KDE5: kwin not starting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp_Rulez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: KDE5: kwin not starting Reply with quote

Good evening,

I'm a long timer gentoo user, but didnt update my system for over a year. I finally decided that it was long overdue and to do a good use of my Christmas time to put it up to date.

I'll spare you all the issues I went through and tackled already (not mentioning openrc, qt5, new gcc, sddm, kde5); but apparently this last one I cant tackle alone.

When I sign in sddm, I got the KDE5 desktop (which is ugly like hell IMO), but apparently kwin_x11 does not kick in by itself. If I start a konsole I can start it, and finally get the window decoration/manager which allow me to "move them", minimize them, etc. But somehow, it should be starting on its own.

I went through xsession errors, dmesg, /var/log/messages, /var/log/xorg... and could not find anything wrong. I have obviously searched on this board as I do most of the time (and thanks for helpers here because i solve almost all my issues with the search function!), but i need assistance on that one!

On a side question: anyone know how to "resize" the "folder view" which I was using a lot it KDE4? Apparently I cant resize them in KDE5...

Let me know what you need from me and i'll share the relevant piece of code.

Kindest Regards,
Sharp_Rulez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still digging:

I was not sure if kwin_x11 was not starting at all, or if it was crashing just before i could even see window decoration.

I put a wrapper around it (renaming kwin_x11 into kwin_x11.bin, and creating a bash script that would log an entry into /tmp and call the .bin). From what I see, it is not being called at all.

Does anyone know which file should usually call kwin? I would like to trace one level up to see why it is not being called.
Sharp_Rulez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More progress..

Spotted an error:
/usr/bin/startkde: line 157: kapplymousetheme: command not found

This lead me to an obscure old bug (bug 13883 - https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13883) in the early development of plasma5.. but anyway their troubleshooting helped me to figure out that the problem seems to be related to ksmserver.

If i manually launch ksmserver, then kwin gets kick and things seems to work.

However i still dont quite know what to do about the kapplymousetheme, as i dont know from which package it is coming from (equery b wasnt helpful).

Also, launching ksmserver throws the following which i am investigating right now:
Code:

QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 1978, resource id: 0, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 1979, resource id: 0, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0
QXcbConnection: XCB error: 9 (BadDrawable), sequence: 1980, resource id: 0, major code: 14 (GetGeometry), minor code: 0

I'm rebuilding the xcb lib just in case, and will look at dbus for the kapplymouse
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you install plasma and how do you start it?
Sharp_Rulez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i simply did a massive emerge -DuN world, and got it all.

About starting it, I dont do anything in particular. I had to change kdm to sddm, and sddm is kicking it (it it set as default in the sddm drop down)
Sharp_Rulez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(still digging)

Okay from what i see, clearly KSMserver is not launched post logging in sddm.
If i manually launch ksmserver from konsole, then everything show up properly (and kwin_x11 is launched)

Going through various log, and spotting the following. I dont know how much they can be relevent or not.
Meanwhile, I also commented out the kapplymousetheme line from startkde so I dont see the error. I have no clue what it was supposed to be doing here. As per my research, this was part of a kde4 package and do not "exist" in any recent packages.. ?!

in .xsessionerror:
Code:

powerdevil: Core is ready, registering various services on the bus...
powerdevil: Can't contact systemd

... and I dont have systemd. ?!

in var log messages:
Code:

Dec 30 10:51:42 be sddm-helper[4008]: PAM unable to dlopen(/lib64/security/pam_systemd.so): /lib64/security/pam_systemd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Dec 30 10:51:42 be sddm-helper[4008]: PAM adding faulty module: /lib64/security/pam_systemd.so

... sort of deja vu?

finally looking at sddm.log:
Code:

[10:51:41.448] (II) DAEMON: Initializing...
[10:51:41.452] (II) DAEMON: Starting...
[10:51:41.452] (II) DAEMON: Adding new display on vt 7 ...
[10:51:41.454] (II) DAEMON: Display server starting...
[10:51:41.454] (II) DAEMON: Running: /usr/bin/X -nolisten tcp -auth /var/run/sddm/{e552e367-4e0d-4611-8456-89ff74c146ed} -background none -noreset -displayfd
 18 vt7
[10:51:42.428] (II) DAEMON: Running display setup script  "/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup"
[10:51:42.432] (II) DAEMON: Display server started.
[10:51:42.432] (II) DAEMON: Socket server starting...
[10:51:42.433] (II) DAEMON: Socket server started.
[10:51:42.433] (II) DAEMON: Greeter starting...
[10:51:42.433] (II) DAEMON: Adding cookie to "/var/run/sddm/{e552e367-4e0d-4611-8456-89ff74c146ed}"
[10:51:42.438] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Starting...
[10:51:42.438] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Authenticating...
[10:51:42.438] (II) HELPER: [PAM] returning.
[10:51:42.440] (II) DAEMON: Greeter session started successfully
[10:51:42.524] (II) DAEMON: Message received from greeter: Connect
[10:51:54.999] (II) DAEMON: Message received from greeter: Login
[10:51:54.999] (II) DAEMON: Reading from "/usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop"
[10:51:54.999] (II) DAEMON: Session "/usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop" selected, command: "/usr/bin/startkde"
[10:51:55.013] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Starting...
[10:51:55.013] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Authenticating...
[10:51:55.018] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Preparing to converse...
[10:51:55.018] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Conversation with 1 messages
[10:51:55.143] (II) HELPER: [PAM] returning.

therefore, from my reading, sddm is launching startkde succesfully (which is coming from kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.8.3-r4 and not a legacy kde4).

Unless anyone else has suggestions, I'll start chasing through startkde why ksmserver is not launched..
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have plasma-meta installed? Can you reproduce the issue with a new user?
Sharp_Rulez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partially found the problem

in /usr/bin/startkde script near by line 385, you get the following block:
Code:

# finally, give the session control to the session manager
# see kdebase/ksmserver for the description of the rest of the startup sequence
# if the KDEWM environment variable has been set, then it will be used as KDE's
# window manager instead of kwin.
# if KDEWM is not set, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
# kwrapper5 is used to reduce startup time and memory usage
# kwrapper5 does not return useful error codes such as the exit code of ksmserver.
# We only check for 255 which means that the ksmserver process could not be
# started, any problems thereafter, e.g. ksmserver failing to initialize,
# will remain undetected.
test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
# If the session should be locked from the start (locked autologin),
# lock now and do the rest of the KDE startup underneath the locker.
KSMSERVEROPTIONS=""
test -n "$dl" && KSMSERVEROPTIONS=" --lockscreen"
[b]kwrapper5 /usr/bin/ksmserver $KDEWM $KSMSERVEROPTIONS[/b]
if test $? -eq 255; then
 # Startup error
  echo 'startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.'  1>&2
  test -n "$ksplash_pid" && kill "$ksplash_pid" 2>/dev/null
  xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation."
fi

The block does a basic check if $KDEWM is set, and if so, it calls ksmserver with --windowmanager and the content of the variable.

I would expect this one to be empty, but apparently at runtime, it is set to kwin (and not kwin_x11), therefore ksmserver doest start properly.

I temporarly changed the file so now ksmserver is starting; but i would really appreciate if someone has an idea where this could have been set to kwin in order to correct it at the right place!
Sharp_Rulez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Do you have plasma-meta installed? Can you reproduce the issue with a new user?

@asturm: Hi, sorry apparently i missed your post because we both posted at about the same time.

yes, i do have plasma-meta indeed
Code:

[ebuild   R    ] kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.8.3:5::gentoo  USE="display-manager pam sddm wallpapers -bluetooth -grub -gtk -handbook -networkmanager -plymouth -pulseaudio -sdk" 0 KiB

However i havent tested with a new user, which is a good idea. I'll test this out and update you!
Sharp_Rulez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this back. Apparently my workaround worked too well so I forgot i had that issue until I emerge world again and my fix disappeared from /usr/bin/startkde

So, I created a new account to test and diagnose of my problem is system related, or profile related. Unfortunately, the new account shown the following error after KDE login:
"Plasma is unable to start as it could not correctly use OpenGL 2. Please check that your graphic drivers are set up correctly."

I did search about this "new issue" (likely unrelated with the current one though). Found plenty of people having problem with Plasma/sddm/nvidia proprietary driver. Funny enough, I do not have this problem with my normal account with plasma/sddm/nvidia (except this kwin issue). OpenGL is working fine. I park that one because I do not really care and I'm the only user of my workstation.

Back to this current problem and made some more research. My finding are the following:
- When "startkde" shell script is kicked, the variable KDEWM is UNSET
- If that variable is "empty/unset", the script attempt to run "kwin" as window manager
- kwin does not exist anymore, it has been replaced by "kwin_x11" and "kwin_wayland".
- Therefore I get into kde without window manager

My simple fix was to set KDEWM=kwin_x11 in /usr/bin/startkde; and it worked (until i emerged world).
New temporary fix: ln -s kwin_x11 kwin (working, but still not naildown the rootcause).

Questions
1) who (what application/script/session manager?) should set KDEWM?
2) should startkde attempt to run kwin_x11 instead of kwin as the latter does not exist anymore (bug?).

I also checked that I got the latest version of this file. The header actually show "DEFAULT KDE STARTUP SCRIPT ( 5.8.5 )"

Kind Regards,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: