Is the X11 overlay dead?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Is the X11 overlay dead? Reply with quote

Hi, I tried to find something on this subject in the forum, but wasn't able to.

Sometimes I really get the urge to test out the git versions (9999) of mesa/xorg-server/xorg-drivers, and the x11 overlay used to be the place to find working ebuilds of that. But when checking the overlay now, a lot of packages seems to have been removed with the commit message "Moved to main tree". There hasn't been any commits since end of October either. So does this mean that the ebuilds mentioned above are kept up-to-date in the main tree instead, especially regarding their development versions (i.e. git, i.e -9999)?

I know there are other overlays (FireBurn/pg_overlay), and that's great, so I'm kind-of wondering: which is the preferred way of getting the git builds?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main tree contains some 9999 versions too, have you checked if it will pick up git repos without an overlay?

media-libs/mesa-9999 without overlays appears to point to a git repo.

For the X drivers, some have 9999 and others don't. Any specifics? Not sure what the mainline amdgpu-9999 points to...
azp
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
The main tree contains some 9999 versions too, have you checked if it will pick up git repos without an overlay?

media-libs/mesa-9999 without overlays appears to point to a git repo.

For the X drivers, some have 9999 and others don't. Any specifics? Not sure what the mainline amdgpu-9999 points to...

Yes, you are correct, there are -9999-builds in the tree, and they point to git. And that is actually my question: Are these up to date, regarding build flags and dependencies? Since the git-version might include new stuff and add new build flags (for instance Vulkan), the use-flags needs to be in sync with these to make the git version usable.
I've noticed that some of the overlays seems to be quicker than the tree to update these build flags, especially when it comes to new LLVM versions and Vulkan, for instance.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may or may not be up to date at any given moment. Since they track the latest changes made by upstream, upstream could at any time push a change that invalidates any answer we give you. The best answer I can give is that it depends on how often upstream makes breaking changes and how much time the maintainer of the -9999 ebuild can devote to monitoring and handling any changes upstream makes. Beyond that, you could compare the update time of the ebuild against the activity in the upstream repository to see how many, if any, changes upstream has published since the last time the ebuild was updated. This is imprecise, since upstream may publish changes that do not need any change to the ebuild.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have been periodically moving 9999 ebuilds out of the x11 overlay and into the main tree.

The process for doing a version bump is usually copy-and-paste the 9999 ebuild, so having those ebuilds in the same repo makes this process simpler and keeps everything in sync. For instance if a new driver is added to Mesa, I can immediately add support for it to the 9999 ebuild, and then when a release is made with that new driver the version bump is trivial.

In my mind, once all the 9999 ebuilds are in the main repo there's not much purpose in the x11 overlay left.

Given sufficient time and motivation, I could see the x11 overlay containing old versions of the xserver or Mesa containing things like DRI1 drivers or working XAA. But I don't truthfully foresee myself having either of those in attributes in necessary quantities. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: