Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Don't update from within a Desktop Environment?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PseudoKrazy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Don't update from within a Desktop Environment? Reply with quote

Was reading this( https://lwn.net/Articles/702629/ ) article by a Fedora dev today. As it turns out, running "dnf update" from within a DE is not officially supported, as sometimes things can break.

Is this also the case with emerge? Should I not be running my emerge worlds from within a DE or WM, or does it not matter?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fedora's updater is just really shitty. Killing processes from an update script makes them stop running, who'd have thought‽

It's safe here - Gentoo neither starts services behind your back nor murders them. As long as you don't rely on equally brain-damaged software (like KDE's screen locker)
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the practical answer. Something can break, but it won't be the emerge, nor the built software. At most, the desktop will become a little flaky and need to be restarted. Here's why. In a perfect world, all shared libraries that could be used by a desktop environment would be identified at startup time and would be opened. That would guarantee that the running DE to have its own private (stable, unmodified) copy of all of the shared libraries that are being updated, even as they are being replaced by the running emerge. Unfortunately the world isn't perfect—and desktop environments are complicated beasts. It's unrealistic to expect all shared libraries to be identified like that. So, although much of the time, nothing will break, sometimes the DE will become flaky. On a single user machine, I wouldn't sweat it.

- John
daveg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I update from within a DE, and have odd behavior a time or two. My advice: Run the updates in a tmux or screen session so they are not disrupted by anything happening in the UI. Worst case, you jump to a text console, kill X, and reattach to the tmux/screen session.
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with daveg. The danger with the Fedora update process is that it (necessarily) makes non-atomic changes to the system, so an ill-timed crash can break things. The problem is that, if you run dnf update from an xterm (or GNOME terminal, or Konsole, or ...), then any error that kills the xterm will kill the dnf process. That means you need both xterm and the X server not to die. If you instead run the updater under tmux, then you only need tmux not to die. Tmux is simpler than either of the other two, and so is more likely to meet the conditions that JRG described for a safe run. All these dangers apply equally to all updaters, whether Fedora, Ubuntu, or Gentoo.

The only safe path would be for the kernel to provide a transactional filesystem, so that the updater could create its target filesystem image in private, where no other process can see or be affected by the queued updates. The updater then makes a single syscall that atomically makes all those changes visible to other processes. I am not aware of any way to do this with a mainline kernel, nor any popular patches that provide such a feature. Such a feature is likely quite complex to implement.
Roman_Gruber
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly remember having issues updating my box from a desctop environment.

I did for a while run portage from a tty and did tail -f /var/log/emerge.log or what it is called to see what is currently done by portage

--

The only issue with portage is that updating nvidia binary driver ruins Direct rendering. That's nvidia fault. And i am too lazy to hardmask newer packages as I did in the past.

--

Well binary updaters are general not that awesome. I had issues with arch linux killing itself and linux mint ruining hole bootloader... Stupid binary distros. WEll windows does the same, when you look at the nerd news ... with failed updates ... and firmware with windows 10.
I had several binary installations as backup distro over the years and they killed all themself during the update process. It seems reinstall is the way, and they never tested updates, and keep update sources. And binary distros are unfixable. I fixed several screwed up gentoo installtions but with binary nope, source does not exists, dependency hell ...
miket
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one reason I like using a build host. Just as updating while running a DE might put you in the situation where a newly emerged library or executable that does not replace a running program might cause problems if the DE tries to start it, your whole system may well go into an inconsistent state during the process of a long emerge. If a build goes off the rails (as sometimes happens) and you have to do some song and dance to work around the problem, your system is less than fully usable until you get the situation cleared up. If at this point you become so unlucky that you have to restart your system, you might find things not coming up properly.

By doing the big work of the builds in a chroot somewhere else, ebuilds that break are much less problematic. You can work out the problems and still have use of a fully functional main system. By the time you apply the updates to your main system, they all run pretty quickly and have much less chance of running into install-time problems.

Edit to add note to Roman_Gruber: by using the build host, you have your own private binary distro. If you have problems, you can work them out--and still retain that one advantage of binary distribution, the fast application of updates.
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
As long as you don't rely on equally brain-damaged software (like KDE's screen locker)

I'm curious. In what way is KDE's screen locker broken? What could happen in which circumstances?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take big desktop environments... GNOME and KDE. Now take a major version bump 3.x => 4.x. These two desktops also align MAJOR version bumps to a toolkit major version bump (not always but generally yes.)

So you are in KDE using Qt4 and you have an update (emerge, apt-get, yum, <insert poison> ) and what you are using is being updated. While kTerminal runtime will be in RAM and inodes for the library in-use will be preserved ... at some point you may launch an application whose complete run-time has not been installed and thus unexpected things can happen; usually the application does not launch until its runtimes are in alignment.

Now consider a binary distribution where they will replace almost everything, the chances of some aspect of the DE reloading but part of its runtime dependencies are not in alignment is larger.

I have been running Gentoo for over a decade and I have never ran into an update within a desktop environment "breaking things" partially because it is a rolling release, if you update regularly it is a few packages here and there. I also use Openbox so its a light DE and not a monolithic architecture.
Now an Ubuntu box I manage at work... that's different. Unity went odd and essentially crashed X during an update... took a bit to convince apt-get to continue via a terminal..
devilheart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin wrote:
Ant P. wrote:
As long as you don't rely on equally brain-damaged software (like KDE's screen locker)

I'm curious. In what way is KDE's screen locker broken? What could happen in which circumstances?

A few times my locked kde session could not be unlocked. All it shows is a black screen suggesting you to use loginctl to unlock the session. I don't have systemd, of course

Reference
augustin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilheart wrote:
augustin wrote:
Ant P. wrote:

A few times my locked kde session could not be unlocked. All it shows is a black screen suggesting you to use loginctl to unlock the session. I don't have systemd, of course

Reference

Oh! That's pretty bad!
Thanks for the reference.
I was fearing something like this.
I just started documenting KDE and systemd interdependencies.
http://linux.overshoot.tv/wiki/kde_and_systemd
devilheart
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

augustin wrote:

Oh! That's pretty bad!
Thanks for the reference.
I was fearing something like this.
I just started documenting KDE and systemd interdependencies.
http://linux.overshoot.tv/wiki/kde_and_systemd

You're welcome. This is bad indeed. A help message is not helpful if it assumes you are using a specific piece of software, and systemd is a behemoth. KDE devs should provide an emergency unlock script. This is one of the reasons why I migrated to FVWM. After all, the only "desktop" applications I am using are okular, gwenview, chromium and xterm. At least, I am proud to say there is at least a Gentoo box inside Intel :D
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run emerge operations inside tmux just if something happens to X for the terminal program, emerge will continue running and know nothing about the crashed programs.
So yes. I run package installs and updates most of the time from GUI side.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devilheart wrote:
I run a very minimal system with fluxbox (and no systemd of course). I've actually had a similar but much more benign thing happen with screensaver screen locking, where I couldn't unlock xscreensaver while updating within X. It hasn't happened in quite some time, and I'm not clear what update might have caused it...but all I had to do is to go to another VT (for example Ctrl-Alt-F1), login, and kill xscreensaver.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the xscreensaver problem with some PAM updates. XScreensaver needs to load and use PAM to verify your password, but does not keep enough of it loaded for that to work if you update PAM in certain ways. If you checked your logs after such a failure, you would likely see warnings about failing to load PAM files.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the xscreensaver problem is actually the same as the kscreenlocker problem. With the difference that kscreenlocker has the security issue covered that it may crash, so it's not as easy to gain access again.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I have seen the xscreensaver problem with some PAM updates. XScreensaver needs to load and use PAM to verify your password, but does not keep enough of it loaded for that to work if you update PAM in certain ways. If you checked your logs after such a failure, you would likely see warnings about failing to load PAM files.
Ahh...I'm sure you're correct, which explains why I haven't had it happen in a long time, as I no longer have pam installed.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It look to be a good idea to use the --resume option of Emerge when using it within a desktop environment even all the time during an upgrade, in case off ... an error. :D
Code:
man emerge
--resume(-r)
              Resumes  the  most  recent merge list that has been aborted due to an error.  This re-uses the arguments and options that were given with the original command that's being resumed, and the user may also provide additional options when calling --resume. It is an error to provide atoms or sets as arguments to --resume, since the arguments from  the  resumed  command  are  used  instead. Please  note  that this operation will only return an error on failure.  If there is nothing for portage to do, then portage will exit with a message and a success condition. A resume list will persist until it has been completed in entirety or until another aborted merge list replaces it.  The resume history is capable of storing two merge lists.  After one resume list completes,  it is  possible  to  invoke  --resume  once again in order to resume an older list.  The resume lists are stored in /var/cache/edb/mtimedb, and may be explicitly discarded by running `emaint --fix cleanresume` (see emaint(1)).

Hu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, --resume is meant to be used after you run emerge and it fails (whether due to system crash, out of space, out of memory, or a bug in the ebuild/upstream code). Per the documentation that you quoted inline, it is a shorthand for specifying the arguments of the last failed run (with a bit of cleverness to avoid redoing work that finished successfully). It is not a way to force emerge to gracefully handle untimely attempts to kill it, which is the problem discussed here.
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always do admin stuff in a tty rather than gui, this means in Gentoo I always use emerge in a tty. My admin user is able to use sudo and use a tty for almost everything (gparted being one exception where I use a gui as the admin user).
Regular user can use the gui but are unable to run emerge in anything other than read only mode.

I take a similar approach for other distros where cli package updates are supported with the exception of Mint where I think the gui update manager is the preferred option.

The only time I would think of using emerge in xterm would be if I wanted to capture output to copy and paste when asking for help, but I'd probably redirect emerge output and error outputs to a file and cut and paste from them ... something like
Code:
emerge -vuDN @world 1> temporary_emerge_output.txt 2> temporary_emerge_error_output.txt

running emerge in xterm would be the last thing I would want to do rather than something I would consider doing on a regular basis.
sligo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that i run into from time to time is a broken X because i've updated my kernel and forgot about Nvidia drivers. Other then that, i never had trouble running emerge updates from inside XFCE terminal.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
It is not a way to force emerge to gracefully handle untimely attempts to kill it, which is the problem discussed here.

I know this but, there is no absolute certitude that Emerge will not break due to itself or a parent application, X, Init and Linux. Anyway I never use X for upgrade, I use virtual terminals what I recommand for all Linux distributions. In the rare cases I did it in X, I do not remember any problem with the distributions I have used.

When I press Ctrl+c in the terminal where Emerge run, there is nothing it can do to not die. It refer to it's writen metadatas to know what have been done the next time it run. Emerge cannot be detach from everything.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logicien wrote:
Hu wrote:
It is not a way to force emerge to gracefully handle untimely attempts to kill it, which is the problem discussed here.

I know this but, there is no absolute certitude that Emerge will not break due to itself or a parent application, X, Init and Linux. Anyway I never use X for upgrade, I use virtual terminals what I recommand for all Linux distributions. In the rare cases I did it in X, I do not remember any problem with the distributions I have used.
Your previous post recommended to run emerge always with the option --resume. I responded to that post because that is usually the wrong thing to do. According to the documentation you quoted in that prior post, using --resume is not meaningful when the user wants to start a new merge. It is not legal to specify new atoms when using --resume, but specifying new atoms is normal when the user wants to start a new merge.
Logicien wrote:
When I press Ctrl+c in the terminal where Emerge run, there is nothing it can do to not die.
This is also wrong. It is very easy to install a handler for SIGINT, and many programs do so for legitimate reasons. Once installed, a SIGINT handler can ignore a ^C or allow the program to perform some cleanup, then exit. As far as I know, emerge does not install such a handler, but that does not mean it is impossible.
Logicien wrote:
It refer to it's writen metadatas to know what have been done the next time it run. Emerge cannot be detach from everything.
Running emerge under a tmux does not detach it from everything, but does detach it from your X session. Further, if the Portage developers wished to spend the effort to do so, they could arrange for emerge to detach itself from the terminal entirely. This would allow it to continue running even if the parent terminal is destroyed. There is relatively little use for such a feature, since concerned users can so easily emulate almost all of its benefits.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you're brave you can emerge/update while in a DE, but as suggested many times, the rug will be pulled from beneath you and things can and will break. Hopefully that terminal emulator won't need to pull more data from the disk because it might have disappeared (DON'T CHANGE FONTS!) Really doesn't matter what OS, many will require a reboot or at least a GUI restart to fix things.

Worst things that I've encountered during emerges that have basically killed the DE:
- xscreensaver/pam/shadow/gnome-screensaver - can't unlock screen anymore.
- xfce4-panel and other DE main panels - file locations changed and no more items on the panel.
- library versions change mid flight and no longer exist, can't open new terminals or other programs
- half baked / killed emerges that have inconsistent DE revisions on disk

There is good reason why M$ wants reboots every update, and now we're seeing strange occurrences in our DEs... Fortunately for M$ most of the changes they tried hard to be backwards compatible so half-bake problems don't happen as often.
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right Hu about the --resume option. It must only be provided after an error without any new atom. If you really worry about Emerge being kill by a Gentoo upgrade you can do it in a chroot if you trust the host. Than you can have the Gui of the host.

Hu wrote:
This is also wrong. It is very easy to install a handler for SIGINT, and many programs do so for legitimate reasons. Once installed, a SIGINT handler can ignore a ^C or allow the program to perform some cleanup, then exit. As far as I know, emerge does not install such a handler, but that does not mean it is impossible.

Here you judge me "wrong" on a feature that Emerge do not have.

Hu wrote:
Running emerge under a tmux does not detach it from everything, but does detach it from your X session.

I am not talking about Tmux only here, I talk about the risks that Emerge can be kill in general. I think you see something wrong where there is none. You are a moderator with just a little bit of controlling grips too, over me at least.

I try to say things that are related to the subject. When I post it's with the idea of helping to find a solution until things become silly. Than yes, I must shut up. Let's the free speech going on.
:wink:

Last edited by Logicien on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: