steam or Origin or uplay ?????
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ab0dex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: steam or Origin or uplay ????? Reply with quote

steam , Origin , uplay
Games run all computer platforms, but the question which is better for you you ??

Subject for discussion :wink:
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Old Games, because it is DRM-free.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam is broken 32-bit-only garbage that only works fully on a dead version of Ubuntu, and the others don't even run on Linux.

I've learned two valuable lessons: 1) if I can't have physical media in my hand I don't own what I paid for. 2) If it can't be installed via an ebuild, even a fetchrestricted one, it's going to be broken crap.
Buffoon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go ...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: steam or Origin or uplay ????? Reply with quote

ab0dex wrote:
steam , Origin , uplay
Games run all computer platforms, but the question which is better for you you ??

Hello. I removed the website from your profile as it seemed like possible spam.

--pjp
ab0dex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: steam or Origin or uplay ????? Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
ab0dex wrote:
steam , Origin , uplay

Hello. I removed the website from your profile as it seemed like possible spam.

--pjp

So you ^ _ ^
ab0dex
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
Steam is broken 32-bit-only garbage that only works fully on a dead version of Ubuntu, and the others don't even run on Linux.

I've learned two valuable lessons: 1) if I can't have physical media in my hand I don't own what I paid for. 2) If it can't be installed via an ebuild, even a fetchrestricted one, it's going to be broken crap.

Thank you for your opinion
TheTick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

Well said! Stream is overrated.
Vulgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since ssd's are so cheap, as little as $35 usd with enough room for SteamOS and some games. It is simply best to use SteamOS, rather than deal with installing and maintaining Steam on a different OS. I recently re-installed due to a graphics card change. It only took 15 mins to install, was real easy, just make sure you select the correct drive to install SteamOS to.

With all the difficulties and the 32 bit requirements, to run Steam on Gentoo, or any other flavor of Linux, the hassle is not worth it. I got tired of dealing with updates, and graphics card updates, that would cause a lot of work to get Steam running again.

I have had no problems at all running SteamOS, and no issues running a newer Amd graphics card, everything just works. Now I can just play when I want, in the time it takes to boot into SteamOS, everything updates, and if there is a problem, I know I can re-install in 15 mins.

Stick with SteamOS if you want to spend your time playing games, rather than getting Steam to work on Gentoo.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:

steam is 64bit only now
Vulgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam may be only 64 bit now, was not aware of that because I have been running SteamOS, does not tell you what goes on, and I do not care, it simply works. If run with Gentoo there will be continuing issues as an overlay will have to be used, either existing or self made. Some overlay's are better than others, while some get timely updates while some do not.

Besides using a separate ssd for SteamOS, of course an existing drive could be used for dual/multi booting, either via adding bios/gpt partitions and or lvm etc.

In the past I spent a lot of time dickin around with Steam overlays, and all the update issues. Will not go back. I can now, not boot SteamOS for weeks or months, do the updates, reboot and it works every-time. If it does not, in 15 mins can be re-installed, plus game re-install, i have a 300Mbs connection, but only see 19-20MBs download speed when downloading Steam games, still rather fast to download lots of GB's. Far less time than I wasted with dealing with Steam overlays. If your are really worried about having to download the game, simply mount the SteamOS partition and backup the games, then replace after re-installing SteamOS, and do a file check, it will then only download what is needed and get everything working without downloading the whole game.

Really does not make any sense to run Steam on a different OS. Do not get me wrong, Gentoo is my longtime favorite since 2000. But there is something to just playing rather than dealing with the issues that will come up. When I want to play a game, I want to play a game, it is usually when I am burned out from dealing with fixing issues with updates with one of the many Linux flavors I maintain, production and personal use.

I am certainly not a fan of debian or anything running systemd, or that SteamOS is built to resemble a gaming console. But when in game I cannot tell the difference, it is just not any good for anything else. Various desktops can be installed and used, with some gnome desktop available out of the box, it really is not an alternative for a regular desktop replacement, in my opinion.

Every tool has it's use.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have zero issues with Steam on Gentoo to be honest. Sure, it installs a 32-bit envrionment because it needs to support 32-bit games, I have no problem with that. But everything that is supposed to work, works just fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: