[SOLVED] app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38 emerge fails
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Markus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38 emerge fails Reply with quote

Hello!

I tried to emerge virtualbox, but it fails with
Quote:
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38/work/VirtualBox-4.3.38/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VBoxDD/vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex] Error 255

I also exported the log of this failing part: http://pastebin.com/RS2Pm3Ch

The USE flags used were already stripped down a little, because the above error also occurs with the default USE flags.
The flags used with the above compile:
Quote:
[ebuild N ] app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38 USE="alsa pam qt4 -additions -doc -extensions -headless -java (-libressl) -opengl -pulseaudio -python -sdk -udev -vboxwebsrv -vnc" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

Do you have an idea what could be the error?

BR,
Markus

Last edited by Markus09 on Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try again with MAKEOPTS=-j1 and pastebin the whole log.
Markus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAKEOPTS=-j1 is/was already active.

make.conf: http://pastebin.com/zD1SHXfS
build.log: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/9ZoBVbatZLS1Fz6OUVkL/
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to just be a "me too", but I get the exact same error; interesting part is at line 97 in the pastebin link:

/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38/work/VirtualBox-4.3.38/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VBoxDD/vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex.pre 35: Device (SCKL) { Name (_HID, "ACPI0004") Name (_UID, "SCKCPUL") Processor (CPUL, 0x15, 0x0, 0x0 ) { Name (_HID, "ACPI0007") Name (_UID, "SCKL-CPU0") Name (_PXM, 0x00) Method(_MAT, 0) { Name (APIC, Buffer (8) {0x00, 0x08, 0x15, 0x15}) IF (CPCK(0x15))
[*** iASL: Very long input line, message below refers to column 451 ***]
Error 6058 - Invalid type ([Processor] found, Store operator requires [Integer|String|Buffer|Package|DebugObject|Reference])

Just for chuckles, I tried basically disabling most USE flags and still got the same.

I'm quite new to Gentoo, shifted after 16 years of Debian, so please excuse me if I'm doing something wrong; the output from emerge requests certain information and here are the pastebins:

http://pastebin.com/bJz5Rw7a
http://pastebin.com/EHenPXzh
http://pastebin.com/DATwKXV8
http://pastebin.com/7k4rQ3mp

Anything else I can provide to debug?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Net search returned same error with same version of VirtualBox ... when building on FreeBSD. I think you should file a bug.
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to do so -- bearing in mind again that I'm a gentoo n00b, so this may sound like a stupid question: should I be filing a bug upstream, at virtualbox? Or a gentoo bug against the package? I wanted to see if perhaps installing a testing package would have this problem already resolved, so according to https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-emulation/virtualbox, there's a 4.3.40 version of virtualbox, however, doing:

Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" emerge -a =app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.40

results in emerge seeming to want me to shift a lot of packages to ~amd64 for minor version updates (perl, icu, boost) and I'm not entirely confident to do so. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.[/code]
Markus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerged =app-emulation/virtualbox-5.1.12 with ~amd64, which caused a few rebuilds and only two additional keyword changes for the virtualbox-modules and kbuild.
This builds just fine with USE flags:
Code:
app-emulation/virtualbox-5.1.12::gentoo  USE="alsa pam qt5 -debug -doc -headless -java -libressl -lvm -opengl -pulseaudio -python -sdk -udev -vboxwebsrv -vnc" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"

@dacydm:
If you run the code line you posted you allow more packages than you want with ~amd64. You should put the keyword in the file
/etc/portage/package.keywords/package.keywords
with (or with version numbers, if you only want to accept for a specific version)
Code:
app-emulation/virtualbox ~amd64
app-emulation/virtualbox-modules ~amd64

Then only, these two packages are using ~amd64. When you emerge I think you will then get the request for ~amd64 for kbuild too (as mentioned above), where emerge can write
Code:
# required by app-emulation/virtualbox-5.1.12::gentoo
# required by virtualbox (argument)
=dev-util/kbuild-0.1.9998_pre20131130-r1 ~amd64

into the same keywords file if you tell it so. Then the emerge is running fine (for 5.1.12).

@Bugreport:
I think at virtualbox is the right place, but I'm also not sure. (with a link to this topic, so data is no replicated that much?)
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Markus09 thanks for the package.keywords tip; as a n00b, I don't understand why ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~amd64" didn't work cleanly for the 4.3.30 package (and I apparently didn't try it without a version specifier, as it does work that way:/). I would have popped it in package.keywords if the environment variable had worked, but o well... I think I did try the same without a version specifier and also had havoc -- I must have been doing something Just Plain Wrong somewhere :/

However, I'd rather have the latest-latest vbox anyways, so this works out just fine for me.

Since there are available binaries for virtualbox 4.3.38 (virtualbox-bin installs fine), that would suggest that virtualbox can build at this version with the correct configuration -- so is that still not an ebuild error? Again, please bear with my n00bness.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in the environment, that acceptance works for everything Portage considers during that run of emerge, not just for the package(s) that you named on the command line. This was equivalent to setting it in /etc/portage/make.conf, other than that the latter would apply for every run until you edited the file again, whereas environment overrides apply only until you unset the variable.

When you specify keywords in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords, the keyword applies only to the package named (and respects version restrictions, if you use those). Your attempt at the command line approved both a ~amd64 virtualbox (which you wanted) and updating any supporting packages to ~amd64 if Portage decided to consider updating those packages. When you use the file, Portage may still consider updating supporting packages, but it can only update them within the constraints of the keywords you approved for those supporting packages. Assuming no environment variable and no other relevant entries in package.accept_keywords, any supporting packages can only be updated to stable versions, not testing versions.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem. app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38 fails compile on new install and fails recompile on 3 existing installations which where made a long time ago and updated on 12 Dec. 2016 to virtualbox-4.3.38.

Build log shows:
Code:

ASL Input:     /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38/work/VirtualBox-4.3.38/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VBoxDD/vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex.pre - 88 lines, 17639 bytes, 870 keywords

Hex Dump:      /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38/work/VirtualBox-4.3.38/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VBoxDD/vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex - 62531 bytes

Compilation complete. 1 Errors, 0 Warnings, 32 Remarks, 72 Optimizations
kmk: *** [/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38/work/VirtualBox-4.3.38/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VBoxDD/vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex] Error 255

kmk: *** Deleting file `/var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38/work/VirtualBox-4.3.38/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VBoxDD/vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex'

kmk: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

Some upgrade after 12 December 2016 causes the problem.

It's silly that the file 'vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex' is deleted and not available for examination.
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
When you set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS in the environment, that acceptance works for everything Portage considers during that run of emerge, not just for the package(s) that you named on the command line. This was equivalent to setting it in /etc/portage/make.conf, other than that the latter would apply for every run until you edited the file again, whereas environment overrides apply only until you unset the variable.

When you specify keywords in /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords, the keyword applies only to the package named (and respects version restrictions, if you use those). Your attempt at the command line approved both a ~amd64 virtualbox (which you wanted) and updating any supporting packages to ~amd64 if Portage decided to consider updating those packages. When you use the file, Portage may still consider updating supporting packages, but it can only update them within the constraints of the keywords you approved for those supporting packages. Assuming no environment variable and no other relevant entries in package.accept_keywords, any supporting packages can only be updated to stable versions, not testing versions.

Thank you a million times @Hu. Schooled! Though I would have expected that variable to apply to virtualbox and downward only, for the current operation (ie,
Code:
emerge virtualbox
)? Perhaps that's a silly debian-style assumption to make (EDIT: it is, in retrospect, considering all inputs)? Remember, I am totally a gentoo n00b -- 16 years on Debain (/derivatives) and < 1 month on Gentoo. I'm (honestly) willing to learn though -- and genuinely appreciating Gentoo (as I should have, long before now). Just trying to work out this "universe" and how it works (:

For the issue of virtualbox-4.3.38 not building from source, would it be your opinion that the problem is with the ebuild, or with the upstream virtualbox sources? I'm still leaning towards ebuild (just because I'm an arb dev without intimate knowledge of the whole picture), but I'm sure this discussion reveals that I'm not exactly a master at this, so I'd really appreciate input.
artbody
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the ~amd64 option you pull in development-versions this is like > unstable on debian
for some packages this my work but if you set it in the make.conf global results in unstable Gentoo

thats why you should do this in /etc/portage/portage.keywords
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davydm wrote:
Thank you a million times @Hu. Schooled! Though I would have expected that variable to apply to virtualbox and downward only, for the current operation (ie,
Code:
emerge virtualbox
)? Perhaps that's a silly debian-style assumption to make (EDIT: it is, in retrospect, considering all inputs)? Remember, I am totally a gentoo n00b -- 16 years on Debain (/derivatives) and < 1 month on Gentoo. I'm (honestly) willing to learn though -- and genuinely appreciating Gentoo (as I should have, long before now). Just trying to work out this "universe" and how it works (:

The environment variable overrides the same named variable from /etc/portage/make.conf (and many other make.conf variables have the same semantics). Since make.conf cannot do per-package overrides, neither can the environment variable.

Beyond that, I can only say that whoever specified it to work this way had different plans than you did, and nobody has convinced them to change it yet. :)

As a practical note, it is relatively common for ~testing packages to have ~testing dependencies, so implementing it as you had expected would have a decent chance of failing out because, under your model, a ~testing package could be selected from the command line, but a ~testing dependency would still be disallowed.
davydm wrote:
For the issue of virtualbox-4.3.38 not building from source, would it be your opinion that the problem is with the ebuild, or with the upstream virtualbox sources? I'm still leaning towards ebuild (just because I'm an arb dev without intimate knowledge of the whole picture), but I'm sure this discussion reveals that I'm not exactly a master at this, so I'd really appreciate input.
I do not know Virtualbox well enough to answer this. If the ebuild were a thin wrapper around running the upstream build system, I would say it is an upstream problem. However, Virtualbox's ebuild does a substantial amount of patching, so it is possible that this is a problem introduced by the ebuild. You would need someone who can debug this failure to make a conclusive determination.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved:

Build.log says when building app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38 STABLE:

Code:

ASL Input:     /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38/work/VirtualBox-4.3.38/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VBoxDD/vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex.pre - 88 lines, 17639 bytes, 870 keywords
Hex Dump:      /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38/work/VirtualBox-4.3.38/out/linux.amd64/release/obj/VBoxDD/vboxssdt-cpuhotplug.hex - 62531 bytes

It appears that 'sys-power/iasl-20160729' and higher is incompatible with 'app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38' STABLE. Probably caused by a buffer overrun.

Solution:
Downgrade 'sys-power/iasl-20160729' to 'sys-power/iasl-20140828' and mask '>sys-power/iasl-20140828'.

This lets you build and install 'app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38' STABLE.

See: Gentoo's Bugzilla – Bug 605424
DX94
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:

It appears that 'sys-power/iasl-20160729' and higher is incompatible with 'app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38' STABLE. Probably caused by a buffer overrun.

Solution:
Downgrade 'sys-power/iasl-20160729' to 'sys-power/iasl-20140828' and mask '>sys-power/iasl-20140828'.

This lets you build and install 'app-emulation/virtualbox-4.3.38' STABLE.

See: Gentoo's Bugzilla – Bug 605424

Confirming this works, downgraded IASL, virtualbox successfully compiled.
Markus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your helpful responses!
Thread marked as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: