Local mp3 playback broken, but browser sound works fine
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dodec
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:46 am    Post subject: Local mp3 playback broken, but browser sound works fine Reply with quote

I had to tinker a bit to get the sound on this Gentoo install to work (there's a thread full of the flailing that that entailed somewhere around here), but I've come to realize it works only in certain situations. I can get sound playback just fine in Vivaldi, but whenever I try to play a local mp3 file in moc or Clementine, it shows up as playing, but doesn't generate any sound. moc is compiled with ffmpeg enabled, so I don't think USE flags are the issue, though I'm not ruling that out. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?
guitou
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.

You most probably need to check configuration for your player(s), and select the right audio output.

++
Gi)
Dodec
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@guitou: I've already checked to make sure Clementine is set up with the ALSA audio sink as the output, and that moc is compiled with alsa enabled. However, now when I try to run moc after quitting Clementine, it's saying that there's no valid sound driver, which makes me think that how everything hooks into ALSA is the problem in some way. But it wasn't working before even when moc started up without that error, so I'm really not sure what's going on here--this situation would make sense if Clementine would at least work and its use of ALSA would prevent moc from accessing it, but Clementine's connection to ALSA seems to be defective as well.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you using pulseaudio?

when you do not use a software which can handle several sound sources / sinks, than one sound source will block the hardware. also happends when the software you used a few minutes ago crashed or just keeps on blocking the hardware.

thats teh reason why pulseaudio was created. still has its issues

--

you may start your multimedia player in a shell and see what it says.

you may try other software like vlc. vlc usually worked here for most of the tasks. others sometimes

check dmesg

check alsamixer

check kernel

check useflags for audio packages and multimedia software
Dodec
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pulseaudio installed, but the only way I can get sound to work at all (i.e. in my browser or Skype) is if I go into alsamixer and select the HD-Audio Generic chip rather than the default pulseaudio entry. I recompiled all the packages I can't get sound in after fiddling with the USE flags for alsa-plugins after seeing a reference to it in pulseaudio's docs, but still no dice. However, dmesg is saying this:
Code:
 [100119.735589] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:01.1: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.

which seems relevant, especially seeing as the only card I can get sound off of is card #1. I've done some googling of the IRQ timing workaround error in dmesg, but I haven't come up with anything new enough to be useful. Thoughts?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: