View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: MythTV 0.28 status Reply with quote

I was curious as to what experiences anyone here has had with MythTV 0.28. One thing I see is that there's apparently a missing dependency on dev-qt/qtxml that may need to be added:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=582218

I'm especially interested in finding out about anyone running it without systemd. I see in the changelog that it includes mythlogserver for non-systemd systems, and I'm curious as to whether that all works out. I'm currently logging just to log files under /var/log/mythtv...no syslog etc.

When I try this I'll probably use my local overlay in any case in order to make the same change I've added to mythtv-0.27.6_p20160318 as described here:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=580856

That is, to remove the dev-qt/qtdbus dependency as well as the sys-fs/udisks dependency for dvd support. With that I'm running fine with no udisks or dbus with my DVD device manually set as /dev/sr0.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, and 1000 thanks to the MythTV maintainers! MythTV on Gentoo is the best.

Tom
jd2066
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: MythTV 0.28 status Reply with quote

tld wrote:
I'm especially interested in finding out about anyone running it without systemd.

I'm running mythtv without systemd.

tld wrote:
I see in the changelog that it includes mythlogserver for non-systemd systems

This is actually a mistake as in MythTV 0.28, mythlogserver is:
1. Optional and not built by default when compiling mythtv.
2. Not needed for regular logging to files, syslog, standard output, etc.
3. Not required when systemd is not used.

I know this because I'm subscribed to the mythtv-users mailing list and after the release of mythtv 0.28, I saw a thread talking about the ebuild which was discussing if mythlogserver was needed for openrc users.
One person who I think was one of the ebuild maintainers asked people to comment out the requirement for mythlogserver when not using systemd in the ebuild and to report if mythlogserver was really needed.
I and other users did that and found that it was indeed not needed.
I think it was some other posts in the thread that mentioned mythlogserver was now an optional component that isn't built by default.
After that, I assumed the ebuild in the gentoo tree would be updated to reflect this information but I'm not sure if actually happened.

tld wrote:
That is, to remove the dev-qt/qtdbus dependency as well as the sys-fs/udisks dependency for dvd support. With that I'm running fine with no udisks or dbus with my DVD device manually set as /dev/sr0.

I remember seeing a post on the mythtv-users mailing list about if that dependency was actually needed with 0.28.
Like that bug report, I don't think any consensus on what to do about it was reached.
It does appear that from what I've read, udisks is just used to get information on when drives are mounted/unmounted and for DVD drives if a disk is inserted/removed but is not actually used for playback of DVDs.
I can't confirm this as I do have udisks installed (I think some desktop environment wanted it).
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info! Great to know about mythlogserver. I'd definitely like to avoid that if it's optional.

I think my plan will be to try that from my overlay with:

1. The missing dev-qt/qtxml added,
2. The line to force the mythlogserver USE for non-systemd removed (and -mythlogserver in my USE),
3. The dev-qt/qtdbus and sys-fs/udisks dependencies removed.

I'm sure that udisks is in fact only for finding drives. Again, everything works great in 0.27.6 without it. I think the remaining questions around the dependency in the ebuild are around convenience etc...especially for those who have multiple drives for example.

Thanks again!
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting my ebuild together for the 0.28 upgrade.

I was really stunned with the crap I found out about qtwebkit requiring ruby...and apparently it's just required for the build process(??). Insane.

Was there ever any consensus as to whether or not MythTV even needs qtwebkit at all? Without something like mythbrowser in use I can't imagine why it would. It's hard to be sure, but looking at the configure script it appears to be a hard dependency(??).

Tom
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Particularly for large projects, it is possible that the configure script marks something as a dependency, but that nothing installed actually uses it. When in doubt, patch the configure test not to access that dependency, uninstall it to be sure it is not used automagically, and try to build the project. If it works, great, you found a bogus dependency. If it fails, the error should give you some hint about how critical or not this dependency is to the overall project. Maybe it is only needed for features you are willing to turn off, or is only used in situations that you can patch out with an acceptable (possibly very small) loss in functionality.
jd2066
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@tld: I just looked and it appears you opened a new topic about this on mythtv-users.
For the benefit of anyone that may find this topic on the Gentoo Forums but not the topic on the mythtv-users, I will quote the first reply here:
Quote:
qtwebkit is/was also being used to show program details (Hit 'I' with a recording selected). In master the dependency on qtwebkit has been removed. I probably should back port that change to fixes/0.28.

John
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! You beat me to it ;). I was going to add that here.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, there seems to be some disagreement among the devs as to whether qtwebkit is a requirement. I believe it's only required for mythbrowser (?) but I'm not 100% sure.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another update: qtwebkit is required for MythBrowser, and also MythNews, MythNetVision, and MythMusic use MythBrowser. I've asked if it would be possible to have a configure option to skip qtwebkit assuming you don't plan on installing any of those plugins, and whether or not other code expects, for example, the qtwebkit heads to exist.

All that aside, I went ahead and installed the dependencies (including qtwebket) yesterday using "emerge --oneshot". It took my old systems about 5 to 6 hours to compile qtwebkit...a bit painful.

I just upgraded MythTV today. The only thing I had to change was that I missed the fact that the ebuild needed to have the media-gfx/exiv2 added. Everything went flawlessly after that and things are working great...loving it, and loving the lack of mythlogserver!

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small update to this: Since my last update needed to recompile MythTV and Qt5 due to dependency upgrades, I went ahead an added Qt 5.7.1 to my package.keywords and used that. All working great so far.

Note that I'm not using dbus, and I had to remove the gtk USE flag from dev-qt/qtgui, as 5.7.1 wanted to pull in gtk+3 and dbus with it. That worked as well.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This package is in dire need of a maintainer. If you are interested in helping out to keep this package available in Portage, please consider to step up as a proxy maintainer.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers

@tld, it seems you are maintaining your own mythtv ebuild, while there is a (yet) masked 0.28 version in tree as well - is there any delta worth reporting?
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
@tld, it seems you are maintaining your own mythtv ebuild, while there is a (yet) masked 0.28 version in tree as well - is there any delta worth reporting?
Sorry...I didn't notice this until today (I wish the "View your posts" kept a little longer history). As far as any changes to the ebuild, not really. In my case I'm maintaining my own ebuild with the udisks (and as a result, the QtDBus/dbus) dependencies removed when DVD support is enabled. However I just have those deps removed outright, and not based on any USE flag etc, and nobody was ever sure how that might be handled.

Speaking of which, I just exchanged a few comments on the related bug today. I'm still confused as to that bug just getting marked as resolved, and I'm not following the replies there:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=580856

I just know that MythTV works fine without that stuff...confusing.

Tom
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What this means is that there is no mechanism to disable dbus usage from a build switch. The build system will enable or disable it based on availability at build time - Pacho's link should explain very well why we can not work with that.

mythtv is soon going to be de-stabilised - 0.27 will be simply dropped and 0.28 kept ~arch keyworded.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
What this means is that there is no mechanism to disable dbus usage from a build switch. The build system will enable or disable it based on availability at build time.
Ahhh...I get it. I totally missed the fact that the MythTV configure script has nothing like "--disable-dbus" or the like. The only reason this works for my ebuild is because I've removed the dependency and simply don't have dbus installed at all. I can see where portage can't work with that. Thanks for the clarification!
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a failed compile of mythtv-0.28.1-r1. I note however that it fails after a section of the code that puzzles me.

Code:
rm -f libmythupnp-0.28.so.0.28.0 libmythupnp-0.28.so libmythupnp-0.28.so.0 libmythupnp-0.28.so.0.28
x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -Wl,-O1 -shared -Wl,-soname,libmythupnp-0.28.so.0 -o libmythupnp-0.28.so.0.28.0 mmulticastsocketdevice.o msocketdevice.o msocketdevice_unix.o httprequest.o upnp.o ssdp.o taskqueue.o upnputil.o upnpdevice.o upnptasknotify.o upnptasksearch.o httpserver.o upnpcds.o upnpcdsobjects.o bufferedsocketdevice.o eventing.o upnpcmgr.o upnpmsrr.o upnptaskevent.o ssdpcache.o configuration.o soapclient.o mythxmlclient.o mmembuf.o upnpserviceimpl.o htmlserver.o serverSideScripting.o servicehost.o wsdl.o upnpsubscription.o xsd.o upnphelpers.o websock Iet.o rtti.o serializer.o xmlSerializer.o jsonSerializer.o xmlplistSerializer.o websocket_mythevent.o moc_httpserver.o moc_ssdpcache.o moc_serverSideScripting.o moc_websocket.o moc_rtti.o moc_websocket_mythevent.o  -L../libmythbase -lmythbase-0.28 -L../libmythservicecontracts -lmythservicecontracts-0.28 -lXext -lXinerama -lXxf86vm -lXv -lXrandr -lxml2 -lcrypto -lass -lfftw3_threads -lfftw3f -lfftw3 -lsystemd -lva-x11 -lva -lxcb -lxcb-shm -lxcb-xfixes -lxcb-shape -lX11 -lpulse -ljack -lasound -lfreetype -lxvidcore -lvorbisenc -lvorbis -ltheoraenc -ltheoradec -logg -lmp3lame -lm -llzma -lbz2 -lz -ludev -pthread -ldl -lGL -L/usr/lib64 -lQt5Gui -lQt5Network -lQt5Xml -lQt5Sql -L/usr/lib64/mysql -lQt5Script -lQt5Core -lpthread -lGLESv2 
ln -s libmythupnp-0.28.so.0.28.0 libmythupnp-0.28.so
ln -s libmythupnp-0.28.so.0.28.0 libmythupnp-0.28.so.0
ln -s libmythupnp-0.28.so.0.28.0 libmythupnp-0.28.so.0.28

If the libraries are removed, how can symlinks be created? Is this an error in the code, or have I misunderstood it? can anyone explain?

[Moderator edit: changed bare double-quote characters to [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, MythTV 29.0 is the current release, I'm considering ditching 0.28. https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_29.0
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gcyoung: you misunderstand. A symbolic link can be created in a dangling state, pointing to nothing. This is not very useful, but it is legal. To be useful, the symlink target would need to be brought into existence later, or all consumers of the symlink would need to understand that it is not meant to point to a file. What is the failure you saw?
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Mythtv Reply with quote

Thanks Hu. I did not know that. My programming experience is a bit ancient and was with pascal, (and a little lisp) and I think the compiler would have screamed out at anything like that in the past.

My compilation terminated abruptly after the passage I entered (above), with the following, which I have not found to be very informative.

Code:
make[2]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.28.1-r1/work/mythtv-0.28.1/mythtv/libs/libmythservicecontracts'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mythtv-0.28.1-r1/work/mythtv-0.28.1/mythtv/libs'
make: *** [Makefile:67: libs] Error 2
 * ERROR: media-tv/mythtv-0.28.1-r1::gentoo failed (compile phase):
 *   emake failed

I have no idea how to unravel the error so unless I learn that there is a bug in the code, which I can report I shall stick with version 0.27 until 0.29 is available.

Incidentally, and for general information. I understand double quotes are generally the normal method in English used to indicate a quotation within a literary context.

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]

Last edited by gcyoung on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to look at the error, you posted the post-error message only. BTW, there will be no 0.29, the new version is 29.0.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I just recently updated to 0.28.1-r1 successfully. That was on x86. I also have my own ebuild, though it's only modified so as to skip udisks2 and qtDBus. As Jaglover indicated, the pertinent error text will be the first error which will be a ways above what you posted.

Tom
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: mythtv Reply with quote

I have solved my problem. It seems to have been caused by opengl, which had its flag set from the 'emerging' of earlier versions of mythtv. Examination of the failed code indicated errors around references to opengl. I had noticed earlier that an overall update of the system had called for an update of mesa which I had not been able to do, because of blocking between differing versions of llvm being called for by the system.

Anyway, I deleted opengl from my USE flags, the llvm blocking problem appeared to be solved, and I am now currently executing an update of 52 files which were called for on the omission of opengl -- which I was not aware I still had on the system!
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quotes are normal in English prose, but forum software has better and more descriptive alternatives. Although your actual text didn't benefit from this as much as some posts do, code tags provide value in two ways: they use a monospace font, and they preserve whitespace that would otherwise be collapsed.

In all the posts I've cleaned for missing/incorrect quote/code tags, yours was the first I'd seen somebody mark something with double quotes instead of a bad tag. I didn't have a canned edit for that one.
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: mythtv Reply with quote

I was wrong in thinking I had solved my problem with mythtv-0.28.1-r1. Changes I made stopped a block which prevented an update, and I assumed that the continuation of an update would also include the 'emergence' of mythtv. The errors I cannot resolve are as follows:

Code:
mythrender_opengl1.cpp:33:18: error: ‘GL_FLAT’ was not declared in this scope
     glShadeModel(GL_FLAT);
                  ^
mythrender_opengl1.cpp:33:25: error: ‘glShadeModel’ was not declared in this scope
     glShadeModel(GL_FLAT);
                         ^
mythrender_opengl1.cpp:34:15: error: ‘GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH’ was not declared in this scope
     glDisable(GL_POLYGON_SMOOTH);

This section continues in the same way, with references to continuing mythrender_opengl1.cpp.

I found a posting of the same error where there was an attempt to install this version of mythtv with arch linux on a raspberry p1 ( see https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/13031 ), They conclude here that the errors lie in the compilation of mesa and [/usr/include/GL/gl.h /usr/include/GLES/gl.h].

I have re-emerged mesa using various flags several times with no positive result. The only flag I have not employed is 'opencl' which fails to compile on my machine because of a dependency dev-libs/libclc-0.2.0_pre20160921 which I understand is under investigation at present.

Brief details of my settings are as follows:
Code:

kernel:4.12.12-gentoo
CPU: AMD64 dual core
VIDEO_CARDS='amdgpu radeonsi'
USE="X -handbook -gnome -kde -consolekit -wifi abi_x86_64 encode systemd av alsa amd64 iee1394 firewire avi mpg mpeg \
 -modemmanager -network-manager httpd cdrom dvb dvd fontconfig imagemagick jpeg lame threads mmx mmxext v4l2  \
 sse sse2 sse4a 3dnow 3dnowext 3dnowprefetch gstreamer udisks truetype unicode usb fat ntfs python gbm X x265 x264 \
 qt3support xml xv pdf perl ffmpeg  png iplayer exif dv theora ogg extras flac flash flv mkv mts ts tiff gif vorbis \
 scanner -samba ipv6 egl aac gif gimp jpeg bluetooth lua aac mp4 java lirc dbus divx xvid mp3 mp2 gpm pulseaudio  \
 -radeon vdpau vaapi nfs gui libass mad popcnt html5 dvbpsi glamor mesa gallium gles2 opengl dri3 sdl cairo wayland"
#
package.use flags for media-libs/mesa:
  " video_cards_amdgpu vdpau vaapi wayland llvm gles1 gles2 gallium egl dri3 gbm xa "

package.use flags for media-tv/mythtv-0.28.1-r1
"alsa dvb dvd egl hls* libass lirc* mythlogserver%* perl pulseaudio python systemd%* theora vaapi vdpau vorbis wrapper xml xvid (-altivec) -autostart -bluray -cec -crystalhd -debug -fftw -ieee1394 -jack -lcd -xmltv -zeroconf" INPUT_DEVICES="-joystick" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" "

I have blackisted the radeon driver, and do not have it enabled in the kernel.

Any help, advice, or other assistance would be gratefully accepted. I believe that if I cannot resolve this I may have to report it as a bug

[Moderator edit: changed bare brackets to [code] tags to preserve output layout. I advise using code tags directly in future posts. -Hu]
gcyoung
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Mythtv=0.28.1-r1 Reply with quote

I note that the errors I have encountered are identical to those listed on the Mythtv website referred to above. Since I cannot discover any errors in my settings, and I see that the errors were corrected in version -0.28.2 I shall remain with version 0.27 until a later, (amended?) version is available.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you try to create a version bump yourself and then submit it on Gentoo's github mirror!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: