Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
eix netscape: No matches found. how come?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:52 pm    Post subject: eix netscape: No matches found. how come? Reply with quote

Flux & Contemplation - Portrait of an Artist in Isolation

Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same reason you can't find IE5 for Unix or Konqueror 3 in portage.
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Same reason you can't find IE5 for Unix or Konqueror 3 in portage.
i can imagine that. the question is more who takes care of internet archaeology? i have got that idea when trying to play a few years old humble bundle games which did not start anymore due to missing dependences on gentoo.

Hu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archiving programs of historical interest is a useful pursuit, but it should not be done in the main Gentoo tree. Users generally have expectations about software in the main tree, which historical programs would often fail to satisfy. In particular, as Ant P. implied, even the latest release of Netscape is so badly outdated that it would be irresponsible to let anyone run it on the open Internet.

Missing dependencies is a common problem for older programs. It can usually be fixed by rebuilding the affected program. In some cases, the affected program may depend on a package which does not make sufficient API compatibility guarantees for that to work, in which case some patching may be required.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you want to search overlays, or any provided software for current gentoo installations

https://gpo.zugaina.org/Search?search=netscape

I would not suggest using software with security issues.

I'm not sure but some browser in portage had the looks and feels of very old netscape navigator 2 years ago. Which kinda surprised me

Quote:
i have got that idea when trying to play a few years old humble bundle games which did not start anymore due to missing dependences on gentoo.

There are still severs who provide binary distro discs. I saw antique Suse Linux isos on servers.

My suggestion: Use the dos version + dosbox (works usually); use wine + 10y+ windows software; install a binary distro in a virtual environment and play it from there.

Quote:
internet archaeology?

for some stuff there are archives and otehr sites. Basically software vanish. There are even coders who preserve old software with copy protection... I'll not link here any links because of the law.

The codeword is retro computing. And guys even preserve the hardware and play / use the software on these computers. Some hardware is kinda expensive these days, or rare
e3k
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roman_Gruber wrote:

There are still severs who provide binary distro discs. I saw antique Suse Linux isos on servers.

yes this seams to be the easiest way to do it. most of the games i played 5 years ago did run well on gentoo but now some dependencies are missing. unfortunately i did not create an image of the system 5 years ago so currently i can only try to download something like the Suse Linux isos you mentioned.

ad wine and dosbox: i am speaking here of native linux games.

ad Netscape 4: it was just an example i would do it only for nostalgy reasons. Anyway it shows how complicated it is to reach old software today.
for the old games running on old OS a pc without internet connection would be secure enough.

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: