Gentoo on Pine64 - ARM64 Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ivan The Viking
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Gentoo on Pine64 - ARM64 Gentoo Reply with quote

Hey All,

I've had a Pine64+ 2GB since about July last year.
I ran Ubuntu on it since day 1 without issue, but, being a Gentoo guy years ago, couldn't stay away from this distro.
Someone was kind enough to bootstrap Gentoo using the Ubuntu image, something I had stumbled upon on the Pine64 forums.
I used this image to fire up my Pine64 on gentoo in October, and now use it as a whole house server.

It's running Samba, ZFS, UniversalMediaServer, rtorrent, and lighttpd without issue. It's a nice low power powerhouse.
I've attached a whole slew of 4TB USB hard drives to it in a Raid 6 ZFS, and use a 16GB SD card to boot.

So it would not get lost in the ages, I made a .torrent of the bootable image someone had made for it.
The U-Boot is not mainline, neither is the kernel, both are custom for the Pine64 with DRM support for X.
I never have run X on this beast, nor have I used the sound output, but I'm sure they work with this kernel.

Grab it here if you'd like, from that Pine64 which is also seeding that torrent.
http://ivntheviking.bounceme.net/gentoo-pine64-20160804.img.gz.torrent

sshd and dhcpcd run by default.
The default login is gentoo:gentoo
Root pwd is also gentoo

uname -a gives this:
Code:

Pine64 gentoo # uname -a
Linux Pine64 3.10.102-2-pine64drm-longsleep #76 SMP PREEMPT Sun Jul 31 20:50:25 CEST 2016 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I'm also working on making a new image using the now officially support mainline u-boot and the generic/gentoo kernel without binary blobs for server use like I am doing.
If there's interest, I'll post that too when it's done.

arm64 is mostly in ~arm64 at this point, but everything I've tried so far works.

Also - if this image is your work, please say hi, I'd like to thank you!

-Shawn
irenicus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting. I've been looking at that board for a while now, has very interesting specs. How is the gpu btw...can it play 1080p video? :P

If so I will consider buying it.

Also I'm curious about zfs, I've heard a lot of great things about the file system especially on BSD's. I've realized that it has been ported to Linux, not sure how stable it is or if it has the same level of features as the original zfs. If you could share your experience about zfs on Linux that would be great, and also the reason which led you to choose zfs over Linux filesystems like ext4, btrfs, etc.

I know that is a lot of question to ask, sorry about that but I'm just curious about this.

Thanks for your time :)
Ivan The Viking
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do confirm the board plays 1080p video - I have a second one hooked up to my TV running an android build and Kodi to play all my media.
I didn't ever try to use Gentoo that way, too much work for little benefit. The android builds available for it are pretty good. This replaced the ouya I used to use for that.

Why ZFS? It's the mother of all file systems - raid with hot swapping, the ability to grow the pool at any time, bulletproof Solaris software really.
I never was a big fan of the Linux software RAID with ext4 on it. My / partition is still ext4 fwiw since ZFS on boot is a PITA.

Read up on it http://zfsonlinux.org/ - it's pretty full featured. Again, I did a raid 6 with 10 drives, 36 TB of usable space using 5400 rpm drives.
Total power draw for those with the pine64 at full tilt is about 45 watts according to my UPS.
irenicus09
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm zfs has some interesting features, definitely makes sense with so many hard drives you have :)

I hope to try zfs at some point but I sort of get intimidated by the different commands. Not sure how big is the learning curve :P
Ivan The Viking
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the original thread on the Pine64 forums where this is from if people are looking for the original source.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=1937&highlight=gentoo

-Shawn
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: