gentoo forum private message
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirrelsoup
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: gentoo forum private message Reply with quote

i just received an email from forum-mods gentoo that i received a private message on the gentoo forum, and the email provided me a link.
when i logged into the gentoo forum it said i have no new messages in my inbox.
is this a fishing email or is it legit forum-mod gentoo message?
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that it was a private message from a user who was flagged/banned as a spammer between the time the private message notification was sent and the time you logged in. The private messages sent by that user would have been deleted at the same time as he was banned.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security to Gentoo Forums Feedback, as I feel it's a better fit.

As for the issue itself, my guess is that augustin's guess is quite spot-on. :]

(That is as long as the mail actually had the legitimate links. If not, well then it obviously would not have been from us.)
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a report recently about a user who was spending spam PMs. That user has been banned. According to the administrator who implemented the ban, the offending user had messaged >150 users with an obviously spam PM (presumably the message went to someone who provided it to the administrator in full). While 150 users is a tiny portion of the total userbase, it's quite possible that the OP in this thread was one of the recipients, particularly since OP's user account is currently within the window of "150 most recently registered accounts".
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I had peeked in the database, given the mass sending of messages with identical (spammy) titles and the only message they had received having been from their own account; and yes, I can confirm from the uids that they had sent it to that squirrelsoup was one of the lucky recipients of their advertising. We cannot read any private messages, not sent to us, through the web UI, and only read them via the database when we are certain of the messages being nothing more than spam, so far we have been right every time.
fcl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that I was sent a spam message by that banned user and it later disappeared from my inbox automatically. I guess the spambot spammed newly registered users like me and OP.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: