Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Login as root with LightDM? (Gentoo/Gnome 3)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Login as root with LightDM? (Gentoo/Gnome 3) Reply with quote

Good day.

I ran an emerge @world recently (one week ago), and I wanted to switch from LXDM to LightDM.
However, since I am the person that handles everything in the PC, I do not have a user account.
Instead I login as root everytime I need to make some changes, and I login into the desktop environment.

The problem is that LightDM doesn't seem to have an option to login as root, even though I already enabled the manual login so that I get the "Other..." option in LightDM.
I enter "root" as user and my password, but LightDM refuses to login with the root user.

My question is, is there a way to make LightDM recognize the root user along with is password?

Thanks in advance!
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are mistaken, root is not user, root is administrator. The general consensus is the most stupid thing is to use your system as root. The second most stupid thing is to run X as root. You seem to be guilty in both counts.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think that's a security feature of LightDM to be not be able login as root.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Logicien
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must create a normal user account to resolv the problem. This imply that you will have to configure from the default your new user settings. You can use the su and sudo commands to get root previleges from a normal user session.

By this you can use root previleges the minimum time as possible, only when a normal user cannot do what you want, what is the best for security. The less you use root previleges the best it is to advoid nasty mistakes who can dammage the system too. A normal user is not allow to play out of his home directory.

These come from Unix like operating systems very basic knowledge to apply.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to add that if you and only you use that particular computer and you're perfect in executing commands and never use unstable programs, then why you even use display manager at all. Just have root log in automatically?
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
ShadowOne333
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no noob, I know what I'm doing with the computer, that's why I'm the administrator of it.
It's just that I have everything (files, documents, notes, etc) in the root account, and I have always administrated everything using X as root.

I cannot make the computer auto-login to root however, since there are other users and this computer and that would give them instant access to the root account, which is something I don't think it's good.
I did try to make LightDM autologin to root, and that DID work, but as I mentioned, I cannot have that option enabled always.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowOne333 wrote:
I cannot make the computer auto-login to root however, since there are other users and this computer and that would give them instant access to the root account, which is something I don't think it's good.
Then you should create a seperate account for yourself. But that's just me saying.
However instead telling you that ”it is wrong and you shouldn't do it” you could always try and create an alias account for root. I'm certainly not sure how that can be accoplished, but maybe by creating a seperate account that belongs to group 'root' and has the same home directory as root account would be a start. There might be conflicts... it's your own risk.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowOne333 wrote:
I'm no noob, I know what I'm doing with the computer, that's why I'm the administrator of it.
It's just that I have everything (files, documents, notes, etc) in the root account, and I have always administrated everything using X as root.
I, too, think that I know exactly what I am doing with each of the computers where I have root privilege. I also know that many of the things I run do not need that privilege, and that by granting that privilege only to the programs which need it, I can protect myself from problems, whether caused by typos or program bugs. Thus, I always log in as my normal user, then elevate only those programs that have a specific articulable need for privilege. Tradition is rarely a good reason to continue poor practice once a better practice is known. Fortunately for you, root's privileges include reassigning ownership, so you can use the root account to give your existing documents to a new unprivileged account, so that you do not lose your existing work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: