Plasma fails to start: We have no shell handlers installed
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musv
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Plasma fails to start: We have no shell handlers installed Reply with quote

Hi,

just updated the whole system including the whole KDE bunch. Installed is plasma-5.8.4.

Unfortunately the Plasma desktop refuses to start. SDDM starts. When I select Plasma (no wayland) the KDE splashscreen appears. After quite a long while I get the error message:

kde wrote:
A shell package is missing.
This is an installation problem. Please get in contact with you distribution.

(translated from German:
Quote:
Ein Shell-Paket fehlt.
Dies ist ein Installationsproblem. Bitte nehmen Sie Kontakt mit Ihrer Distribution auf.

Ok, that's nice and tells me the exact error. The journal-log (Systemd) is a little bit more communicative.

Code:
Nov 29 20:00:56 hexe ksmserver[648]: ksmserver: autostart service "/usr/bin/plasmashell" finished with exit code  255
Nov 29 20:00:56 hexe kwin_x11[666]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1983, resource id: 48234636, major code: 18 (ChangeProperty), minor code: 0
Nov 29 20:00:56 hexe plasmashell[671]: We have no shell handlers installed
Nov 29 20:00:54 hexe gpm[384]: *** debug [daemon/old_main.c(158)]: selected 1 times
Nov 29 19:59:41 hexe kwin_x11[666]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1413, resource id: 14680072, major code: 2 (ChangeWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
Nov 29 19:59:41 hexe kwin_x11[666]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 1410, resource id: 14680072, major code: 20 (GetProperty), minor code: 0

Google sends me with "We have no shell handlers installed" mostly to the guys from Arch and Ubuntu. And they recommend to re-install all KDE packages.

Nevertheless KDE seems to work almost completely. When I press Alt+F2 I get the search dialog. And there every application (Systemsettings, Konsole) works fine. Even the Baloo Search gives me lot of search results.

eix plasma-desktop:
[I] kde-plasma/plasma-desktop
     Available versions:  (5) 5.7.5 (~)5.8.3 (~)5.8.4 **5.8.49.9999[1] **9999[1]
       {debug +fontconfig gtk2 gtk3 +handbook ibus +input_devices_evdev input_devices_synaptics legacy-systray packagekit pulseaudio +qt4 scim +semantic-desktop test}
     Installed versions:  5.8.4(5)(19:45:01 11/29/16)(fontconfig handbook input_devices_evdev pulseaudio qt4 semantic-desktop -debug -gtk2 -gtk3 -ibus -input_devices_synaptics -legacy-systray -packagekit -scim -test)
     Homepage:            https://www.kde.org/
     Description:         KDE Plasma desktop

Where do I get the shell handler from? And what's that thing?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: