View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: "diffuse" has quit working Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly when it went bad, but "diffuse" has quit working, specifically on line 120 with the "import gi". I've looked up that this is "GObject Introspection", and I generally have introspection turned off, turning it back on piecemeal as necessary. This dates back to a bit of "systemd paranoia" where it seemed like any little hook might start requiring systemd, so I turned a lot of stuff off, this being one. I suspect the removal of pygtk is also involved here.

I presume that I can get diffuse working again by adding a "+instrospection" to the right library in "/etc/portage/package.use", but I'm not sure how to diagnose. This should also be folded into the diffuse ebuild. I guess I need to file a bug, probably tomorrow.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current version in ::gentoo has a hard dependency on:
Code:
x11-libs/gtk+:3[introspection]
So it shouldn't even be installed without it set on gtk+:3 and its dependencies.

I have -introspection globally but if I add the flag to the minimal set of libraries needed to emerge gtk+:3[introspection] then diffuse "seems" to work just with a lot of deprecation warnings (not that it's software I'm familiar with), tried with py3.8 on a ~amd64 system.

The pygtk-based version been removed since March 2020, so pygtk should be unrelated unless somehow still using that.

Edit: That aside, it could probably use a version bump soon.. the finished 0.5.0 version advertising brand new py3-compat was released in July and currently gentoo is using an alpha from February (used early to save it from py2), wouldn't be surprising if it's the source of problems.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the new version, and gtk+-3 has the "introspection" flag.
Code:
$ emerge -ptv gtk+ diffuse

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] dev-util/diffuse-0.5.0_alpha7-r1::gentoo  PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_7 -python3_6 -python3_8" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ]  x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.22:3::gentoo  USE="X cups introspection (-aqua) -broadway -cloudprint -colord -examples -gtk-doc -test -vim-syntax -wayland -xinerama" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB

Total: 2 packages (2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
dale@harvey ~ $

I'll try filing a bug later today, I guess. I suspect there's a dependency or USE dependency missing in the ebuild that's normal for systemd.
tholin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had the same problem a while ago.

Some update (of python?) had set python3.8 as the default python interpreter. Diffuse use a #!/usr/bin/env python3 shebang so it used python3.8 by default but dev-python/pygobject had not been built with PYTHON_TARGETS=python3_8. I just set the default interpreter to python3.7 with "eselect python set --python3 python3.7". Diffuse worked after that.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah didn't think to have a look at that, that is a bug and should be reported. It's not supposed to have a non-specific shebang, using eselect is a workaround and shouldn't normally be required.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius: what is the output of emerge --pretend --verbose dev-python/pygobject ; eselect python list? The ebuild should have required you to install pygobject with support for the Python version that diffuse will be instructed to use. The eselect is to validate the suggestion from tholin.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all. That was it.

Code:
emerge -pv pygobject

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] dev-python/pygobject-3.36.1:3::gentoo  USE="cairo -examples -test" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_7 -python3_6 -python3_8 (-python3_9)" 0 KiB

eselect python list
Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
  [1]   python3.6
  [2]   python2.7
  [3]   python3.8 (fallback)
  [4]   python3.7 (fallback)

Simply (as root) "eselect python set 4" and I'm running again.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: