Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
KDE How do I make new windows apprear on the primary screen?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
as.gentoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject: KDE How do I make new windows apprear on the primary screen? Reply with quote

Hello

I use two monitors for gentoo. The one where most things happen is straight and set as the primary monitor in the system settings. I use another monitor - set to secondary - which is on the left.
It looks like this happens when a new program is started: a new window appears on that screen that has the focus. In that I'm not sure what setting a screen as primary or secondary means…
Is there a way to set the primary monitor as primary for all programs (no matter if it has the focus or not)?

As well, if that secondary monitor is turned on after the primary was - e.g. waking up from suspend - then almost all windows from the primary monitor move to the secondary, left one.
This behavior is new - maybe started two weeks ago. Right now this is what's installed here (HTH)
kde-apps/kdebase-meta-16.08.3
kde-plasma/plasma-workspace-5.8.4
kde-plasma/systemsettings-5.8.4
Before that the windows stayed where they was (screen powered on or not). When things that I do only need the primary monitor why should I waste energy by turning the secondary on?
Maybe this is a setup issue as well. So is there a "stay-where-you-was-before"-setting? Isn't that what suspend is ment to do? Looks like new versions tackle here.

thanks in advance
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could create a rule matching all windows, that forces them to open on the desired screen:
Systemsettings -> Window Management -> Window Rules

For the "all windows go back to some screen on suspend" issue and/or "all windows move to the other monittor when i turn off one" see if stopping the kscreen daemon helps
(It tries to automagically second-guess stuff for those that plug-in-and-out monitors every 5 minutes, and fails on more mundane setups/wishes):
Systemsettings ->Startup and Shuhtdown -> Background Services
Disable KScreen2 in the lower list, and also stop it.
as.gentoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i4dnf wrote:
You could create a rule matching all windows, that forces them to open on the desired screen:
Systemsettings -> Window Management -> Window Rules
Nice, it works for almost everything I tried (but gimp).
Just in case: I had to set this for almost all window types - what I did not set are: docking (control bar/plasmashell), greeting dialog and workspace/desktop. Non-english system here, so the names might differ.

Quote:
For the "all windows go back to some screen on suspend" issue and/or "all windows move to the other monittor when i turn off one" see if stopping the kscreen daemon helps
(It tries to automagically second-guess stuff for those that plug-in-and-out monitors every 5 minutes, and fails on more mundane setups/wishes):
Systemsettings ->Startup and Shuhtdown -> Background Services
Disable KScreen2 in the lower list, and also stop it.
This did it for suspend and turn-on/-off screens in the session.
Does kscreen2 does serve any other purpose?

Thanks for the help!

I guess I'm not the only one … ahm … surprised by the new behavoiur. Maybe the advise here could be mentioned in the KDE wiki.?!
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as.gentoo wrote:
Nice, it works for almost everything I tried (but gimp).

It wouldn't be gimp if it wouldn't be special. I guess it wants a special rule all for itself.

as.gentoo wrote:
Does kscreen2 does serve any other purpose?

AFAIK no. Its only purpose is automagical mangling of screen/display setups.
as.gentoo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a single rule for gimp but what opens on the primary screen is the small "greeting window" where you can see the brown fox painting which disappears after about a second. The window where you can actually work on is still on the secondary screen.
BTW: I mainly use gimp in single window mode.

However there is an option in gimp to make the main window appear (when gimp is started) on the same screen that it was closen on.
Maybe you can only place the first window of a program by using "system control > window rules" but everything else is under the control of the program.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: