Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo for Amlogic S9xx (TV box S905\S905X\S912)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
balbes150
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Gentoo for Amlogic S9xx (TV box S905\S905X\S912) Reply with quote

For those who want to use a TV set-top box platform Amlogic S905 S905X (aarch64 ARMv8), there is a working system image. This way, you can run from external media (the regular system in the internal memory remains unchanged and can be used without restrictions). To use, unpack the archive, burn it to a carrier to activate the multi-boot (using toothpicks or via the regular application Update&Backup). The user "user" password "1". The root password is "1234". Image assembled based on the instructions.

http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=21675

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/tronsmart-ac/firmware-roms-tools-at/565449-running-linux-from-sd-card-or-usb-flash-drive-using-balbes150-method-and-files?p=611203#post611203

Details activate the multi-boot can be found in this thread.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905/tronsmart-ac/firmware-roms-tools-at/565449-running-linux-from-sd-card-or-usb-flash-drive-using-balbes150-method-and-files

add 2017.01.31

New and more correct version of the Gentoo image. This version was originally collected with the support of the features of Gentoo.
The author of the Assembly mDup

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8024022.html#8024022

Last edited by balbes150 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:21 am; edited 3 times in total
mDup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo for Amlogic S9xx (TV box S905\S905X\S912) Reply with quote

balbes150 wrote:
For those who want to use a TV set-top box platform Amlogic S905 S905X (aarch64 ARMv8), there is a working system image.
[...]

Well done! 8)
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there an uboot update for the M8S Pro box? Can I use one of the existing ones?
balbes150
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Pope wrote:
Is there an uboot update for the M8S Pro box? Can I use one of the existing ones?

What is the chip in the TV box ?
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently it's an Amlogic S812, which I understand is Cortex A9, therefore ARM v7, thus 32-bit. This topic is about the S9xx, which I understand are Cortex A53, which is 64-bit. I don't want to confiscate the topic, but I would be nice to understand how in the world to create a U-boot for any of these boxes once you know what chip is inside.

EDIT: Amazon link.
balbes150
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Pope wrote:
Apparently it's an Amlogic S812, which I understand is Cortex A9, therefore ARM v7, thus 32-bit. This topic is about the S9xx, which I understand are Cortex A53, which is 64-bit. I don't want to confiscate the topic, but I would be nice to understand how in the world to create a U-boot for any of these boxes once you know what chip is inside.

EDIT: Amazon link.

For s812 images will be released later. Multiboot for s812 is already working. There are images Libreelec run from external media. Need time to port the kernel and ROOTFS on Gentoo.
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balbes150 wrote:
For s812 images will be released later. Multiboot for s812 is already working. There are images Libreelec run from external media. Need time to port the kernel and ROOTFS on Gentoo.

Uh, your Github has an S812 kernel already. Well, I'm assuming those are just the sources. I only need to be able to boot off the SD card, because the rest of the installation is pretty easy - I can follow the principles from the TrimSlice tutorial which is also ARMv7-A.

I would do this:

- Install the cross-compiling tools and set target architecture to ARM v7
- Compile the kernel (using your sources off Github)
- Install stage3
- Install Portage snapshot
- Setup /etc/fstab
- Setup root password, networking, hostname, etc.

Then I think it's ready to boot a minimal Gentoo on the target machine and continue from there. But the first step is to be able to dual-boot on that M8S Pro box.
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

balbes150 wrote:
Multiboot for s812 is already working.

This is what I need. I wrote a separate reply to make it clear. How do I do it, would you write it down in steps?

EDIT: Wait, you mean it boots off an SD card with no modifications, as it is from the factory? I'll try that.
balbes150
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, multiboot is already up and running with LE. In this topic, you can learn more.

https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread-1506.html

By the way, LE can be used for some experiments with the kernel. There are no package managers, but you can LE add binary files (git, make etc) and to use this system to reassemble the desired items.
The_Pope
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not interested in LibreElec. I want to try and build a full Gentoo desktop. I need to play media files with mplayer sporting the aa renderer, or the caca renderer. I need to display Windows screensavers, I remember reading that there is a way, with qemu. And so on. Just running Kodi with some distro behind isn't enough.

If this fails, I think I can get an S905 to try it on.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running gentoo on a S905 box, I used a slightly different (and hackerish) method:
I had libreelec installed on nand (with installtointernal), and the bootloader patched with balbes150 scrit (thanks) the internal eMMC is partitioned in the dtb and libreelec uses 1GB for the sysem + some space for the kernel and the rest for data. After boot the partitions are available as /dev/boot /dev/system /dev/data, I decided this partitioning scheme was good for me, and I was too lazy to build a new dtp wih a different partitioning scheme.
There is support for the board (without graphics) in the 4.9 kernel but I decided that the libreelec kernel was also good for me so I used abootimg to extract the kernel image from libreelec's kernel.img, modified the init scrit in the initrd so that it mounted the /dev/data partition and switched_root starting /etc/init, rebuilt the kernel.img (Android) boot image and installed a stage 3 gentoo on the /dev/data partition using chroot. I am using the /dev/system partition for swap.
It is working great so far, apart the oldish kernel ... I'd like to try the nel mainline kernel from linux-meson but I had no time to try, I use it mostly as a mail and web server, maybe some recent FS drivers would be good but I am not using btrfs so it can wait.
There aren't many risks (I think) since balbes150 bootloader boots from the sd card first and than from the internal eMMC,it makes a great home server for 25$, emerge is incredibly fast, 4 CPU@1.6Ghz

My make.conf:
Code:

CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe  -march=armv8-a+crc+fp+simd -mabi=lp64 -mcpu=cortex-a53+crc+fp+simd"

CHOST="aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
LC_MESSAGES=C
USE="arm64 -X"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"

gcc's -march=native doesn't work on arm64.

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67,

Quote:

That's what gcc-6.x is for. Well, it has a lot of arm64 improvements.

-- edit --

If you are using gcc-4.x just now. Upgrade to gcc-5.x and deal with the pain of the C++ ABI change.
Once that's behind you, get gcc-6.3.

There is no going back to gcc-4.x unless you do the C++ ABI change on the way back.

gcc-6.3 with the gold linker from binutils-2.27 mostly works on my Pi3 in 64 bit mode.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
erm67,

Quote:

That's what gcc-6.x is for. Well, it has a lot of arm64 improvements.

-- edit --

If you are using gcc-4.x just now. Upgrade to gcc-5.x and deal with the pain of the C++ ABI change.
Once that's behind you, get gcc-6.3.

There is no going back to gcc-4.x unless you do the C++ ABI change on the way back.

gcc-6.3 with the gold linker from binutils-2.27 mostly works on my Pi3 in 64 bit mode.

Well I'll put that on my todo list, after the 4.9 kernel from lnux-meson and create ebuilds for the amlogic patches and codecs required for this board, I just installed the stable stage3 from gentoo-experimental and it comes with gcc 4.9.4, I guess I should just use ~arm64 and emerge -e world

BTW according to gcc 6 man page:
Quote:
The value ‘native’ is available on native AArch64 GNU/Linux and causes the compiler to pick the architecture of the host system. This option has no effect if the compiler is unable to recognize the architecture of the host system,

Are you sure -arch=native actually recognizes the CPU on the raspy?

EDIT: ok it looks like it was fixed https://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=70133

balbes150
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Pope wrote:
Yeah, I'm not interested in LibreElec. I want to try and build a full Gentoo desktop. I need to play media files with mplayer sporting the aa renderer, or the caca renderer. I need to display Windows screensavers, I remember reading that there is a way, with qemu. And so on. Just running Kodi with some distro behind isn't enough.

If this fails, I think I can get an S905 to try it on.

Test alpha images. The main purpose - a basic assessment of health schedules (a bunch of the kernel + dtb). To check system startup you need to activate the multi-boot (all required files included in the images). On my sample s812 activation multi-boot is possible only with SD card, maybe on other devices it works with USB. After activating a multi-boot system running from USB (I'm running every test with USB flash drives). Please check the possibility of launching on the platform s802. Pay attention - the system must copy the appropriate dtb file with the name "dtb.img".

https://yadi.sk/d/wc2jqGsHuKy48
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately gentoo arm64 is not really usable since it is not really a supported architecture, other non x86(_64)? boards are having the same problems, just read other posts this forum. To be honest gentoo never really worked on anything but x86 and amd64, now thing improved a bit with the autounmask feature of portage but it is not perfect ... since it is not intended to deal with the fundamental problem of arm64, lack of keywording. In other words nobody adds the ~arm64 or arm64 keyword to the ebuilds and portage doesn't know what to build. autounmask will usually unmask the highest development ebuild, often a -9999 (git/svn) and that is often not the best choice since it is really unstable in all senses ;). beside that there are still unsolved issues with autounmask, perl for example still requires manual unmasking.
In fact autounmask is intended to be used by users of amd64 or x86 that wants to unmask only some ~amd64 or ~x86 ebuilds and not to deal with unmaintained keywords.
The only solution to have a decent system comparable to ~amd64 is to manually edit the ebuild that has a amd64 or ~amd64 keyword and add a ~arm64 or arm64 keyword (I did for ffmpeg, mariadb, php), most packages that compiles and work on amd64 builds and works on arm64 without any special treatment using a recent compiler like gcc-6 (apart opcache), the problem is that keywording ebuilds is a tedious work that nobody does, and honestly given that almost everything just compiles and works, beside being tediuos is also useless and stupid, it would be a lot better blacklist ebuild that doesn't work on an arch than whitelist thousands of ebuild manually to catch the few that doesn't.
I think I will try a script that walks through portage and replaces amd64 with arm64 later today, just to see what happens. Automaically turn a amd64 ebuild into a arm64 ebuild has very likely the same chance of sucess of compiling a arm ebuild on a arm5t or on a arm7h CPU and both architecture share the same arm keyword for portage .....

That said my little S905 box is incredibly fast using the internal eMMC, I succesfully emerge -e world my system with apache php tvheadend mariadb ffmpeg transmission overnight, if I have to manually edit the ebuils that I intend to emerge it will take onsiderably more, probably too long. The problem is that it took just a few minutes to install archlinuxarm, and it works almost perfectly with balbes150 kernel. also archlinux's aur has the same lack of keywording problem but it can be automatically solved with customizepkg (add#arch#aarch64) .....
There should be a similar tool for portage that automatically adds keywords based on othe keywords, i.e. if (keyword(amd64)==true) add_keyword (arm64);
tvheadend on this board is able to convert to mpeg4 and stream full size SD DVB broadcasts... and the CpU usage isn't even 100%

mDup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: arm64 gentoo Reply with quote

Starting from balbes150's system, with some keyword hacking ("* ~*") and adjusting arch/arm64/use.mask one can natively build and run kernel + gentoo arm64 for amlogic s905x just fine. I now have a bleeding edge lightweight desktop running LxQt + some Qt5 and Gtk+3 applications. Xorg is fb based. I did not yet successfully build bigger packages such as firefox and libreoffice. But most other software I need, I could build (vlc, mplayer, imagemagick, wireshark, ... and more). I also hacked gcc and glibc ebuilds to be 6.3.0 and 2.24 respectively. I can provide some n00b images for now without much support...
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to post it but did some tests with gcc-6 and
"-march=native -mcpu=native"
produces exactly the same binaries as:
"-march=armv8-a+crc+fp+simd -mabi=lp64 -mcpu=cortex-a53+crc+fp+simd"

binaries produced using only -march=native or -mcpu=native differs, I have not done any speed test.

@mDup did you manage to unmask the neon use flag? The CPU supports it (+simd), I think it might be useful

@balbes150 the kernel sources from your git repo are probably patched to be cross-compiled, it would be nice to have a kernel tree able to compile natively ...

Code:
Makefile:599: /usr/src/linux/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/usr/src/linux/arch//Makefile'.  Stop.

EDIT: 8) I got fedora 25 aarch up&running on the board with this method:
https://rwmj.wordpress.com/2015/05/24/fedora-21-chrooted-on-an-aarch64-nexus-9/

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67,

As you say, arm64 is a bit like the wild west. There as a stable @system, then you are on your own.

Very little is even keyworded ~arm64 and raw autounmask is not your friend either, you need to fix all the version numbers to be <9999.
A few need more careful masking. Xfrc4, libreoffice, firefox and icedtea all work. Thunderbird builds but segfaults on launch.

arm64 is a long way from stable but if you want to learn in the Gentoo wild west, adding ~arm64 keywords is a way to do just that.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
mDup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:

@mDup did you manage to unmask the neon use flag? The CPU supports it (+simd), I think it might be useful

@balbes150 the kernel sources from your git repo are probably patched to be cross-compiled, it would be nice to have a kernel tree able to compile natively ...

Code:
Makefile:599: /usr/src/linux/arch//Makefile: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target '/usr/src/linux/arch//Makefile'.  Stop.

About kernel build, maybe you did not set ARCH ? here is recipe
Code:
export ARCH=arm64
git clone https://github.com/150balbes/Amlogic_s905-kernel.git
git checkout S905X
make clean
make mrproper
cp -p /boot/config-3.14.29 .config
make oldconfig
make -j13 Image
make -j13 dtbs
make -j13 modules

Also, just for kernel I switch to gcc 4.9.4 since 5.4.0-r2 and 6.3.0 give some (I assume minor) build errors.

About neon flag:
USE=neon emerge --with-bdeps y --complete-graph -NDupv world system
does not trigger any rebuild.

BUT
I have added -neon to /usr/portage/profiles/arch/arm64/use.mask
(note the minus sign) and that does trigger some rebuilds.

I had already commented out some use flags in /usr/portage/profiles/arch/arm64/use.mask
Code:
#dvb
#ruby
#gnutls
#gpg
#emacs
#mythtv
#mysql
#dvd
#dvd
#upnp
#bluray
#opencl

But that was not sufficient for enabling x264 (for example) in some builds. So I had to add
-x264 likewise (note minus sign)

Last edited by mDup on Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
mDup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:

As you say, arm64 is a bit like the wild west.[...]

perhaps yes 8)
but I do have a well running natively built bleeding edge arm64 LxQt desktop ...
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mDup wrote:
NeddySeagoon wrote:

As you say, arm64 is a bit like the wild west.[...]

perhaps yes 8)
but I do have a well running natively built bleeding edge arm64 LxQt desktop ...

You mean that with ~30$ we have a nice looking well running natively built bleeding edge arm64 LxQt quadcore desktop with 2Gb RAM, a 16Gb fast eMMC (ssd), Gbit ethernet wi-fi and bluetooth :-)

Well I still have to compile wifi & bluetooth drivers and userland but it works well in libreelec .....

Thanks for the tips, I guessed that the profile needed some tweaking for the neon use flag :-)

mDup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:

Thanks for the tips, I guessed that the profile needed some tweaking for the neon use flag :-)

FYI : I get neon configure complaints
Code:
 emerge pixman
configure: error: ARM NEON intrinsics not detected
 emerge pulseaudio
configure: error: *** Compiler does not support -mfpu=neon or CFLAGS override -mfpu
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67,

How does neon fit into arm64, neon being a 32 bit FPU extension?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
erm67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
erm67,

How does neon fit into arm64, neon being a 32 bit FPU extension?

https://www.arm.com/products/processors/technologies/neon.php
Quote:
NEON technology is a 128-bit SIMD (Single Instruction, Multiple Data) architecture extension for the ARM Cortex™-A series processors, designed to provide flexible and powerful acceleration for consumer multimedia applications, delivering a significantly enhanced user experience. It has 32 registers, 64-bits wide (dual view as 16 registers, 128-bits wide.

A-53 is a A-series CPU ...... I read somewhere the S905 shoud have the extension.
btw neon is a synonym for Advanced SIMD which sounds like the +asimd in /proc/cpuinfo

I am still battling masks and unmask anyway ...

using * in package.accept_keywords produces what I want, like

media-libs/x264 *

Too bad * can be used only in package.accept_keywords, is there a way to convince autounmask-write to write * instead of ~arm64?

Last edited by erm67 on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
mDup
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm67 wrote:

I am still battling masks and unmask anyway ...

FYI here are some of my files content:
sure arm64 profile can further be experimented with
Code:
minimx-g ~ # for p in /etc/portage/package.*
> do
> echo == $p
> cat $p
> done
== /etc/portage/package.keywords
app-crypt/pinentry ~arm64
dev-embedded/u-boot-tools ~arm64
dev-libs/libksba ~arm64
dev-perl/Net-SMTP-SSL ~arm64
=media-video/vlc-9999 **
net-misc/curl ~arm64
net-misc/rdist **
== /etc/portage/package.mask
=x11-wm/enlightenment-1*
== /etc/portage/package.unmask
media-video/vlc
=x11-wm/enlightenment-0*
== /etc/portage/package.use
app-crypt/pinentry -qt5
app-editors/emacs gtk
app-editors/vim minimal
app-text/ghostscript-gpl cups
dev-libs/efl egl gles sound
dev-libs/libixion -python
dev-libs/liborcus -python
dev-libs/libpcre pcre16
dev-qt/qtgui egl
dev-qt/qtwayland egl
dev-util/cmake -qt5
lxqt-base/lxqt-meta lightdm
media-gfx/imagemagick jpeg png
media-libs/gegl cairo
media-libs/gexiv2 introspection
media-libs/harfbuzz -graphite
media-libs/libmypaint gegl
media-libs/libpng apng
media-libs/libvpx svc
media-plugins/audacious-plugins -gtk3 lame mp3
media-sound/audacious -gtk3
media-video/vlc httpd lua rtsp
net-nds/openldap -cxx
sys-auth/consolekit policykit
sys-libs/zlib minizip
x11-libs/libxcb xkb
x11-libs/libxkbcommon X
minimx-g ~ # cat /etc/portage/make.conf  | egrep -v '^(#|$)'
CHOST=aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu
ARCH=arm64
HOSTCC=aarch64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="* ~*"
USE="acl alsa arm64 avahi bash-completion bluetooth c++0x c++11 cxx
dbus -debug -doc egl gles gles2 dri dvb -examples fbdev ffmpeg -gnome -gtk -gtk2 gtk3
icu ipv6 -kde -libav -llvm mali posix pulseaudio python -qt -qt3 -qt4 qt5
sqlite -static -static-libs truetype upnp v4l v4l2 vorbis wayland xattr x264 x265 X"
CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fexceptions -std=gnu++11"
FEATURES="collision-protect preserve-libs sandbox buildpkg noman noinfo nodoc"
PKGDIR=/packages/
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp/
ELIBC="glibc"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="*"
PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5"
USE_PYTHON="2.7 3.5"
RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24"
USE_RUBY="ruby24"
VIDEO_CARDS="mali fbdev"
LC_MESSAGES=C
minimx-g ~ # cat /usr/portage/profiles/arch/arm64/use.mask | sort | egrep -v '^(#|$)' | uniq
3dfx
aacplus
ace
afs
amr
anthy
-arm64
audit
bazaar
beagle
bs2b
cblas