Bare minimum KDE support for K3B?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unix Ronin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Bare minimum KDE support for K3B? Reply with quote

I'm not a KDE user. I'm not an any-packaged-desktop-environment user. I have my own very lightweight minimalist desktop implemented using fvwm.

However, I do like K3B. There is not to my knowledge another optical-media burner front end that is even half as good. But it's the ONLY KDE app I use. Absolutely the only one.

What is the absolute minimum KDE installation I can get away with to support K3B, and how do I make it happen? My KDE footprint had grown to over 100 packages before I went through this morning and cleared it out. I've got it stripped back again to kde-base/kdelibs, kde-base/kde-env, and it's quite reasonable that kde-apps/libkcddb would get pulled in; it's a mystery to me why kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools or kde-base/katepart are being pulled in (as far as I can see, nothing is installed that depends on either one), but OK, that's only two packages, I can live with them. And I suppose I can see why kde-apps/khelpcenter would get pulled in. But I'm getting about fifty packages worth of kde-frameworks pulled in as well. Are those unavoidable?
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the response is in this comment of asturm
Unix Ronin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
I think the response is in this comment of asturm

Believe me, I would love a KDE-free port of K3B.

Of course, I'd also like to see a bugfix update to media-sound/grip. But the author has abandoned it, and while I maintain a package for it in my unofficial overlay, I haven't yet managed to figure out what's causing the editor-pane glitch, and Gentoo dropped the package several years ago.

(The problem in media-sound/grip is that something keeps moving the focus in the track editing pane back to track 1 about once a second, which makes it to all practical purposes impossible to enter track information for a new CD that cddb/freedb doesn't yet know about. But that's a whole separate issue from K3B.)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare minimum KDE support for K3B? Reply with quote

Unix Ronin wrote:
it's a mystery to me why kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools

`equery depends` is your friend.

Unix Ronin wrote:
or kde-base/katepart are being pulled in (as far as I can see, nothing is installed that depends on either one)

kde-base/kdelibs does.

Unix Ronin wrote:
And I suppose I can see why kde-apps/khelpcenter would get pulled in.

USE=-handbook

Unix Ronin wrote:
But I'm getting about fifty packages worth of kde-frameworks pulled in as well. Are those unavoidable?

No, certainly not required for k3b:4 but pulled in by kde-cli-tools (that is being pulled in for some other unknown reason, see also quote 1).
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try your chances with the kf5 based k3b-9999. Should pull in less cruft.
(It'll seem like more packages pulled in but you need to keep in mind that the monolithic kdelibs has been split up into smaller parts)
Unix Ronin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bare minimum KDE support for K3B? Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
Unix Ronin wrote:
it's a mystery to me why kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools

`equery depends` is your friend.

Unix Ronin wrote:
or kde-base/katepart are being pulled in (as far as I can see, nothing is installed that depends on either one)

kde-base/kdelibs does.

Unix Ronin wrote:
And I suppose I can see why kde-apps/khelpcenter would get pulled in.

USE=-handbook

Unix Ronin wrote:
But I'm getting about fifty packages worth of kde-frameworks pulled in as well. Are those unavoidable?

No, certainly not required for k3b:4 but pulled in by kde-cli-tools (that is being pulled in for some other unknown reason, see also quote 1).

Indeed, I am on good terms with 'equery depends'. It already told me that nothing depends on kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools except sys-block/gparted IF built with USE=kde, and I have it built with USE=—kde. So whatever is pulling in kde-cli-tools should not be gparted, and there are no other candidates listed by 'equery depends'.

However, according to gparted-0.26.1.ebuild, kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools[kdesu] should be a dependency ONLY if both !policykit AND kde. So I tried recompiling gparted with not only —kde but with policykit. And something unknown is still pulling in kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools. Also, after setting USE=—handbook for app-cdr/k3b, something is still pulling in kde-apps/khelpcenter. But it is still not shown as a dependency for anything.

Finally by resorting to masking kde-apps/khelpcenter and kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools to see what screamed, I was able to get Portage to tell me that kde-base/katepart also has a handbook USE (which 'equery hasuse handbook' apparently didn't think I needed to know). By setting kde-base/katepart -handbook and kde-base/kdelibs -upower -handbook, then emerging -avDN kde-base/kdelibs, I was able to get the kde-frameworks overhead down to two packages, kde-frameworks/extra-cmake-modules and kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons. I can live with that. Emerge -pvDN app-cdr/k3b then turned up another 'stealth' USE=handbook in kde-apps/libkcddb.

So the recipe seems to be:
Code:
app-cdr/k3b -handbook
app-office/libreoffice -kde
kde-apps/libkcddb -handbook
kde-base/katepart -handbook
kde-base/kdelibs -handbook
sys-block/gparted policykit -kde

Which leaves the following KDE package requirements:

Code:
kde-apps/libkcddb
kde-base/katepart
kde-base/kde-env
kde-base/kdelibs
kde-frameworks/extra-cmake-modules
kde-frameworks/oxygen-icons
sys-auth/polkit-kde-agent
Unix Ronin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i4dnf wrote:
You could also try your chances with the kf5 based k3b-9999. Should pull in less cruft.
(It'll seem like more packages pulled in but you need to keep in mind that the monolithic kdelibs has been split up into smaller parts)

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't see a k3b-9999. Is there an overlay I need to add to have it as an option?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Unix Ronin: handbook is a global USE flag. Most KDE packages have it.

k3b-9999 is in KDE overlay, but there soon should be a KF5-based release happening, that will make it to tree.

Unix Ronin wrote:
Indeed, I am on good terms with 'equery depends'. It already told me that nothing depends on kde-plasma/kde-cli-tools except sys-block/gparted IF built with USE=kde, and I have it built with USE=—kde. So whatever is pulling in kde-cli-tools should not be gparted, and there are no other candidates listed by 'equery depends'.

equery depends tells you what _installed_ packages are pulling in a package, it can not sense which _would-be_ packages are in your emerge command.
Unix Ronin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
@Unix Ronin: handbook is a global USE flag. Most KDE packages have it.

k3b-9999 is in KDE overlay, but there soon should be a KF5-based release happening, that will make it to tree.

Unix Ronin wrote:

equery depends tells you what _installed_ packages are pulling in a package, it can not sense which _would-be_ packages are in your emerge command.

Point. It can't read the future to know what I'm about to try to install.

And, note taken about handbook; now disabled globally.

I'll wait for k3b-9999 to make it to the tree, and clean up again then.
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However there's:
Code:
equery depgraph [--depth N] k3b

also shortened as:
Code:
equery g [--depth N] k3b

that will give you the dependency graph of k3b [to depth N].
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: