Need help with "IMPORTANT: 4 config files in '/etc/portage'
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enrico68
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Need help with "IMPORTANT: 4 config files in '/etc/port Reply with quote

Hello,

after finishing my installation, with KDE DE, I tried to install Firefox, through
Code:
emerge --ask www-client/firefox
but apparently there is an issue with some files that need updating, in order for Portage to emerge the source version. I did spend quite some time reading and trying "dispatch-conf" or "etc-update", and the configuration file protection, but to no avail. Right now I have 4 files in /etc/portage that need to be updated. I hope I did not delete anything important while I was trying my way out...
I would appreciate if someone could help me resolve this, and, while doing it, I know I will learn another new trick to manage my Gentoo installation,

enrico
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dispatch-conf and etc-update are tools to help you fix your config files. It will give you an option for each to use the new file, use old file, or let you edit the two files together. If you have a new system that you didn't customize, typically using the new file is easiest.

Your config files are considered "broken" or at least need update when you emerge a new package that comes with a new config file that does not match what was there. It does try to automatically do what it can but more often than not, it won't know what to do.

In each directory that contains a file that this has happened to, the new file gets placed in ._cfgXXXX_filename where filename is the file that needs to be updated. This file contains the "new" reference file. XXXX will increment from 0000 to 0001 to 0002 and so forth for the first, second, third time the file does not get updated upon a fresh merge.

You can delete the ._cfgXXXX_filename files after you've dealt with them and the warning will go away. etc-update and dispatch-conf will handle this for you.
enrico68
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi eccerr0r,

all it took me was to get away from the PC for a while, to cool off, and then in a matter of seconds I was able do deal with the dispatch-conf thing. I have now Firefox up and running, and I could not be happier...lol...
Many thanks for helping me, it wasn't that hard, actually, it was not hard, at all.

Regards,

enrico :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: