View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: Does pantheon work in gentoo? Reply with quote

Hello,
After a long hiatus I I've decided to try going back to using Linux as a desktop system. Gentoo seems like the only option I enjoy (been running it on servers and as a desktop before).

I had a brief look at desktop environments out there and it seems pantheon looks pretty promising, the questions are:
- does Pantheon work on Gentoo (does anyone here run it as a daily driver DE)?
- does Pantheon really depend on systemd ? While trying to emerge pantheon-shell, systemd got pulled in resulting in conflicts and I'm using openrc at the moment. Is it a hard dependency pulled somewhere from gnome world or is there a way around it? If the answer is no then I guess I have to switch from openrc?

Thanks,
charles17
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the dependencies listed in the ebuild https://github.com/pimvullers/elementary/blob/master/pantheon-base/pantheon-shell/pantheon-shell-0.2.ebuild and the GNOME Without systemd article.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

charles, the ebuild is quite unhelpful. A better hint would have been to emerge with the "--tree" option, so portage displays what actually pulls in what.

However, I've added the elementary overlay and tried for myself:
Code:
 # emerge --pretend --tree pantheon-shell
(...)
The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
(...)
# required by sys-apps/systemd-231::gentoo
# required by gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon-3.20.2::gentoo
# required by pantheon-base/pantheon-shell-0.3_pre::elementary
# required by pantheon-base/pantheon-shell (argument)
>=sys-apps/dbus-1.10.12 systemd
(...)
So at a first glance, gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon seems to be the culprit.
Code:
 # grep systemd /usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon-3.20.2.ebuild
inherit autotools eutils gnome2 python-any-r1 systemd udev virtualx
# systemd needed for power and session management, bug #464944
        !openrc-force? ( sys-apps/systemd )
        if ! systemd_is_booted; then
                ewarn "You are enabling 'openrc-force' USE flag to skip systemd requirement,"
Oh, that looks promising... But the flag is masked, so you have to unmask it first and then try again, now showing a tree of packages, although it still wants systemd:
Code:
 # echo "-openrc-force" >> /etc/portage/profile/use.mask
 # USE="openrc-force" emerge --pretend --tree pantheon-base/pantheon-shell               
(...)
[nomerge       ] pantheon-base/pantheon-shell-0.3_pre::elementary  USE="lightdm screensaver"
[nomerge       ]  x11-wm/gala-0.2.0::elementary
[nomerge       ]   pantheon-base/plank-0.10.2::elementary  USE="dbus -debug nls -static-libs"
[ebuild  N     ]    x11-themes/plank-theme-pantheon-0.1::elementary  15 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]     pantheon-base/plank-0.10.2::elementary  USE="dbus -debug nls -static-libs" 951 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]   x11-wm/mutter-3.20.3::gentoo  USE="introspection kms {-test} wayland" 1.454 KiB
(...)
[nomerge       ] x11-wm/mutter-3.20.3::gentoo  USE="introspection kms {-test} wayland"
[nomerge       ]  sys-apps/systemd-231:0/2::gentoo  USE="acl -apparmor -audit -cryptsetup -curl -doc -elfutils gcrypt -gnuefi -http -idn -importd kmod lz4 lzma -nat pam (policykit) -qrcode seccomp (-selinux) ssl -sysv-utils {-test} -vanilla -xkb" ABI_X86="-32 (64) (-x32)"
[ebuild  N    #]   sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration-6::gentoo  63 KiB
[ebuild   R    ]   sys-apps/dbus-1.10.12::gentoo  USE="X -debug -doc (-selinux) -static-libs systemd* {-test} -user-session" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild  N    #]    sys-apps/systemd-231:0/2::gentoo  USE="acl -apparmor -audit -cryptsetup -curl -doc -elfutils gcrypt -gnuefi -http -idn -importd kmod lz4 lzma -nat pam (policykit) -qrcode seccomp (-selinux) ssl -sysv-utils {-test} -vanilla -xkb" ABI_X86="-32 (64) (-x32)" 4.308 KiB
(...)
So it looks like this:
  • pantheon-base/pantheon-shell pulls in x11-wm/gala
  • x11-wm/gala pulls in x11-wm/mutter
  • x11-wm/mutter pulls in systemd
The only option left is to go looking whether something there is optional:
Code:
 # grep x11-wm/gala /var/lib/layman/elementary/pantheon-base/pantheon-shell/pantheon-shell-0.3_pre.ebuild
        x11-wm/gala
That one is fixed. Okay, it is Pantheon's Window Manager, so no surprise here.
Code:
 # grep x11-wm/mutter /var/lib/layman/elementary/x11-wm/gala/gala-0.2.0.ebuild
        >=x11-wm/mutter-3.8.4
That one is fixed, too. It is needed for compositing, so it does not really surprise me.
Code:
 # grep sys-apps/systemd /usr/portage/x11-wm/mutter/mutter-3.20.3.ebuild
                sys-apps/systemd
Oh? Being shifted to the right is a hint, that this one is optional:
Code:
 # grep -A 2 -B 5 sys-apps/systemd /usr/portage/x11-wm/mutter/mutter-3.20.3.ebuild
        kms? (
                dev-libs/libinput
                >=media-libs/clutter-1.20[egl]
                media-libs/cogl:1.0=[kms]
                >=media-libs/mesa-10.3[gbm]
                sys-apps/systemd
                virtual/libgudev
                x11-libs/libdrm:= )
Sooooo... If you can live without kms and wayland (which needs kms) support, systemd is not needed?
Code:
 # echo "x11-wm/mutter -kms -wayland" >> /etc/portage/package.use/test_pantheon
(...)
WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

pantheon-base/plank:0

(pantheon-base/plank-0.11.2:0/0::elementary, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    <pantheon-base/plank-0.11 required by (x11-wm/gala-0.2.0:0/0::elementary, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^                    ^^^^
Great. That overlay seems to be in quite a state...

So we have to try again with the gala live ebuild, as pantheon-base/plank-0.11.2 is marked stable, or we could try with masking plank-0.11.2.
Code:
 # echo "=x11-wm/gala-9999 **" >> /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/elementary
(...)
( list of packages here )
(...)
Total: 65 packages (61 new, 2 in new slots, 2 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 159.386 KiB
So, that's it, Pantheon without systemd.

I haven't tried with masked pantheon-base/plank-0.11.2, but you should now know how to analyze and solve such things.
adrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the analysis. The fact that gnome has a hard dependency on systemd without an alternative is concerning, but well maybe it's time for me to bite the bullet and cross to the dark side :)
Will try to set up pantheon tonight and report back in case anyone's interested.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adrin wrote:
The fact that gnome has a hard dependency on systemd without an alternative is concerning [...]

Everything you need to know about the state of GNOME with and without systemd and options for running it can be found here.

The short of it is that you can use Pantheon with or without systemd, however, if someone didn't do the work for you, you are going to have to do it yourself.

GNOME Without Systemd + Pantheon as suggested by charles17 is an option.

GNOME in "basic" OpenRC mode + Pantheon as suggested by Yamakuzure is also an option.

adrin wrote:
[...] but well maybe it's time for me to bite the bullet and cross to the dark side :)

This works too (you Rebel scum ;)).
adrin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, I've read a little bit about the whole systemd drama and find it pretty interesting.
I tried running pantheon, but for whatever reason it seems to be broken (the plank 'dock' shows up but the rest of the screen is black. Most likely it is a configuration issue (not running some services that are required?) or did not emerge some required packages. Decided to give KDE a try, but did not like it that much (the interface did not seem to be very polished, there were weird lags and glitches). Eventually installled Gnome and like it so far. I think it looks and feels pretty good (some things are obviously copied from macOS, but in that case its a good thing) and so far I am happy with it.
Thanks for all the info.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: