installation and DHCP issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtangy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: installation and DHCP issues Reply with quote

I am trying to install Gentoo from the minimal install disc on my old 32-bit Lenovo T60 laptop. After getting past the initial install screen to the minimal install CD shell I got a DHCP error and was unable to connect to the internet (through ethernet). After that error I decided to reserve an IP address on my router thinking that might work around my DHCP error and when I turned the laptop back on I got a black screen on boot up that says:

ERROR
0271: Check date and time settings

Press <F1> to Setup
Does anyone know how I can reset the system so I can start the installation over? If I figure out how to reformat the HD will that fix my issue?

My router is running tomato, is it somehow possible that the default DHCP server on tomato is unable to assign the minimal CD an IP address? Would I be better off using a different router with conventional firmware? Does anyone think that setting the IP static on the client might also fix the DHCP problem?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are using https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:x86/Full/Installation#Default:_Using_net-setup when you encounter the dhcp error?
If so, it is trivial to switch to fixed ip in net-setup; so you should give it a try.
Quote:
ERROR 0271: Check date and time settings
did you check the BIOS and install system date and time?
BIOS -use your prior experience or owner's manual, Install system -use https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:x86/Installation/Stage#Setting_the_date_and_time
mtangy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
You are using https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:x86/Full/Installation#Default:_Using_net-setup when you encounter the dhcp error?
If so, it is trivial to switch to fixed ip in net-setup; so you should give it a try.
Quote:
ERROR 0271: Check date and time settings
did you check the BIOS and install system date and time?
BIOS -use your prior experience or owner's manual, Install system -use https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:x86/Installation/Stage#Setting_the_date_and_time

I get the DHCP error right before the liveCD shell starts up after running the 'gentoo' boot command when the system boots from disc. I tried manually configuring my network interfaces with static IP's using net-setup and ifconfig with no success (I'm almost certain all my configuration setting are correct for my local network). I also tried manually writing the network config files as described here
(https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:X86/Full/Networking) with no luck at all.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Changing the date and time bios setting fixed the first issue thanks!
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend using sysresccd instead of minimal install cd as sysresccd has far better networking support. https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage
I can't resist the opportunity to be pedantic:
Quote:
You get the DHCP error right before the liveCD shell starts up after running the boot command when the system boots from the gentoo minimal install cd.
I get the same result with and without an ethernet cable connecting computer to router. I conclude that the minimal install cd has a built in bug that tries to start dhcp service more than once.
However, one startup of dhcp service is enough.
About net-setup: first run
Code:
ifconfig -a
to find out what name is assigned to the ethernet interface; typically en something or other (eth0 is not honored by the cd system). If no ethernet interface is in the output, it is likely that driver support for your ethernet NIC is not present in the cd provided kernel. Run
Code:
lspci -k
Look for an entry something like:
Quote:
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V (rev 31)
Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e
If the NIC is listed and has a driver assigned, run
Code:
net-setup  <interface name>
and follow the dialogs.
If your NIC is listed but does not show a driver; what is the make and model of the NIC? What driver does it use? If that driver was built as a module you may be able to run
Code:
modprobe <module name>
ifconfig <interface name>
net-setup

Last edited by DONAHUE on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtangy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
I'd recommend using sysresccd instead of minimal install cd as sysresccd has far better networking support.
I can't resist the opportunity to be pedantic:
Quote:
You get the DHCP error right before the liveCD shell starts up after running the boot command when the system boots from the gentoo minimal install cd.
I get the same result with and without an ethernet cable connecting computer to router. I conclude that the minimal install cd has a built in bug that tries to start dhcp service more than once.
However, one startup of dhcp service is enough.
About net-setup: first run
Code:
ifconfig -a
to find out what name is assigned to the ethernet interface; typically en something or other (eth0 is not honored by the cd system). If no ethernet interface is in the output, it is likely that driver support for your ethernet NIC is not present in the cd provided kernel. Run
Code:
lspci -k
Look for an entry something like:
Quote:
Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V (rev 31)
Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
Kernel driver in use: e1000e
Kernel modules: e1000e
If the NIC is listed and has a driver assigned, run
Code:
net-setup  <interface name>
and follow the dialogs.
If your NIC is listed but does not show a driver; what is the make and model of the NIC? What driver does it use? If that driver was built as a module you may be able to run
Code:
modprobe <module name>
ifconfig <interface name>
net-setup

Would I be replacing the minimal install CD with sysresccd? or just using it in conjunction with the minimal install CD?

I know my system is recognizing both of the laptops networking interfaces (wifi and ethernet) they just fail to work after I configure them with net-setup or manually with ifconfig and the 'net' configuration file.

I'm fairly certain I already checked that the drivers for both NIC's are installed but I'll be sure to double check as soon as I can.

thanks
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sysresccd instead of minimal install cd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: