Full blown DE - what am I missing?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Full blown DE - what am I missing? Reply with quote

I run bare OpenBox and have all the computer functionality I can think of. However, there are KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon, whatnot. Sometimes I think there must be something wrong with me, why I do not care for those wonderful (I assume) pieces of computer programming? Maybe I do not know what I am missing? So the question should be - what am I missing by not using those desktop environments? :roll: Me scratching head.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you are asking this as a Gentoo user. Our DE installations are just as 'full' blown as we like them to be, since we have the choice.

When you install plasma-meta all you get is a desktop workspace and not much more. I'm sure Gnome guys will know of similar minimal installations...
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are missing is the shackles that are applied in exchange for a few user comforts.

I have used openbox for soo long (windowmaker before that) and it does everything I need.
You add just what you want to autostart to make your life better.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I have wbar for most used applications and conky to report me what's going on, feh to draw the background and tint2 for taskbar. Rest comes from OpenBox menu. Maybe I should install full KDE to see what comfort comes with those shackles? I have plenty of RAM, my current setup runs in less than 90 MB ...
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90MB doesn't sound like much nowadays, but the first PC I ran KDE on (in 1998) only had 32MB of RAM and it worked fine! I honestly can't think of anything useful at all that a current desktop environment does which that one didn't... there's been a lot of bloat in that time.

I have long since ditched KDE (at KDE4), first switching back to Enlightenment which I'd used previously... and ditched that for WindowMaker which I'd also used on my workstation in the early 2000s. It suits me perfectly, consumes next to no resources, is configurable enough to do exactly what I want and is impeccably stable. A very happy customer!

The amount of real choice we have in these matters is a great feature of the open source world. Some people like the (theoretically) consistent nature of a full DE and it makes life a lot easier for them; some of the rest of us have our workflows long since engrained into us and just wouldn't use most of the extra features of a full DE supposing they were there.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have vague memories about KDE version 0.68 or was it 0.98 ... it was buggy as hell and slow on my 486DX. I think I had 8 MB of RAM.
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running a pretty bare bones i3 or dwm setup for a few years now, the last year or so I've ditched conky too. It keeps me happy but I occasionally like to load up a full DE to see if it tempts me back. The last full DE I really enjoyed was Arch/systemd/Gnome3 but even then I still preferred i3/dwm most of the time.

Possibly worth installing a DE or trying out a distro with one all set up. I never got on with KDE but the ones I did take to; gnome, mate, xfce, cinnamon....after a while I felt they were more intrusive than helpful, I was spending time trying to get them out of sight.
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Yea, I have wbar for most used applications and conky to report me what's going on, feh to draw the background and tint2 for taskbar. Rest comes from OpenBox menu. Maybe I should install full KDE to see what comfort comes with those shackles? I have plenty of RAM, my current setup runs in less than 90 MB ...

I do all that, except for tint2, I used to use lxpanel (from lxde DE) but I dropped it as I very seldom need the taskbar for anything.
So now I just do without one, and I don't use wbar.

I keep the graphic menu and keyboard shortcuts up to date for anything new I add and go from there.

I started out with gnome2, then realized that I didn't need it that much, and about the time gnome3 was starting up I switched to xfce
which is basically gnome-light, then went to lxde. Then I realized that I wasn't using that much of the meta package, and just swapped over
to using openbox with a few packages.
I don't care much for graphic file managers, but do keep pcmanfm around, in case I need it.
I like deadbeef for music.

In short I don't really need a full blown DE, it's not so much the bloat, I just don't use most of it.

But everyone is different.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover,

You are probably missing the extra bugs that come with extra code.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probably miss automounting

that automounting thing worked for a few months on gnome2.

i only miss that notifcation that i run from the battery or the battery is dead. I have not thought yet of a way to implement that in i3wm.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunar file manager can automount. I'm not using that feature, though. I have mount USB/umount USB in my Openbox menu.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use pcman-fm for USB automount because I am lazy. I also have Compton and conky for a bit of bling on the openbox desktop.
It really comes down to what do you want to sort out yourself to what do you expect to just work.

Those that like or need the bigger desktops want things to work and not bothered whether it is a concise or correct way, just work. It's one thing to jump through arbitrary hoops to get something to work compared to a reasonable set of config

Same with the type of people who buy apple laptops

Last edited by Naib on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover ...

You're missing the experience™ of a usability clone, something that works best if that experience is coupled with you poking yourself in the ear with a knitting needle and so auto-lobotomising to the boot chime :)

If you happen to be a "professional" then you're also missing the opportunity to cause your employer to drool at the kachiiing of getting the same thing at a 50% reduction in costs (it helps if you look smug and repeat the words "because ... free" every other sentence).

best ... khay
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't miss auto mounting. I used to use DVD+RW with a random filesystem, just like a big floppy.
Every mount uses a superblock write and the media was only rated about 1000 writes.
Its very easy for an auto mounter to life the volume.

True, I could have used read only auto mount but that didn't help my use case, which was write mostly.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: