startx blank screen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
godof4dchess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: startx blank screen Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm new to linux and I followed the gentoo hand book and had a successful install. I tried to install xorg, which just gives me a blank black screen when I give the command startx, then I am forced to reboot. And if you have a solution can you give me your reasoning? if i should solve this myself, how would i go about it? i can give logs, this install is on a laptop.

Last edited by godof4dchess on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: startx blank screen Reply with quote

godof4dchess wrote:
Hello all, I'm new to linux and I followed the gentoo hand book and had a successful install. I tried to install xorg, which just gives me a blank black screen when I give the command startx, then I am forced to reboot. And if you have a solution can you give me your reasoning? Very much appreciated.

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log on your system for clues. Some information on hardware and contents of .xinitrc etc may also help narrow things down a bit ;)
godof4dchess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: startx blank screen Reply with quote

jonathan183 wrote:
godof4dchess wrote:
Hello all, I'm new to linux and I followed the gentoo hand book and had a successful install. I tried to install xorg, which just gives me a blank black screen when I give the command startx, then I am forced to reboot. And if you have a solution can you give me your reasoning? Very much appreciated.

Check /var/log/Xorg.0.log on your system for clues. Some information on hardware and contents of .xinitrc etc may also help narrow things down a bit ;)

no errors were reported, last thing that happened was synaptics being loaded. how would i paste my log here??
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What WM/DE are you trying to start? Note, there is none if you didn't install one.
godof4dchess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
What WM/DE are you trying to start? Note, there is none if you didn't install one.

i was following the xorg guide cause the other tutorial said it was necessary for xfce
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: startx blank screen Reply with quote

godof4dchess wrote:
how would i paste my log here??
Use wgetpaste (emerge -a wgetpaste) then run "wgetpaste /var/log/Xorg.O.log" for example and copy and paste the URL here. That's the best way to post big files.
godof4dchess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorgconfig:https://paste.pound-python.org/show/J0fJgUwx49nug0Glm9DM/
Lspci: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/BtmKIg4GulFA3ZuDAroo
Xorg car log:https://pasted.pound-python.org/show/XvSCthpwV7QKrJeXzurW/

Last edited by godof4dchess on Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xorg starts normally and then seems to be killed instead of shutdown. It looks like Xorg is working but Xfce is not loaded.
godof4dchess
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Xorg starts normally and then seems to be killed instead of shutdown. It looks like Xorg is working but Xfce is not loaded.

I figured out you can get out of the blank screen with ctrl alt f1, when I do this I get an message saying /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc line 59 xclock is missing. Would you say everything seems in order for the installation of xfce?
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can emerge xclock if you want. IIRC you will see the clock at startx. I would just go ahead and install your DE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: