"Slideshow" desktop wallpaper time setting seems not to work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
urcindalo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: "Slideshow" desktop wallpaper time setting seems n Reply with quote

Hi and thanks for reading this.

I use xplanetFX to render a new Earth image every ten minutes, which I'd like then to set as my desktop wallpaper.

Back in the good old KDE 4 times, it was as easy as selecting "Slideshow" as my desktop wallpaper setting, pointing it to the folder where I render the xplanetFX's image into, and set its timer every ten minutes.

Unfortunately, the same thing does not seem to work automatically on Plasma 5 (stable amd64 packages). By automatically I mean that, if I open Desktop Settings ("Slideshow" mode) and change from "centered" to "scaled", for instance, and then I hit Apply, then the definded folder is read and the wallpaper is updated (the folder contains just one image file, two at most if I set a symlink to it). But, if I do nothing, the timer setting does not seem to be honored and the image is never updated at the defined intervals, even though xplanetFX is correctly updating the rendered image every ten minutes.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slideshow seems to switch between pictures in the directory, thats what i have it doing and the timer works. It looks like if you only have 1 picture instead of reapplying it that it seems to think that since its the same file it doesnt need to change. Im not sure how to get the behavior you seek. You might need to do some scripting and a cron job renaming and deleting files

-The First Law of Mentat
urcindalo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to find a valid and easy workaround. The details, here:
https://forum.siduction.org/index.php?topic=5672.msg52895#msg52895
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: