KDE4 to Plasma 5: where is KDEHOME set?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: KDE4 to Plasma 5: where is KDEHOME set? Reply with quote

I am still working on migrating an old KDE 4 installation to gentoo's KDE Plasma 5.

I need to migrate kmail settings.
Within gentoo / Plasma 5, If I run kmail-migrator, it does not see the kmail settings wiithin ~/.kde/.
However, if I rename ~/.kde/ to ~/.kde4/, then the kmail-migrator works.

I just searched, Plasma 5 does not use KDEHOME and KDEDIRS variables anymore.
http://linux.overshoot.tv/wiki/kde_environment_variables
Indeed, they are not set.
So how does kmail-migrator know to search for KDE4 kmail settings within ~/.kde4/ ?
How to tell it to look up within ~/.kde/?
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more grepping uncovered the following:
Code:

# grep -R kde4 /etc/
/etc/pam.d/kde:-auth      optional     pam_kwallet.so kdehome=.kde4
/etc/pam.d/sddm:-auth           optional        pam_kwallet.so kdehome=.kde4

I'm going to investigate how this is relevant...
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even more grepping uncovered the following build variables:
Code:

/usr/portage/kde-frameworks/kdelibs/kdelibs-4.14.24.ebuild:             -DKDE_DEFAULT_HOME=.kde4
/usr/share/apps/cmake/modules/KDELibsDependencies.cmake:set(KDE_DEFAULT_HOME ".kde4")

But I still don't find any runtime variable nor anything (either run time or build time) that would be relevant to kmail-migrator.
:-/
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin wrote:
even more grepping uncovered the following build variables:
Code:

/usr/portage/kde-frameworks/kdelibs/kdelibs-4.14.24.ebuild:             -DKDE_DEFAULT_HOME=.kde4
/usr/share/apps/cmake/modules/KDELibsDependencies.cmake:set(KDE_DEFAULT_HOME ".kde4")

But I still don't find any runtime variable nor anything (either run time or build time) that would be relevant to kmail-migrator.
:-/

I don't run kmail, so I can't directly help you.

In my migration from kde4 to plasma5, I found it very userful to create an empty test account to compare what kde {plasma5} now uses in terms of configuration files and environment settings to what exists in my existing accounts. i.e.:
  • Create new test user
    Code:
    useradd -c 'Plasma 5 Defaults' -m -G audio,cdrom,cdrw,games,kvm,locate,lpadmin,mysql,netdev,plugdev,pulse-access,pulse,sambashare,scanner,usb,users,video -r p5test
    passwd p5test

• Switch to a new tty session
    Code:
    ctl-lt-F2
    login: p5test
    password:
    Note: You need to be able to do CLI logins for this. I'm set up by default for CLI logins at all times. I always prefer to start my GUI logins manually since that gives me more flexibility in system problem resolution. YMMV and all that.

• Start a new plasma 5 GUI:
    Code:
    SESSION=startkde startx -- :1
    Which 'seat' {:1 or :2 ... :6} is up to you assuming your main account is using the default :0. I've found it useful in problem resolution to sometimes open a seat previously never used with that user when tracking down kde start up problems.

• Open and configure all the apps you normally use. Remember: this is a test account so you're not setting this up for regular use with your existing email and stuff like that. Rather, you want to change from the installed defaults of any and all apps you actually use. For me, these are apps like KDE system settings, konsole, konqueror, kvirc, ktorrent, krename, chrome, etc.
I set up two testing accounts {created as above using 'p5test1' and 'p5test2'}. In the first account, I started the KDE GUI for the first time, then exited. In the second account, I started the KDE GUI and then opened and configured all the applications I normally use and exited.

From my main user login, I also added myself to the two test account groups:
Code:
usermod -a -G p5test1,p5test2 $USER

This gives me the ability to now open file manager and terminal windows for side by side listings and 'diff' comparisons.

In each test account, I also executed
Code:
ENV | sort > ~/env.txt
before exiting that test account to have a list of all the nominal environment variables in play for that account. As executed, 'env.txt' will be stored at the home directory level for each account i.e. '/home/p5test1/env.txt' and '/home/p5test2/env.txt'.

After opening a terminal window in my main user, I found
Code:
ls -lta
at the home directory of each test account and my user account to be an excellent starting point.

Under '~/.config', I'd especially like to point out '~/.config/session'. Your KDE and many of your non-KDE application state settings are now stored here. You may find some environment variables coming back between logins here even though you may have explicitly unset them.

'~/.cache' is also interesting to explore, especially if you're having problems with 'konqueror'.

HTH
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you dufeu.

That's more or less the approach I've taken. I created a test user and copied the relevant dot directories to test the migration.
Since I'm migrating users from another system, I must mv .kde/ .kde4/ for the old settings to be taken into account.

Your notes about environment variables are particularly interesting to me me. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: