Qingy Text Sessions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
returnof Snekiepete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Qingy Text Sessions Reply with quote

I have searched and searched for guidance on how to write a text session file for Qingy to use. The problem I am trying to solve is for some reason, and I think Plymouth is the culprit, when my system boots up and I select the console option in Qingy tty1 has a very small font compared to tty2+ which seem to follow my consolefont directive - using ter-132n font. (I have a 4k laptop display).

So I am either trying to figure out how to fix that or create a text session file that can do that.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you already narrowed it down.
a high resolution "fake 4k resolution screen" in a laptop.

You may start from your kernel till you end at the end programm "quingy?".

Afaik the screen is several times reinitialized with different parameters. IT comes to my mind "fake bios uefi / bios", kernel resolution passed with vga= statement or other means, keywords: framebuffer, ..., than i remember the kernel "menuconfig" also has settings for the "console" itself, than it depends on your init script. Init script means anything which is needed for your box, process 1.

You may consider initalizing your screen to 1920x1080 before you start those "user programs" for the cli without the x-server. you may pay attention which resolution is closer to exactly half of the pixels of your native screen resolution your screen provides. It may be enough to just add one command to change cli resolution before you start http://qingy.sourceforge.net/

--

It is a known issue, was a known issue, that with higher resolution screen introduced the software could not handle it. Was the case with windows, macos and other operating systems and software pieces for a while. This issue happens / happened again with those "fake 4k screens again".

--

Quote:
I think Plymouth is the culprit

I think the real culprit is to have some fancy stuff installed and not having a real glue what is done in the background.
How the box boots, how it is inialized. If you knew how your box handles that process, you would have instanlty corrected that particular setting to reflect that.

I gave you above many keywords to start your hunt to solve this.

--

Homepage indicates:

Quote:
Provided it has ben converted to the structure of qingy 0.6.0 and higher, which adds the ability to specify the native resolution of the theme, instead of defaulting to 800x600...

Which means you may be smart to set your cli to 800x600 and have no fuss with other issues for quingy.
returnof Snekiepete
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about what all you said, and you can take all the other programs out of it. When I boot to console without Plymouth running I get my desired result, having my font set correctly on all tty's. When Plymouth runs for some reason the console don't does not get updated on tty1 only, all others are fine.

For anyone else with this issue - I fixed this by entering the setfont command in .bashrc

I would like some me guidance on the text sessions qingy offers, I'm not sure how to set these up and I'd like to experiment.

Thank you!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: