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv ... to add to your list (mostly gentoo projects):

=app-portage/mirrorselect-2.2.2-r2 ... topic, bug from 2014-09-20.

=app-portage/gentoolkit-0.3.2-r1 ... 'glsa-check', 'equery changes', 'revdep-rebuild' (bug), and possibly others (it was the case that some commands were using obsoleted 'portageq' parameters not sure to what degree this has been rectified in the current stable release). This 2013-03-31 bug is probably relevant wrt maintenance.

app-portage/* ... not sure of the status of many of these but I imagine there are a number currently broken (due to 'portageq', or other changes).

=sys-devel/crossdev ... I completely gave up on it so can't comment on the status of current stable but from the number of posts here, and open bugs I'd hazard it has various issues.

sys-apps/openrc ... right now I wouldn't trust the maintainer not to break things willy-nilly, and you can add to that the runscript => openrc-run migration.

x11-drivers/xf86-input-{mouse,keyboard,synaptics} ... the last stable update breaks input when no udev is installed (or running, I'm not sure). That makes sys-apps/busybox[mdev] no longer an option if you want xorg (sans {e,}udev).

>=sys-apps/usbutils-008 ... usbids co-opted by systemd developers (and so the package no longer builds without udev, and the package dependencies don't reflect this).

best ... khay
Irre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make Gentoo great again :D

The PC is dying, while RaspBerries, mobile phones, smart TV and handheld computers etc are being more common. I want to see an easy to install Gentoo for these new common devices.

Gentoo should also be used in schools to educate young people how it is possible to build a complete system from source code. The operating system should not just be a black box.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

crossdev can be a challenge. Some targets are more of a challenge that others and there are reported issues building cross toolchains on multilib systems.
All I can say is that it works for me on /no-multilib/ amd64 for Raspberry Pi, 1, 2 and 3.
Pure cross compiling is its own nest of vipers but thats not a crossdev issue.

sys-apps/openrc I'm still on 0.17 but be have discussed that before :)

x11-drivers/xf86-input-{mouse,keyboard} I need to use on my static /dev. I admit I don't run stable though.
I don't have a touchpad to test synaptics on.

>=sys-apps/usbutils-008 is as you say, a PITA, I've stuck with =sys-apps/usbutils-007 to avoid the damage inflicted by the systemd takeover.

Irre,

I think that the PC is changing rather than dying. Its becoming more of a low powered network appliance than something to tinker with so the pool of potential Gentoo devs is reducing.
Potential devs are little more than users/consumers.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
I agree TeX-live is essential, but its packaging (last time I looked) is a real nightmare.

mv wrote:
Sure. It needs a lot of manpower. That's what is missing.
I did/do more than enough. Moreover, if a distribution depends on a single person to double/triple his effort only to keep the maintaining of basic packages, the problem already lies much deeper.

Well, yeah lack of people to commit to the work.

I agree it's too much for one person to take on, on their own; but you can easily attract some helpers from the forums.

I'd help with bash review, but it doesn't seem you'd need it, to me. Can gladly test out ebuilds; really it's a best-effort works-for-me in testing. Other users will put in grunt-work to get it to stable, so long as they feel someone is going to use their effort (so they don't have the solo maintenance burden in private.)
Quote:
and get on with other stuff/have kids/etc.

Quote:
Yes, it seems this has happened to the core of gentoo so that practically there is nothing left; or at least no enough left to keep the distribution alive.

Yes, but it's a standard part of the lifecycle, which is why we've had lean periods (and associated threads) before. Eventually some new blood gets attracted, often old-timers out of sheer exasperation as well as exploring newcomers (who tend to have more energy.)

Not trying to trivialise, or deny the issue: just trying to turn it into a positive "Become a developer" thread.
That only really works when you focus your effort on packages you use daily, and rely on working (at least in the initial stages of becoming a developer, and in keeping the motivation later.)
Then it's a part of maintaining your workflow the way you like it.

Quite often users don't even think of getting involved, until a thread like this is raised, whereupon they realise they do have a few hours a month to keep their beloved distro running (so why not help out, even if it means jumping through a few hoops.)

After all, the alternative is too horrendous to contemplate ;) -- a future without Gentoo, schlepping around various other distros or systems, and never quite having the same control, but always missing it (which is why we came back.)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
crossdev can be a challenge. Some targets are more of a challenge that others and there are reported issues building cross toolchains on multilib systems.

Neddy ... yes, but my criticism was directed at how sys-devel/crossdev functions, like how it selects {PORTDIR,CROSSDEV}_OVERLAY, and the fact that (even when using --ov-output) you can't have something like /path/to/crossdev-mips-unknown-linux-uclibc and not then have some nested dir. Similarly you shouldn't end up with the following when doing 'crossdev --help':

Code:
/usr/--help/etc/portage/make.conf
/usr/--help/etc/portage/make.profile
/usr/--help/etc/portage/profile
[...]
/usr/bin/emerge---help

Doh!! ... plus all the pollution of /etc/portage/package.* ... and why is /etc/portage under /usr even? Not to mention that it writes to other repos, eg:

cat /var/pkg/mv/profiles/categories:
cross---help

Just the fact that it selects the first repo in PORTDIR_OVERLAY shows that it isn't, or at least wasn't, well implemented.

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Pure cross compiling is its own nest of vipers but thats not a crossdev issue.

No, but those issues above are, and in the context of this discussion if we are using this as a selling point then it really shouldn't have these sorts of bugs (though in some sense the problem is brought on crossdev to some degree by the simple fact that gentoo doesn't use a top level namespace for the location of repos and so crossdev wings it).

NeddySeagoon wrote:
x11-drivers/xf86-input-{mouse,keyboard} I need to use on my static /dev. I admit I don't run stable though.

Hmmmm ... you have virtual/libudev, {e,}udev installed?

NeddySeagoon wrote:
>=sys-apps/usbutils-008 is as you say, a PITA, I've stuck with =sys-apps/usbutils-007 to avoid the damage inflicted by the systemd takeover.

The sad part is I contributed to hwids/usbids ... and now I've been locked out :P

Irre wrote:
The PC is dying, while RaspBerries, mobile phones, smart TV and handheld computers etc are being more common. I want to see an easy to install Gentoo for these new common devices.

Iree ... as the saying goes be careful what you wish for ... the 'C' in PC is 'computer', most of these devices are not computers (in the sense that a human subject programs them to do a task) they are pre-programmed interfaces (and such things carry with them how they should be used). It's entirely anecdotal but I noticed that as soon as my correspondents got a smart phone, blackberry, or iPad their emails became reduced to three word blackberryitus :)

best ... khay
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't think that Gentoo is dying, the areas that mv pointed out are definitely sore spots. Gentoo needs to attract people who are willing to work on this, rather than turning them away.
steveL wrote:
The only "solution" is for more users, especially longer-time users such as yourself, to become developers.
This sounds easy, but in practice there have been problems.

For one, Gentoo needs to be friendly and welcoming to new developers. But if you read our mailing lists, often the tone is very harsh and unfriendly.
Then you have the problem of conflicts and mutually incompatible personalities. This can be addressed by mediation and talking to the parties, but I think it happens not nearly enough. Instead, it usually ends with one of the parties having their way and the other going away.
Then you have the situation when someone recently was retired as a developer, all his recruits got their Gentoo new developer bugs closed on them, with a message to go find a new mentor.
Then you have the situation with github. I understand that many developers (including myself) have serious reservations about github. But this is where open source development happens nowadays and what people are familiar with. If we get a pull request from there, ignoring it or bursting tirades against github will not motivate contributors to do that again.

What to do about it? I don't have a solution that would address all these problems immediately. I guess attitudes need to change as a first step.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irre wrote:

I don't think the PC is dying. We may read that PC sales have fallen for the last five years in a row, but the reasons for that are more complex than simply the purchase of smartphones, smart TVs, tablets, etc. The fact is, the historical reasons for buying a new PC every couple of years no longer apply; people and corporations can hang on to their existing desktop PCs and laptop PCs much longer these days:

Why Moore's Law, not mobility, is killing the PC

The Real Reason No One's Buying PCs Anymore: They've Gotten Too Good

Before the advent of the smartphone and smart TV, my house had a PC and traditional TV, and some family members had laptops. These days my house has a PC (well two, if you count my server) and a smart TV and a tablet, and family members have laptops and smartphones. So the PC and laptops have not been replaced by the new gadgetry, they have been supplemented by it.

As to the topic of the thread, I believe Gentoo will not die out, because it is rather unique and there will always be a group of people -- albeit a niche -- who enjoy the challenge of developing and using it rather than a mainstream, binary distribution. Apart from the additional control Gentoo offers those who are prepared to put in the extra effort to use it (yes, there certainly is more effort than using a mainstream distribution), I think some people just prefer not to go with the flow, and seek something different. There is nothing wrong with that.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
chithanh
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is slightly off topic, but the PC market is in terminal decline (in other words, dying but not dead yet). PCs will not go away overnight or even next decade, but their sales have peaked and will never recover.

And the reason is that smartphones have disrupted PCs. The rise of smartphones coincided with the peak and decline of PCs. PC usage and installed base are down too, which cannot be explained by users hanging on longer to their PCs,
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

Quote:

Code:
$ eix virtual/lib
* virtual/libudev
     Available versions:  215-r1(0/1) (~)232(0/1) {static-libs systemd ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32"}
     Description:         Virtual for libudev providers

It seems not. The entire output is at https://paste.pound-python.org/show/BKDZG8M7MyOaKTDrIwL2/

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Quote:

It seems not.

Neddy ... sorry, I wasn't clear ... or sys-fs/{e,}udev? I'm not sure about the virtual but I thought it was provided by systemd, udev, or eudev.

best ... khay
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

Quote:
... or sys-fs/{e,}udev,

That looks like a 'no' too.

Code:
$ eix sys-fs/eudev
* sys-fs/eudev
     Available versions:  [m]1.9-r2 [m]1.10-r2 [m]3.1.2 [m]3.1.5 [m](~)3.2 [m](~)3.2.1 [m]**4.9999 [m]**9999 {+blkid doc efi gudev +hwdb introspection +keymap +kmod +modutils +openrc (+)rule-generator selinux smack static-libs test ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32"}
     Homepage:            https://github.com/gentoo/eudev
     Description:         Linux dynamic and persistent device naming support (aka userspace devfs)

roy@NeddySeagoon_Static ~ $ eix sys-fs/udev
* sys-fs/udev
     Available versions:  [m]216^t [m]225-r1^t [m](~)228^t [m](~)229-r2^t [m](~)230-r1^t [m](~)232-r2^t [m]**9999^t {acl doc +firmware-loader gudev introspection +kmod selinux static-libs ABI_MIPS="n32 n64 o32" ABI_PPC="32 64" ABI_S390="32 64" ABI_X86="32 64 x32"}
     Homepage:            https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
     Description:         Linux dynamic and persistent device naming support (aka userspace devfs)

* sys-fs/udev-init-scripts
     Available versions:  27^t [M](~)29^t (~)30^t (~)31^t (~)32^t **9999^t
     Homepage:            https://www.gentoo.org
     Description:         udev startup scripts for openrc

Found 2 matches

Ahhh, package.mask contains :-
Code:
# an over my dead body hard mask
# dump GNOME and anything else that has this as a hard dependency at any version
sys-apps/systemd

# go back to a static /dev
sys-fs/eudev
sys-fs/udev

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Wallsandfences
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

related to texlive

Code:
!!! Fetched file: gedit-latex-3.8.0.tar.xz VERIFY FAILED!
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
!!! Got:      443824
!!! Expected: 437768
Refetching... File renamed to '/usr/portage/distfiles/gedit-latex-3.8.0.tar.xz._checksum_failure_.e9xcjxg1'

!!! Couldn't download 'gedit-latex-3.8.0.tar.xz'. Aborting.
 * Fetch failed for 'app-editors/gedit-latex-3.8.0', Log file:
 *  '/var/log/portage/app-editors:gedit-latex-3.8.0:20170119-193544.log'

>>> Failed to emerge app-editors/gedit-latex-3.8.0, Log file:

>>>  '/var/log/portage/app-editors:gedit-latex-3.8.0:20170119-193544.log'

* Messages for package app-editors/gedit-latex-3.8.0:

* Fetch failed for 'app-editors/gedit-latex-3.8.0', Log file:
 *  '/var/log/portage/app-editors:gedit-latex-3.8.0:20170119-193544.log'

from eva overlay
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Quote:
... or sys-fs/{e,}udev,

That looks like a 'no' too.

Neddy ... in which case I'm stumped, perhaps I should pull x11-input-synaptics out of the equation. Not to derail the thread any further but could you do me the favor of providing your xorg.conf.d (or whatever you happen to be using) via pastebin, or tarball?

Thanks in advance & best ... khay
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam,

Here it is. Its grown like topsy over the years.
Code:
$ wgetpaste xorg.conf
Your paste can be seen here: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/tyotlccyGMVo6t4oYvHq/

Things get added, things get commented out and very rarely, deleted, so its full of junk.
When I make a mess of it, I start again from a copy.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so long i got bug reports from debian users, bc my app is crashing at quit.

It turns out Gcc6 is shipped in debian without --enable-__cxa_atexit,
so static global class will segfault at exit, eg QString from Qt ( maybe every static class ? )

Also debian gcc has --disable-vtable-verify, so debian maintainers care only to compile, let program blow to user face if its broken.

It not even with built with --enable-lto, so i think debian users cannot even build program with lto, unless they recompile gcc
(Im not 100% sure, but --enable-lto is missing in their gcc -v)

And it also is not build with --enable-libsanitizer so users can only dream about building with -fsanitize.

Also debian 'maintains' hundreds of projects which didnt see commit in last 10 years.

So who is dying?
Kajan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also we can little help - https://gentoo.org/get-involved/contribute/