Claws email: IMAP but downloading all email to local disk
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Claws email: IMAP but downloading all email to local disk Reply with quote

I'm using Claws with POP3 for years now without any issue and I'm very happy with it. But I do have an issue with my email provider.

The issue is that the email provider "filters spam" and put those emails in a "junk email" folder. As to be expected, this filtering is faulty so legitimate email ends up in that "junk email" folder. And POP3 only synchronises the Inbox, not the "junk email" folder. The provider is not willing to fix the issue, I'm supposed to use the webmail because that is the only they support.

So I had been looking into the filtering and pre/post processing features of Claws but I'm not sure if what I want is possible.

Suppose the following:
- I configure my mailbox as IMAP, this way I have access to the inbox and the "junk email" folder
- I use the pre processing to copy everything to a single local folder on the pc
- I delete all messages on the server
- with filtering working on that local folder I do the sorting of my email just like I do now

Problem is I'd like to try this out before I let it loose on my mailbox. So can anyone with more experience on this give me some pointers on how to exactly configure this? Is this possible to start with?
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody an idea?
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since nobody seems to have anything better, I do that with a client-side rule.
Unfortunately imap is very, very server-centric, and I haven't seen "disconnected imap" accounts in evince for ages, so I just created a new "local" account and created a rule in evince to copy all emails from particular directories to my local inbox, effectively protecting them from accidental deletion.
The downside is that triggering that thing manually copies all messages again, but at least I can "remove duplicates" afterwards, and rules (ekhm... *filters*) are only applied to new messages by default, so the inconvenience of pulling *everything* from my inbox doesn't happen very often.

And - with imap - you can subscribe to whatever directory you want, including spam. And you can move those messages instead of copying them too.
Spanik
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that is what I'm trying out now and I ran into the same issue: all messages copied twice.

I first have them copied to a "mail" folder. The problem is when letting the filters loose on that folder. I should find a way to limit a filter to a single folder.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: