that steam problem....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ayleid96
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: that steam problem.... Reply with quote

When i installed gentoo i wanted to install steam also.. i fired up layman and added steam overlay... it just wont install i dont remember why... then i manually downloaded steam linux binaries, then i built deps also manually... everything worked, i runned steam and it was downloading update.... i waited i logged in and downloaded Half-Life, played for a bit... and then closed steam, and then i opened it up again and it gave me seg fault....... everytime i wanted to run steam it gave me seg fault..... i delete .steam folder and unchecked "Log me in automaticly" something like that XD and it worked like a charm... for about 3 months i am playing games on steam without problems... just unchecked that box..... weird..

i wanted to ask, is anyone experienced something simillar with steam?
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Steam/Client_troubleshooting#Segfault_when_remember_my_password_is_selected

yeah, known bug. I installed it from an overlay successfully but had that bug. I still havent ticked it on...
ChrisJumper
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another little Steam question:

So the Steam client is a 32 bit application. And some new games like some new Civilization game for example need a 64 bit OS. So that will not work or will it?

Is there no 64 bit application of Steam or multilib version of that stuff out there? Or is that just about the client and that its not important if the client is just present, to download the 64 binary?

Update: Oh i found gamingonlinux.com wrote about it in 2013. But is that still up to date and possible on Gentoo too?

I just ask before i buy something.
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Thunder is 64bit. Runs fine from Steam. Remember, Steam simply launches the game binary file. It does not "wrap" the game somehow. 32bit applications may start 64bit applications with ease. I wouldn't sweat it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: