Is there a way to make this easier?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RayDude
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Is there a way to make this easier? Reply with quote

It used to be that I would update once a month and a couple times a year I'd have a problem, search the forums, mess around a bit, solve the problem with an unmask, keyword or use flag change and be done.

Now, every time I try to emerge world I hit hundreds of conflicts between packages that are installed and packages that want to install. Often it makes no sense. "QT is conflicting with QT." Why? Why can't emerge just install the latest updates anymore?

As I get older and busier, this is getting harder and harder to manage.

I wonder if there's a way to make this easier.

If I switch to gnome, will it get easier? Are most of my problems related to Plasma? It sure seems that way.

Is there a way to make my updates go smoother?

Anyone have any tips or ideas?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean up your package.* files, I'd say. Also get rid of cruft running emerge --depclean after updates.

Last edited by asturm on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Juippisi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find time to update once a week. It gets a lot easier :)
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I see is that librairy and dependancy packages have their own independant development cycles like the packages who depend on them. Cycle development is not necessary synchronise between packages. Of course it can be hard to do.

A librairy or a dependancy update can be available before some installed packages who depend on it are ready to use this version because they are not include in the update. The consequence is that some packages are set to use the new librairy or dependancy version when some other are not. Two versions of a librairy or a dependancy need to be installed at the same time what generate a version conflict.

Try to use a different branch of a package, slot the conflicting versions, mask one of the conflicting versions, change USE flags and so on may resolv the conflict but, I think a lot of those recurrent and similar conflicts take their sources in independant cycles packages development. When you understand the cause and the solutions of those types of conflicts it is not to hard to resolv them and so live with them.

I think that a system administrator need to stay tune with the development and the changelogs of the packages he use to manage them easily.
RayDude
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm just a guy who runs Gentoo, I really don't consider myself an official system admin.

I think my main issue is that plasma, qt, and a few other packages (xorg) are running unstable versions because that's the only way to make them behave. Because of that the dependency issues get in the way as the unstable development marches forward at a staggered pace.

Updating once a week? Wow. Never thought of that. I really don't have time for it.

Right now I'm unmerging most of qt becuase 5.6.2 of most qt packages is blocking 5.7.1 of the very same packages. That doesn't make sense. Why can't emerge do a simple upgrade?
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Updating once a week? Wow. Never thought of that. I really don't have time for it.

You do not have to watch it. It takes less than a minute to initiate the upgrade.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update probably almost once a business day. I usually don't have any updates but it really costs me nothing to fire off an alias once a day. Fire, wait for it to ask if I want to update (usually nothing to update) and then get on with my work.

About once a week or so I do a --depclean and make sure everything's ok.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RayDude wrote:
Right now I'm unmerging most of qt becuase 5.6.2 of most qt packages is blocking 5.7.1 of the very same packages.

That's completely unnecessary. You could have shown us the output and I'm sure it would have either been an orphan package (lack of running emerge --depclean) or simply not big enough depgraph (--backtrack=30 solves it).

What was your precise emerge command?
RayDude
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -DNuvp @world

I unmerged all of QT, mythtv and monkeyed with some masks and am emerging world now.

I'll try emerge --depclean again, once it's updated.

The last time I tried a depclean I meant to put --pretend, forgot and walked away from the machine. It was an unmitigated disaster.

The problem with depclean is it attempts to remove so many packages that I have to go through each one and get the appropriate ones added to world. It's very time consuming. Of course this install has existed for more than ten years so there's a lot of cruft...

Hopefully I'll build a new system next year and start from scratch and get it cleaner.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With cruft there come blockers galore. E.g. all Qt packages need to be version aligned - some Qt package becomes obsolete and is not part of the next version bump - if you failed to clean it, there you have one typical Qt blocker.

emerge --depclean does not remove stuff you have in world, but yes, you don't run it without --pretend or --ask.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: