Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins no FLASH ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins no FLASH ? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

did I miss something or why is there no flash plugin included anymore in www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins ?

As far as I know

www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-53.0.2767.4_alpha

or

www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins-54.0.2816.0_alpha

were the last versions that let chromium display the Adobe flash Plugin in about:plugins :?:

Thanks

edit:

For those advocating HTML5 Video

well, great

with Adobe Flash the GPU and CPU load is significantly lower and equals power and energy savings == less heat,

also video output is smoother

seems like no one thought about environmental friendliness while pushing for a successor to Adobe Flash :?

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The flash player is now provided by www-plugins/adobe-flash:22
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is odd. I can confirm adobe-flash is required to play flash content in chromium. I seem to recall Google was maintaining their own.

So much for my plans to completely ditch adobe flash. Oh well, at least Hulu doesn't need to have fake-hal anymore.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on this Google web-log, Google is deprecating flash in Chrome in favour of H.T.M.L. 5.

According to the Adobe knowledge base, Chrome includes a flash player, but to use flash in Chromium, one must install it from Adobe's site.

Adobe's web-log says that they will be releasing both Netscape and Pepper flash player for Linux and keeping the major versions synchronized.

Thus, it sounds like the releases of Adobe's flash player for Linux might be a bit different from now on.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTML5 advocating following:
I've lived without flash or any replacements for at least two years now. At first it was a bit hard. Especially when the HTML video playback was terribly optimized and caused huge overhead. But now the video playback (at least on youtube) without flash does not cause much more overhead than if I was playing the video using native video player. So if you still have the overhead issues vith videos, I'd check that the harware accelerations are on.

Of course this isn't possible with some sites that do need flash (maybe for other purposes than just displaying video). But for the general video sites I've been very happy with the current development of html video.
Featherfoot
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you suggesting that Firefox doesn't need Flash?
Zucca

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Featherfoot wrote:
Are you suggesting that Firefox doesn't need Flash?
Maybe that's not what you actually asked but... Flash isn't a dependency of Firefox... Unless you asked just for that, the dependency. Then no. Firefox does not need flash.
It's completely different question to ask: "Do you need flash?". If asked from me, the answer would be "So rarely that it's not worth installing and opening potential backdoors."
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
The Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use flash adding a flash blocker is a good idea. Most web sites shouldn't be allowed to run flash or javascript as they can be used to do nasty things.

<script>window.alert("This is why");</script>

As you can see, the forum was made by professionals. My lame example of a javascript program is properly escaped.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Chiitoo
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: ><)))°€ Reply with quote

The original question seems to have been answered, but I do want to make a sidey-note on this:

kernelOfTruth wrote:
with Adobe Flash the GPU and CPU load is significantly lower and equals power and energy savings == less heat,

also video output is smoother

I find this curious, because I feel my experiences have been the exact opposite, where flash-based players used /way/ more resources than HTML5-based.

It was so bad, that I started to use various methods of downloading the videos I wanted to watch, and use a proper player for it (granted, I still do that even while the situation feels like it has been improved upon quite a bit). I finally uninstalled adobe-flash completely in late 2015, and haven't missed it one bit (did not use the pepper-flavour of it either, and it is good to see that even Chrome is finally getting rid of it, although I don't even use it).

There probably could be a stand-alone topic discussing/comparing the performance of HTML5 somewhere around here. :]
Astronome
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
Of course this isn't possible with some sites that do need flash (maybe for other purposes than just displaying video). But for the general video sites I've been very happy with the current development of html video.

I need Flash so my kids can play free internet games.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: